Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

mixing meds

mixing meds2010-05-09T18:13:59+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin mixing meds

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Donna Jean

I take Ritalin three times a day (20mg). I used to take Norflex for back pain. I now have a new job, one that’s suited to my “bubbly” personality however, the back pain is back. lol. I go to the gym three times a week and I am in good shape but I wonder if Norflex is O.K.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This would be a good question for your pharmacist. Whenever I go on a new medication, I always ask about interactions just to be on the safe side. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely ask the pharmacist and your doctor (covering bases for my liability)

You can also check on drugs.com there is an “interactions checker”.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have done a review of drug interactions regarding methylphenidate (the active ingredient of Ritalin) and Norflex (orphenadrine) and there are no problems.

In my review of orphenadrine, surprising as it is, it has a 11% risk of causing back pain (kind of interesting that it is used for back pain).

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Dr. J.

Just wondering what your opinion is of Ritalin vs its generic version? In your experience is there a difference in efficacy between the two?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nellie, I’m not a doctor, and I’m not a pharmacist, but for a while, I was in a sizable group for parents of kids with ADD, and this was the topic of one of the meetings. Several parents swore their kids did well on Ritalin, but not the generic. Others said there seemed to be no difference in their kids whether they took Ritalin or the generic. There were so many parents who were adamant that brand-name Ritalin worked much better for their kids, it was hard not to believe there’s something to it. The only explanation we could come up with, is maybe some of the kids are reacting to the inactive ingredients. The reason it came up is because some insurance companies and in some cases the county would not pay for brand-name Ritalin, and insisted there was no difference.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Thanks Writerly, that’s interesting and corresponds to what I’ve read on other sites etc. However, the doctor I asked said he didn’t see any difference with his patients and left it up to the pharmacist to decide. I think the next time I have to get a refill I’ll ask for the brand name to see for myself :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. J

I have taken both, but for the last 8 years have been on the generic with no problems. I might also mention that I suffer from Narcolepsy and can not drive a car without taking generic. 20mg lasts me at least 3 hrs driving time. The generic pricing is hard to beat!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)