Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

military and ADD

military and ADD2011-09-12T17:24:03+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community military and ADD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

im 24 years old recently seperated from the army, i already know that adjusting to being home is hard but i am finding out that being home as well as having problems such as ptsd from the military have made my symtoms worse in there anyone who has the same problems that might be able to help me or give me some advice.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve not had the same problems as I’m a veteran of the peace time Army. If you have a VA hospital near you, I’d contact them and get yourself an appointment with a counselor or psychiatrist for some help with the ptsd and possibly the ADD too.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i second the above .. get in contact with your nearest va and get in to a ptsd group from there you will find lots of help for that .. as far as adjusting i have been out for 4 years now and im still adjusting .. nothing really can compare to it except maybe a job in law enforcement or fire dept ect

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I have a question to piggyback off the original. I went to a VA hospital, and I know that I have PTSD, but they won’t screen me for ADD.. Then what? This is frustrating. I have been told by many that I need to get checked for it, and when I ask the doctors look at me like I am insulting them.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

I’m not a veteran, but am the daughter of a career Marine, with PTSD and ADHD. He is really the poster child for both, I swear.

Get help now. My father was a bear to be around, and still is. I love him dearly, but almost cut him out of my life, at one point, before I truly understood what was causing him to be such a bear.

For you and your family’s sake, get help. Having been through PTSD myself, I can tell you that there is help for this disorder. There is also help for ADHD. I found a good set of practitioners who have helped me come a long, long way. The PTSD, especially.

But still, get help. It is totally worth it. You can learn to deal with it, just as you can with your ADHD. You will NOT regret it. If the VA doesn’t help you, check your local area for low-cost psychiatric services (usually a non-profit group will have something in your town). If you can’t seem to find these, call your local hospital and ask for a reference. They do exist, even here in the States.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Definitely get help. Great advice.

My father commanded a troop of 4 Sherman tanks in the Canadian Army during World War 2, and he had nightmares for the rest of his life. Back then, because it was a good fight and a just cause and it had lasted so long, there was a sense that the veterans would be okay. But so many were not.

It finally dawned on me that killing the enemy for a good cause is still taking a human life. And having not only your own life, but the life of your men on your hands, creates incredible pressure.

I thought about this last night during our Webinar with Memory Champion Dave Farrow, when he talked about how physical fights, as in boxing, have to be broken up into 3 minute rounds. No one can fight for a full 15 minutes. And yet, in combat…

It’s interesting that the sports world is abuzz with concern about concussion. But an IED does exactly that. It does physical damage.

I get that community can help. My dad was quite active in his regiments post-war get togethers. And then gradually he drifted away because it just brought up the past, and the past was gone.

Wishing you luck with this. Please keep us posted about your progress, frustrations, and successes.

Rick

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

By the way, Patrick McKenna’s son joined the Army a few years back and excelled, becoming one of the top snipers in the Canadian Forces.

The structure that the military provides is so powerful. We’ve interviewed some Olympic Athletes who have told us that training did the same thing for them.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Pretty sure the reason my dad did so well in the Marine Corps was because of the structure. Also, a high level of adrenaline rushing activity, and a willingness on his part to jump into a situation (impulsivity).

Really, it’s a perfect fit. Unfortunately, I thought I read on one of these forums that the US Army is screening out ADHD people. That’s a mistake on their part, if that is truly the case.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)