Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Methylphenidate > Riatlin (Dutch: Methylfenidaathydrochloride PCH v.s. Ritalin)

Methylphenidate > Riatlin (Dutch: Methylfenidaathydrochloride PCH v.s. Ritalin)2010-09-06T06:58:06+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin Methylphenidate > Riatlin (Dutch: Methylfenidaathydrochloride PCH v.s. Ritalin)

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since 5 month i’m on Methylfenidaathydrochloride PCH.

And i’m so sick feeling like I will vomit, almost all day, or in waves.

Now I got new meds, Ritalin Novartis.

I have 5 days of Methylfenidaathydrochloride PCH left to go.

Whats the best way to switch?

And dos any one know if it wille make a difference??

Greetz,

Infatuation

OMG!! I ahev to run!!! Grrr…Late for work…Again!? Grrr….

Uh..Well i’m sick at home for 2 days already…

So what’s the difference 2days or 3days?

No hurry today, not late for work today > tomorrow I’ll be good…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I’m not familiar with the medicines in the Netherlands, but it sounds like you’re asking about switching from a generic brand of Methyphenidate to the proper brand of it (Ritalin).

Methylphenidate goes through the body quite quickly. The short-acting regular form only lasts a few hours. Longer-acting forms can last up to 10 or 12 hours. After that, they’re gone. But you do not need to worry about this now, because you are only changing brands. You will still be taking the same drug, just with a different name.

Please talk your doctor about the sick feeling you have when taking Methylphenidate. This is a less-common side effect of the drug, but it does happen in some people. Changing dosage or brand may help. If it does not help, you will have to change to a medicine that does not contain Methylphenidate at all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.novartis.nl/pdf/ib/Ritalin.pdf

From all I have read, Larynxa is correct that you are on the generic version of Ritalin. It should be switchable the next day in equivalent doses.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heya!

Yes, thats correct ‘Methylfenidaathydrochloride PCH’is a dutch generic version of Ritalin. The fillers are just a tiny bit diffrent. And the coast of the drug is lower, so thats why i got it.

Today I started ritalin, and now afther 2 dosis i really feel better. Hope it stays this way!

Bisides that the nosea is much less, (i whas noseaus in the morning even with out meds) it even looks like i’m more relaxter than with the Methylfenidaathydrochloride PCH.

So I’ll just keep on trying this for 4 weeks!

Thanks for the respond!

Greetz,

Infatuation

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The filler in generics can actually cause side effects. I had one patient who recognized they were lactose intolerant because the filler was mainly lactose.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

Hey verliefdheid, ;)

For the Dutch (and maybe other European residents) who are lactose intolerant, Rubio, which contains no lactose, could be an alternative.

Rubio is also a generic version of Ritalin. (Spanish manufacturer)

The only downside, I’m experiencing is that my pharmacy only offers the 5mg pills.

I have read that Rubio also comes in 10mg, so I’m gonna shop around to see which pharmacy can provide me with those. The amount of pills I take home every month is ridiculous..

* People might start thinking I have some kind of disorder…. o.O * ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good to shop around. You seem like a very sensible person.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

Oh my goodness, you’re making me blush! :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

As part of your role as a responsible consumer, you are simply trying to educate yourself and that is important. Not that you don’t trust your doctor or your pharmacist but you have to ask the right questions and you have to be able to have choice.

Knowledge is power.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

And I always keep in mind, that even though doctors and pharmacists are the professionals, the responsibility for (or even more true: the consequences of) what medication I take, is mine and mine alone!

I noticed that both my doctor and my pharmacist have their own specific perception on and knowledge of the medication involved and that is what I lean on to make the best possible decisions.

I found this (old) article concerning the collaboration between the two:

http://www.pharmj.com/pdf/hp/200805/hp_200805_collaboration.pdf

A part which I found particularly interesting was:

“Complementary roles:

The roles of the doctor and pharmacist are complementary and it has been established that the expertise of pharmacists when

channelled through a co-operative relationship with doctors has a positive impact on patient outcomes. The benefits of such collaboration within the hospital environment include the taking of complete and accurate drug histories, the provision of drug information by medicines information pharmacists, the use of evidence-based prescribing, improved detection of prescribing errors and improved drug safety through careful drug level monitoring. Furthermore, close collaboration has been shown to improve the

cost-effectiveness of prescribing. Closer interprofessional collaboration may lead to greater knowledge, skills and satisfaction for staff and a better service for patients.When teams are running efficiently patients will benefit from simple outcomes such as getting the correct medicines at the correct dosing intervals and getting their discharge medicines in a timely fashion.

Poor doctor-pharmacist collaboration and communication may have a negative impact on the healthcare provided and the outcome

for a patient, for example, failure to detect or communicate a prescribing issue.”

I found an even better explanation on a Dutch site, but I’ll translate that before posting that.

(Oh. btw.. ‘Infatuation’ switched from PCH to Ritalin and is feeling better already!)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This information should be archived, Aerin (she is the community manager). Very good research. Thanks.

Dr. J

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

hmm.. I didn’t translate that Dutch article yet….

I noticed that the “watchdog” role that the pharmacist plays, is also mentioned on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacist

Most important thing I get from this is: In the end, I’m responsible for what I do, concerning my health. And given the correct information from both the perspective of psychiatrists and pharmacists, I’ll be able to weigh the pro’s and con’s to decide what’s good for me.

I’ll never be an expert medically or pharmaceutically*, I’ll have to lean on the professionals for that. I’ll bring the experiences into the mix. That’ll be my specialty ;)

* unless I study to become a psychiatrist or pharmacist, obviously

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think all physicians are on notice that our patient’s are smarter and better informed. I think it is ok for a physician to accept information and knowledge from their patients. It is also very OK for a physician to tell you they don’t know the answer to a problem. Really, sometimes the best strategies that I have found is when the patient and I are partners trying to figure this out. Sometimes the best that I can be is simply an advocate.

There is no magic. Common sense always prevails.

REPORT ABUSE

Cat Alberts

Yes! Only yesterday I figured out why the Rubio-methylfenidate felt so good and the Concerta still leaves me with general fuzziness – it’s the lactose… Well, that is my hypothesis at the moment. I know I have some problems digesting lactose, but I thought such a small quantity couldn’t make a difference, when that was the only lactose I ate (well, maybe some milk-chocolate…). Until my pharmacy, unbeknownst to me and them, gave me this lactose free version. I had never felt clear and fysically calm at the same time in this last year since being diagnosed, so it was a surprise. I could even drink coffee without having high heart rate all day. For Dutch people, the pharmacy can order this with the following RVG numbers: 5mg RVG 29553 and 10mg RVG 29554. RVG is Dutch register for packaged medications. It’s generic so covered by our basis health care plan.

Love the site and all the information, and the jokes!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)