Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Modern Family Got ADHD Right!

Modern Family Got ADHD Right!2010-03-27T02:44:41+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Other Modern Family Got ADHD Right!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

wolfshades

Don’t know how many of you watch this show, but one of the story threads nailed ADHD perfectly, I thought.

I’m frankly amazed by the writing on this particular episode (well I like all of them really but this one really hit home, because of ADHD). Once again, I blogged about it, and added some thoughts about why we do some of the things we do – like talk very fast, and put ourselves in physical danger sometimes – and you’re invited to read it. I have no doubt you’ll see your own symptoms.

http://wolfshades.com/2010/03/26/tv-gem/

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

If you’re in Toronto in the next couple of weeks, go and see “Art” at the St. Lawrence Centre. I swear, the character Yvan is an ADHD poster child. He says he “bummed around for 40 years”, but looks and acts like he’s in his 20s. He frantically searches for a lost pen-cap—which his friend finds immediately after Yvan leaves the room in search of something else. He’s always been the one who tries to smooth things over and make people feel better, usually by making them laugh. Because of this need to make everyone else feel better, he has no opinions of his own (which is why his friends call him an amoeba), and he allows others to essentially steamroll over him. His work history is one of little retail jobs, while his friends are a dermatologist and an engineer (the kind that builds things, not the kind that drives a train). At one point, he’s so overwhelmed by all the frustrations of planning his upcoming wedding, that he sets off on a show-stopping and hilarious three-and-a-half-minute stream-of-consciousness rant with nary a pause for breath.

That sure sounds like a character with ADHD, doesn’t it? But don’t see the play because of that; see it because it’s so well written and acted, and because it’s truly funny.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Hey thanks for the heads-up Larynxa! I’ll keep my eyes open for that show.

I know I’m sounding like a broken record here, but I used to be the same way: *needed* to make people feel good about themselves at the expense of my own opinion and character. Finally broke free of it.

Can’t wait to see this show!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That episode of Modern Family gave me the nerve to tell my wife about my recent discoveries.

I think she still sees ADHD and ADD as a behavioral problem in kids with bad parents, or maybe it’s just a sugar buzz. I don’t know if I’ll ever get her to put in the time to read about it like I have. Doesn’t matter anyway–my quirks don’t seem to bother her that much. But now that I’ve put that little bug into her brain, she is beginning to notice a pattern.

So then I was reminded of a comedy I saw on Showtime 20 years ago–“The Steven Banks Home Entertainment Center.” I never realized until a few days ago why I thought that show was so freaking hilarious. I was laughing at myself and never considering that there was a reason we behave as we do.

It’s on YouTube in seven segments, I highly recommend it. Steven Banks is now the head writer for SpongeBob. He must be worth a gazillion dollars now.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw that episode of Modern Family. Great show but that episode made me shout a couple of times……….”I do that!” Lol.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

here is the episode if anyone wants to watch it.

http://www.casttv.com/shows/modern-family/starry-night/faeuce1

enjoy!

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

@DogFather: more people think this way about ADD/ADHD than I thought was possible. A couple of my co-workers are convinced it doesn’t exist, and that kids who exhibit it just need more disciplining. (!)

@nutella: *thanks* for that link!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@wolfshades, “Art” closes on April 10th, so you don’t have long to see it.

Mondays are Pay-What-You-Can. Or, if you go on a Tuesday night or Wednesday matinee, there’s a Q&A with the cast in the lobby, after the show. Seeing one of the world’s greatest improvisers (Colin Mochrie, of “Who’s Line Is It Anyway?”) thinking on his feet as he fields questions, is amazing!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another TV show to “add” to our list: The Middle

It’s about a family from Indiana. The youngest boy is named “Brick” and he’s an inattentive little genius with social interaction problems. Basically his nose is always in a book and he’s oblivious to the world around him.

This week’s episode had to do with Brick’s “special class” for kids with social problems, and the revelation that his father is exactly the same way. The only difference between Brick and his father is that the father is extremely tall and was athletically gifted. But they both have the same problem with completely losing interest in a conversation, making inappropriate comments, and even saying “I’m done talking to you now” then walking away! The father was able to get away with that kind of behavior for his entire life, just because he was a jock.

The “special class” taught Brick how to feign interest in speaking with someone and how to respond appropriately with some polite comment, inevitably resulting in NEW FRIENDS!

Brick and his father apply their new knowledge at the family’s backyard pool party with disastrous results. Hilarity ensues.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

My daughter and I watched the modern Family episode and totally cracked up. Thanks for sharing the link! The Dad and son doing the project is so us it’s scary! Think I’ve found a new show. Will have to look for The Middle next.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Just saw this again. Started right at the ADHD scene. This time my husband was in the room. He laughed so hard. Me too (again)!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)