Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Mixing Prozac with ADHD meds: Watch it!

Mixing Prozac with ADHD meds: Watch it!2013-10-31T10:09:34+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Medication Mixing Prozac with ADHD meds: Watch it!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

melsteam14

For years (way back in the 90’s when I was a newly diagnosed) I was given needed depression meds with ADHD meds- yet they were the wrong depression drugs with dangerous side-effects b/c of  2D6 liver enzyme systems being blocked along the drug metabolization pathway. I went through a lot of unnecessary side-effects (rages, crying spells, and further depression), which made me stronger in the end. It was a trial experience of failure. I felt doctor’s didn’t have a handle as well as they would later, on the combination prescribing of ADHD meds and anti-depressants. Mixing Prozac and other SSRI’s with the exception of Lexapro and Zoloft, is a formula for bad results! Due to the 2D6 liver enzyme being blocked by the SSRI (not Lexapro or Zoloft),  this leads in days to months, to ineffectively high levels of ADHD medication filling your system. I learned this from a book,  New Medication Rules for ADHD (2012) by Charles Parker, a physician with ADHD experience and a specialty clinic in Virginia. He worked with Amen Clinics and did a lot of research on this one. 2D6 drug interaction should be taken seriously. What happened to me? I felt stoned or out of it, and had side-effects leading to sleepless nights, unexplainable (until recent times) anger/rages, and confusion- and, more depression. Now, I am more balanced, I know what to look for in dosing for ADHD, and what to expect with regard to duration of effectiveness for the meds I take. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

countrygirl47

Hi!

I’m 47 yrs. old and I was diagnosed with A.D.H.D. just a few months ago.  I’m on a medication for A.D.H.D. and now my doctor wants to put me on Prozac.  I really don’t like being on meds because I have been on meds for 30 some yrs. for Manic depression and now I don’t even have Manic depression.  I have A.D.H.D. do you have any advise for me?

Thank you!

countrygirl47

REPORT ABUSE

melsteam14

I am not a physician so I can’t give you medical advice.  But, my experience and strength is in reply to your question. I am in a healthy balance when I give my brain just exactly what it needs- no more, no less. I just know that Dopamine is a two-edged sword for some people, and needs some reigning in medically. I use an anti-typical treatment. 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

darktendril

I have seasonal affective disorder as well as ADHD, and took Paxil (a SSRI) for the depression last winter.  It helped amazingly then, but I was not on any other meds at the time.  This year I am taking Vyvanse, and tried Paxil again briefly, but it just made me feel sick. I learned too then about the liver enzymes, and potentially causing toxic  accumulation of the medications.  Instead, now I am using just a light therapy lamp, and it is working amazingly well.  I used to think that it wouldn’t work for me, but honestly I never gave it a really good shot, I’d just use it “sometimes”.   Now I have found that as long as I use it daily for 30 minutes to an hour, with the light shining down on my eyes from above (this is important), it works.  If I even miss a day or two of doing it though, I definitely notice the depression coming on…   I realize this won’t work with all kinds of depression, but I’d definitely recommend it for SAD, and it may possibly help with some others.  When the light is shining at just the right angle into my eyes, I can actually feel the serotonin releasing now.

Just a note though, if you have bipolar disorder, make sure you ask your doctor first, as it can trigger manic episodes (though some studies have shown it can even successfully treat bipolar depression safely if used later in the day – using it first thing in the morning is more risky).

There is also a study being done right now at the hospital where I work, where light therapy is being used successfully to treat fatigue in cancer patients 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@darktendril -Thanks for the tip. I don’t have SAD because I get depressed year round. But I do have fatigue. So I might try the light therapy for that.

@countrygirl47– Try talking to your pharmacist about your medications. They sometimes know more than the doctors, since it’s what they studied, and they should be able to look up the medications right on the spot and tell you if there is a problem.

@melsteam14– Prozac sucks. Utterly useless. Thanks for the info about SSRI’s and ADHD meds. Good to know since I may be starting some new meds soon, TPTB willing.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)