Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Meds and Caffeine and/or alcool

Meds and Caffeine and/or alcool2010-12-06T03:58:37+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Psychostimulants – General Meds and Caffeine and/or alcool

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

chacubee

I’m wondering what are the causes of consuming alcool OR caffeine on days I take it? Can I have a few glasses of wine at night? Can I have a coffee in the morning?

Thanks!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since I have been taking concerta my desire for coffee and lessened. Before I would drink about 6 cups of coffee a day starting at 6:00am, Now I drink about a half a cup around 11:00am and maybe half a cup around 3:00 if I feel like it. I really don’t have the craving for it.

I really did not drink alcohol much before, so that issue for me has not come up yet.

Since being on concerta the desire to smoke cigarettes has completely gone away. I probably smoked about 10 a day and then the third day of taking concerta I just had no desire to smoke and my mouth is so dry, it was just nasty…its been a month and I have not smoked at all.

I hope you have the desired effect that you want with the meds. I know that to much caffiene is like a double whammy with the meds..probably not the best thing. I would talk to your doctor and listen to how your body responds to it, the meds I mean..You just might not crave the coffee as much! Good Luck to you!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you drink beer/wine…etc. You can drink forever. But it will cause to you to “comedown” hard and you get mad, anger at everyone..

I would try and avoid it..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found for myself that I was self medicating with smoking and caffine and found really no difference with Alcohol BUT each person is different so reactions most likely will be too. Talk with your Doctor and Pharmacists as they have quite a large database of knowledge!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

That must explain the multiple bottles of pop (some call it “soda”) and multiple cups of coffee in the morning, although I’ve switched to mostly unleaded coffee. I start with 1 cup of real coffee, then go to the green stuff for the remaining 5 or 6 cups.

Pop – I could have an open can or bottle with me every hour.

Smoke bothers my allergies, and eyes, and I’ve honestly never had a desire. Weird, eh?

REPORT ABUSE

chacubee

Well, I know this post was a month ago, but I need to share this with you guys.

After taking Ritalin for 2 weeks, I had to re-visit my family doctor to see if I should be taking this drug or not. I told him I am seeing no negative side-effects. In fact, I thought it was changing my life. I could finally cook supper without forgetting a pot on the stove, or forgetting I’m making supper and wander off in another room and clean, or get on the phone, etc. You get the point :)

However, I did notice that on the couple occasions where I had a coffee in the middle of the day I felt too energetic to function and my heart was racing very fast. However, Isn’t that what coffee is supposed to do anyway, especially if you only have 5-6 cups a week?

Well, I share this with my doctor, and because of that comment he told me that Ritalin is absolutely not right for me and its working as a stimulant for me (like speed or cocaine would, as he described it) “This doctor will never prescribe you this drug again” Is what he told me exactly.

Well, didn’t I ever feel like I was being treated like a drug addict that only wanted to be prescribed drugs so I can get a high!

I didn’t argue with him, but I do feel like Ritalin did have a positive impact on my life. Do you guys think he is right, or should I go see someone else for a second opinion?

I’m going to see my psychologist tomorrow and will see what she thinks.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think if it only happens when you drink coffee while taking the meds, don’t drink the coffee anymore. Make sure you tell your DR. that the bad effects happened only after you drank the coffee.

Concerta is still working great for me after 2 months. The only annoying side effect is the dry mouth. Good Luck!

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

KevinSA-

Your comments about “coming down hard” — which medication are they related to? Are you taking about Conerta? or another specific medication?

REPORT ABUSE

footloose

Concerta + ritalin are stimulants. So is caffeine. About a year ago found a source that indicated that 100mg of caffeine has a comparable stimulant effect to about 5mg of Ritalin. A Starbucks or Tim Hortons coffee will easily have 200 to 300 mg of caffeine. So coffee in addition to Ritalin or Concerta type agents is really going to add up and rev you up! Some nutrition labels are now beginning to indicate the amount of caffeine in a product (noticed that on a can of Pepsi) otherwise Google caffeine content amounts. Can be surprising what products contain caffeine and how much. Maybe if you are new to stimulant medications you might consider cutting caffeine althougher while you adjust to the meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chacubee,

I noticed while being on 10mgs of Adderal XR a cup of coffee or two seem to help however when the dosesge was raised to 20mg it had catastropic results; I couldn’t focus very easily, that is to say, my thoughts started racing; on the first day I went on a buying spree of things I’ve been meaning to buy for a while. On the second day, I still felt very impulsive if not manic (I also have bi-polar disorder) and had a hard time focusing Today is the third day I’ve been on this new dose I stayed away from coffee and was able to function with impulivity in check and I’m able to function easier… Good thingI I go back to school on Monday!

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Footloose, starbucks coffee has less caffeine than other coffees. the darker the roast, the less caffeine there is remaining in the coffee. and since starbucks overroasts their coffee…..

REPORT ABUSE

chacubee

Thank you all for your help and input. It looks like I was right and my doctor was wrong to take me off my medication. My psychiatrist agrees with me also. She said I definitely should go see another doctor for a second opinion. I’m seeing my family doctor next week and Ill ask to be put on it again, or I’m simply gonna stop seeing him. And I will try to keep away from caffeine as much as possible. The two def. do not mix.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found that tea does not offer the same effect as coffee and decafe coffee seems to be okay too. The question I’ve got is why is your primary care physician treating your ADD not your psychatrist?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know that I have been given Concerta and due to the ‘half-life’ of the drug it is taxing on the liver. So, I have been advised by my psychiatrist to avoid any alcohol. So the depressing part of this, is that we were in NYC a couple of months ago and I bought a couple of 750 ml of Patron Silver for a really great deal but it has been sitting on my liquor cabinet for a few months without being touched… Boo Hoo… it sucks. So I drink a beer here and here because I don’t want to see my liver enzymes get too out of whack.

Distracted66

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)