Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Memory game

Memory game2012-11-10T09:28:28+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I watched a program last night; where the presenter had to remember 12 objects in order. Needless to say he failed.

After he was asked to break the 12 into 6 pairs.

Then imagine he had just woke in his house ( bedroom ) 2 objects ( pairs ) where there ( in this case a flat ball and a dead parrot ). Easy to make a link: then he was asked to go into another room, again 2 objects ( paired ).

The trick of imagination and pairing played quite well on my creative imagination/comedy and I ( by the end of an hour ) was able to remember 20 objects in perfect order every time!

WOW!!!! Just thought I would share as this is the first time ever I have managed to remember a list let alone in any type of order!

WOFH

Pete aka <<< That plonker over there :p

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, neat. My memory has always been weird. Things I need I’ll instantly forget (like peoples names, where I put my keys, phone numbers etc.), but that article I read once 6 months ago I’ll remember.

I’ll have to try that.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Hey, Peter. I saw it too.

I use this technique when I’m teaching.

It works well to have a few places in each room of your house to ‘hang’ things on. So, for example, the objects can be placed on/in the fireplace, sofa, window, rug, picture frame, door etc. I ‘hang’ stuff in play parks and other places I visit a lot too.

Trouble is – I learned the first 55 elements in the periodic table this way and it took up so much head space that I actually, genuinely forgot to take my kids to school the next day…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

WOW, I saw this post and completely forgot I already read and commented on it.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Mentalists do the very same thing, but they have more of a moving scene where images and actions weave the objects into them. I used this technique, when I need to memorize the speaking order of presenters. People are always commenting to me, that I can do it without notes.

My mental “House” has many rooms full of books and objects and things happening in it that all relate to things I need to recall for later use. It is not an empty museum of objects, but a museum with things happening in it all the time, with interactive displays, and people moving through it.

I think the best explanation of this was a show I was watching called “The Mentalist”. Usually he is some dork walking around with this smile on his face, while he mocks people, but every once in a while he says something interesting. He was addressing a class and told them that people’s minds were like a closet that was piled high with stuff. It’s all there, but you cant access it, because it is disorganized (ADDrs can relate to that!). To organize it, takes practice. He goes on with the show, but I was looking up mentalist techniques of memorizing information. VERY cool stuff.

The best mentalists can create very complex scenes in their minds attaching sights, sounds, and anything else to trigger the memory.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)