Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Meds quit working after a while?

Meds quit working after a while?2010-12-11T05:28:26+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Meds quit working after a while?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi- ‘m a 40 year old woman who was diagnosed 30 years ago, and have been on and off forms of Ritalin since. When they’re working well, they’re a godsend. I really could not hold down a job and take care of myself without them. Currently I am on 36mg Concerta daily.

I have often thought that, over time, my meds lose their effectiveness. Has anyone else noticed this? It’s like every few years I need to take 6 months off or something.

I feel that way now, like my meds would work better if I took a break, but I’m nervous that I’m misjudging it and if I’m not on them I’ll have an even harder time making enough money to get by and that’s a problem. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to try for a week – I’m certainly struggling now even on the meds.

Anyone else feel like the effectiveness of their meds wears off after a while?

Thanks,

Kim

(SCT subtype)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Kim,

I just came to this site and posted my first time here, then saw your post. I too had been on Concerta, and after first being on a similar dosage, had increased my does up to 60mg due to the effects decreasing. When even that dosage lost its effect, I decided to stop taking it for a while. I did not notice one week or two helping much, so I eventually went to a month without taking it. Then when going back on it, the positive effects were back. but only for 3 to 4 wks. Not sure if all this is a good process though, and I’ve been off meds for over a year now… As much for finaicial reasons as just plain frustration with the meds loosing effect and all. For this reason, I’m wondering if Concerta is more typlical of loosing its strength over time, and maybe there’s other meds where this is less prevalent. Hopefully the experts here will respond to your question (and mine) soon.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for chiming in, Norseman. I can’t imagine going off meds for an entire year ever again. Last time I was off meds I forgot to go to work 3 times in one week (unusual schedule.) I hope you have some good support.

You can’t argue with finances, though, eh? Concerta is insanely expensive.

REPORT ABUSE

all4tigger
    Participant

Hi Kim,

I have been on concerta and yes the affects seem to wear off. I had to go on another medication. I was changed to wellbutrin and cirpralex. Was on that 2 years and effects wore off again. Now I’m on dexedrine. I haven’t found one that has any long lasting help yet..

Hope you find one that works

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

Yes, I am in that boat right now. I took Focalin XR for a few years, but it is no longer effective for me. Even doubling the dose didn’t help. Taking over a month off didn’t help either.

Right now I am in the middle of trying to find another medication (which isn’t working) and I’m a little disheartened about it because I really hope that I can get back to where I was a few years ago after starting medication. My fear is that nothing will work at this point.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was on Concerta 27mg for a month and it already started wearing off. I’m reading similar things about concerta, so I’m also wondering if I should seek out a different medicine…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)