Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

My mom doesn't believe I have ADD predominantly inattentive?

My mom doesn't believe I have ADD predominantly inattentive?2011-03-24T00:31:29+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Finding Help My mom doesn't believe I have ADD predominantly inattentive?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Im 16 my mother and I have talked to multiple professionals and they all agree I have ADD. However my mother won’t let me on any medication she says I don’t have it. I currently homeschool because when i go to regular school my grades are anywhere from 0-40%. Even home schooling I have issues with doing my work or if the tv is on I get distracted. I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment with walls like paper so there is no escaping. My teachers are typical saying that I am just lazy or I don’t try one even said I had problems with male authority (LOL) I remember in kindergarten I was last to learn to tie my shoes, and in grade 4 last to learn long division and now in high school I don’t understand anything. I also have social phobia which is getting worse from not being outside at all so I really need to get back into public school.

What I can I do to treat this on my own without my moms help?

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Hi Oasisfangirl, I’m glad you found this site. Another site you might find helpful is CHADD.org (just found out about it today). I’d also recommend watching the videos here, especially the ones on this page to start:

http://totallyadd.com/sponsored-video-5-medications-alphabetically/

Video 5 pops up first, but scroll down and you’ll see 1-5, start with one.

I’m the mother of a 16 y/o girl and when she told me she thought maybe she had ADD I told her “I don’t think you do,” even though I’d just been diagnosed with it myself! I think there is a tendency to be in denial or to admit that there is a genetic trait inherited from the parents. I intend to get her tested now because I want her to be free to live up to her fullest potential.

After you watch the videos and educate yourself a little bit more, you could invite your mother to watch with you. Maybe that will help you convince her that you need help. Visit and explore this site and the CHADD site and any other material you can get your hands on. There are lots of senior members here that can offer you advice, good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

definately read as much as you can, watch stuff online about it, borrow library books, join support groups, just inform yourself as much as you can. try and read up on healthy eating- there is a lot of info about carbs, omega 3 oils, etc- and exercise, meditation, martial arts, memory games, etc- all sorts of things that can help or hinder when it comes to ADD. it’d probably help your social phobia as well as your ADD to take a class like yoga, and you could probably persuade mum to let you do a martial arts class under the guise of learning self defence (every mum wants their little girl to be safe, and being able to protect yourself physically is a big part of that).

your mum might come around with time, but – and i know you’re not gonna like this but i think it’s worth saying- worst case scenario, if she just will not get on board- well, in 24 months or less you’ll be a legal adult, and you can make your own decisions regardless of what she feels or beleives. i know that feels like forever away, but trust me, it’ll come (and go reaaalllly fast, too). it might not seem ideal, but if you have to wait until then to get back to school or onto medication, you’ll still get there- beleive in yourself and remember how you DID learn to do those things you found hard as a kid, even if it took you a little while. :)

if pushing and pushing makes her more and more defensive (cos that can happen), maybe just stop mentioning ADD, and do things that’ll help ADD, for other reasons… like with the yoga class- sure it’d help with ADD, but you could just omit to mention that while you’re telling your mum how it’s good for bone strength, focus, relaxation (aids in school work, exam prep, etc) posture, cardiovascular health, etc. i’m not advocating lying, but sometimes you have to be a bit selective with how much truth you choose to share. ;-)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)