Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Marital issues led to diagnosis .. Waiting for official diagnosis and meds

Marital issues led to diagnosis .. Waiting for official diagnosis and meds2011-03-26T01:08:49+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! I Suspect I Am Marital issues led to diagnosis .. Waiting for official diagnosis and meds

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My wife and I are having marital issues after I purchased a motorcycle without consulting her. I am 64 and she is 63. We have started counseling and my folks are telling me that I am ADD … I take the online tests and they say I am ADD. I am reading everything I can and it is telling me that I am ADD so I probably am. I am on Celexa right now to even out mood swings but the 20mg dose might be too small. I have an appointment April 4 to get a real diagnosis and hopefully meds. From what I am reading Adderal is good .. Can anyone recommend anything or ???

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi I am 48 years old I also bought a motorcycle without the wife nowing. she did come to terms with it after a while. it is hard to enjoy my bike after spending $15000 on my bike. on top of it all my insurrance is another $1600 a year. now she says I should ride after all we have spent and she says she can tell how much I love my bike. the only thing I find she uses it to guilt me into things now.I guess it is the price I will have to pay for my inpulssiveity. so I hope she will come to terms with your bike . nothing like the open road and wind to clear the mind. GOOD LUCK . hope you both enjoy the bike.

Just wondering what kind of bike did you buy? what is the riding season like where you are? I only get to ride from may to september. still I love it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Adderall and Concerta are probably the top two meds. Be patient about finding the right one. For some folks it takes many tries and adjustments, for others the first one works (think of finding the right med like finding the best fitting shoes).

About that motorcycle (I’m a motorcycle instructor), are you signed up for a motorcycle safety class? Even if you’ve ridden before – VERY worth the time/money! May also help ease your wife’s very real concerns about your safety. You can google Motorcycle Safety Foundation to find the nearest course to you. Folks in our age bracket (50-60) are the fastest growing segment of dead riders (yes, I said DEAD). Having ADD is a factor that will greatly effect your ability to stay safe on the road on your bike.

Best of luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trashman .. I bought a Vulcan 900 that was loaded. I put 30 miles on it before I sold it for more than I paid. I had a 400 cc scooter before the bike and now have a 650 burgman scooter. Dont know why scooters are ok and not bikes but learned my lesson.

Lionlady .. I try to ride as safe as possible. I ride with legion riders and do not drink before or during a ride (anymore) Used to think one or two beers was ok but promised not to do it so keeping promise. I will take a safety course when I find the right one. I wear a helmut all the time and leathers when I am on the highway for over 35 miles …

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

One more thing folks … I am a retired IBMer and was successful in my job although I had to work much harder than most. I have always had problems concentrating for long periods of time, been able to go from cold to hot to cold in a finger snap, and have most if not all of the symptoms listed. My wife says I verbally abused her on and off for years so I am fairly sure I am ADD. I currently have no insurance and am going to the VA for treatment and meds .. So far they have been really good with me. I have to pay some but that is ok with me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rich, what would be the “right” motorcycle course? There are two offered by the MSF that you can do on your own motorcycle. Even the long time riders that I’ve taught the Experienced Rider’s Course have told me, “I learned more than I ever thought I would” as they took their leave afterward.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lion Lady .. the right one is one that is avaiolable when I am .. I work part time to supplement my retirement and the hourw are odd .. Mon and Tue 5 – 11 and Fri and Sat 9 – 5. I want to take the course .. dont get me wrong …

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well well…… bike people eh? I have to guess that making a major purchase of that magnitude without telling your partner didn’t go well???? Opps…lesson learned?? I have been riding and building since “67”….long time, a life time. Still riding, still building. I work in a custom/performance shop now that I’m retired….it’s great fun. I am in sales…..I design high performance motors and custom chassis or complete ground up bikes and consult with customers on performance upgrades.. We also do regular maintenance work as well…..so I do get to see all of the new riders….of all ages. They love dropping into the custom shop for scooter trinkets. Check out the shop web site Raw Power Custom Cycles.

I have to agree that taking a riding course is likely the best thing you can do…..this is a dangerous game…..very dangerous, don’t kid yourself. I have lost quite a number of friends to the “asphalt strip” over the years…and many more are left in terrible condition. Aside from the romantic notion of the open highway…..I urge new riders give themselves every opportunity to survive by taking the rider “safety courses”. Remember it’s not you that’s the issue out there…..it’s every other vehicle and driver out there!!!!

Having said that….. I ride what I build and build what I ride, and have since I was a kid. High Bars, Low Cars and Guitars is what it is all about for me!!! At 60 I’m not about to change…….. I ride hard too. It’s a life style choice……not for everybody.

Finally….I have a stable of rides (from 1947 to 2008), all of which I have built or modified significantly, plus a hot-rod that I hand built from the ground up as well……..it’s bone deep with me.

toofat

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)