Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Meds — absolutely no effect?

Meds — absolutely no effect?2010-05-04T11:03:57+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Meds — absolutely no effect?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

peaceful warrior

I’ve been reading through posts on meds and the discussions of effectiveness in general and the instant gratification in particular.

I’ve been on Dexadrine and now Adderal and had no reaction. If my doctor told me they had been placebos I wouldn’t be surprised.

Has anyone experienced this?

Is it just a case of not getting the right meds yet?

When I was diagnosed I was told that I had one of the all time heavy duty cases of ADHD — I’m wondering if maybe I need more dosage?

Any thoughts would be great.

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

what dose did they start you on for each? it sometimes takes a while for some people to get the right combo down, before they finally get that “ah-ha” moment, if you will.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Adderal and Dexedrine are essentially the same drug. Adderal just lasts longer and has a milder peak. If Dexedrine did not work, there was no reason to be put on Adderal as well. What you need is either a separate stimulant, such as Ritalin, or a non-stimulant medication Straettera or Wellbutrin. A greater dosage of either Dexedrine or Adderal is unlikely to help if it has made no effect. If there was a mild effect that didn’t make enough of an impact I would suggest a higher dosage. But if there is no effect whatsoever, ask about the other medications.

REPORT ABUSE

peaceful warrior

Okay, thanks guys. I’ll talk to the doc about changing over to something else like Ritalin.

Not too sure about the doses, but with the Adderal we started small and then increased to more and more for a couple of weeks and I’ve been on the full amount for a few weeks now.

I hear what Veronica is saying in terms of getting the right combo, but in general, should there be some initial noticeable effect?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

With something like Adderal or Dexedrine there is usually (though I will not say always) at least something. When I took Dexedrine I started taking half a pill and already it was BAM for me, though not quite what I was looking for it was still there. I could tell you the minute it kicked in. With stimulants this is generally the case, but with meds like Strattera it usually takes a couple weeks of it being in your system for you to notice a difference.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)