Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Making Fun Of ADHD ….. Or Just Having Fun?

Making Fun Of ADHD ….. Or Just Having Fun?2010-03-31T16:53:48+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Making Fun Of ADHD ….. Or Just Having Fun?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know if she is making fun of ADHD, or poking ridicule at the pharma industry …..

She is just a teenager, but certainly got a few things right! LOL

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

i loved the side effect of having the inability to “use your arms”.

thanks for sharing. too funny!

REPORT ABUSE

Mike

I like the suggestion from the Now What workshop they did at the Science Centre a while back:

If someone makes fun of you, go even further and make fun of yourself.

I used to get pissed at people who made fun of me. I was really touchy. I still am, I guess.

Anyways, what happened was a ‘friend’ made fun of my memory when a bunch of us were out at a restaurant. He said it as a joke, “Man, you would forget your own funeral! You are so spaced out sometimes.” And everyone laughed, but it sure felt like there was an edge to what he said. Like he was taking a shot at me.

But on the way to the restaurant (and yes I was late) I decided I would try the ‘laughing at myself’ idea.

So when he took his shot at me, I forced a smile and then said, “This is nothing. One time I was giving a presentation to a client at an airport hotel, with a special room booked, and I showed up on the wrong day. A week ahead! I sat there for like an hour, waiting, getting cheesed at these people for not showing up!”

Everyone laughed.

So I told another story about my memory. And everyone laughed. But it was a different kind of laugh. It was like a laugh you would want from your friends.

I have done this a couple of times since, but it’s hard, cause my first reaction is always a nasty, Screw off, which I never say, I just think, and I shut down. Which is kind of dumb, cause I’m letting someone ruin my evening or whatever.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

And there you have the reason why so many kids who are picked on, grow up to become comedians or comic actors.

When you’re a kid, if people are always laughing at you for being who you are, it gives you a horrible feeling of helplessness. You keep wanting to say, “What did I ever do to you?” But that just makes them mock you even more. It’s soul-destroying. It can even be life-destroying. It very nearly was for me, and I was just a child.

But when you discover that if you can deliberately make people laugh, YOU have the power over THEM, it’s an amazing feeling. And so, you study the people who are good at comedy. And you practise making people laugh whenever you can, until you become a master at it. Until you become a master of THEM. And once you have mastered the trick of turning an embarrassing situation into something that YOU can laugh about FIRST, then life is much, much easier, and much, much more fun.

And I say this as someone who spent 45 minutes walking up the Vegas Strip, with a 3-foot-long piece of toilet paper hanging out the back of her trousers, and then when an embarrassed security guard pointed it out, I just tossed away the paper and scampered away, laughing. The poor security guard must have thought I’d escaped from somewhere. Can you imagine how MORTIFIED I’d have been if I hadn’t learned how to laugh at stuff like that? As it is, I’m thinking of doing it again, on Yonge Street, just to see how long it takes for someone to point it out to me. But I’m not sure if I could keep a straight face while I was doing it.

REPORT ABUSE

Monika

Even better Larynxa, when someone points it out to you say, “Oh that? That’s just my tail.”

:), M

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Too funny! You are all great!!

I hear that I’m funny all the time and it always makes me stop and think about what I just said. “It was funny? Was that funny?”

I thought I was just telling them some little inane part of my day and but instead I’ve made them laugh. How did that happen?”

Well, my days aren’t boring, that’s for sure. But funny?

What did Reader’s Digest magazine say? Laughter is the best medicine??

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

This raises the question of the difference between a comic and a comedian. A comic says or does funny things. A comedian says or does things funny—that is, normal things in a funny way. Which sort of makes all of us with ADHD, comedians by nature. Though in our individual cases, that could mean either funny (ha-ha) or funny (strange). Or both.

This is the best explanation I can come up with for why I love the physical comedy in late silent and early sound comedy films (and Bill’s Adventures up at Possum Lodge), but I hate, loathe and despise clowns (since they’re not at all rooted in the real world). I much prefer believable characters in a believable situation that gradually spins out of control. Especially if it takes pompous, nasty authority figures who have no tolerance for anyone who’s different, down with it.

If you want a really good laugh, watch two of my favourite examples of this. “The Music Box” and “Big Business”, both by Laurel & Hardy.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)