Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

new person here

new person here2015-02-08T22:03:26+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other new person here

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

RollinggCloudd

Ive known I had ADD for a while but it wasn’t until a month ago (just about) when I actually went to get my diagnosis and be put on meds. I don’t regret it but ever since I started taking my meds and stoppedenjoying certain things, my life just got really “boring” and “depressing” lol. With that being said, any good conversations about anything (idc if someone talks to me about barney at this point) would be nice as well as tips and do’s and dont’s for now and future stuff. Seriously any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m currently on vyvanse and have been for about a month but really haven’t felt any different. Like not even side effects. Occasionally I’ll have spurts of intense concentration whenever I pick up a book or start journaling or just writing for fun to pass some time but other than that, nada.

REPORT ABUSE

ramblinon

Greetings @rollinggcloudd

I am in the exact same position regarding timing and the meds. I am doing 30 mg x 4 weeks then up to 40 for 4.

This is a great forum to either sit back in the corner or do what you’ve just done…step up and say hello. Great people in here, lots of posts going back a bit and current discussions that you’ll enjoy. I’ve been here for only 3 weeks or so and have learned a tremendous amount about others but more about myself. You’ll see yourself in others…..it’s too funny simetimesnbecause you realize you are NOT alone or crazy……well?! Haha
    I check out the Medications forum / Vyvanse- and see how people react to their meds, and read their questions and the reply they get. Pretty  cool!
    I don’t feel a great difference but loss of appetite you?
    Ramblin On

REPORT ABUSE

RollinggCloudd

I havent had any loss in appetite thank god

REPORT ABUSE

gianmaria

Hi rollinggcloudd!

Welcome to the Forum.

As far as I know, it takes time to adjust to medications, so nothing peculiar there.

It can be indeed disorienting to respond differently to what basically are the same surroundings and stimuli.

Concentra took away a great deal of my appetite, which was quite strange for me (never been a compulsive eater, but I’ve always enjoyed food)

A thought: one of the reasons we take meds is to help us cope with the issues ADD brigs about in our lives, with our loved ones or our jobs.

ADD is not the ISSUE PER SE, but only when it interferes with some activities, so we end up losing our jobs, our friends or our money.

If I were a well-off bachelor rock-star touring the world stages, probably my ADD wouldn’t constitute a problem and I wouldn’t bother even thinking about it (if I were to know I had it) because it would suit my lifestyle.

Not knowing what your problems were BEFORE, how you came to suspect having ADD, or why you were diagnosed, it’s hard to give any advice.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and for speaking up. There is no such thing as a stupid question around here.

REPORT ABUSE

RollinggCloudd

Yeah ive been on meds for almost a month now and my appetite doesnt get affected lol. It’s one of the reasons im okay with taking the meds but had my appetite changed drastically, i’d look into a different prescription.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Hi @rollinggcloudd, welcome. 🙂

You’ve come to the right place. Whether you need serious advice, a shoulder to cry on, or just want to be silly and have some fun, you’ll find it all here. (but please, no conversations about Barney. you can’t be that desperate!)

It’s impossible to give you any specific advice about medicatoion because everyone reacts differently. But one month may not be long enough to know if the  Vyvanse is going to work for you. It can sometimes take several weeks to start to really feel the effects of a medication. You also need to find your optimum dosage,   which will take a little fiddling.

It actually sounds like it’s working the way it should. Not having any side effects is a good thing. You won’t really “feel” it working, but it will give you the ability to focus and concentrate better. It’s up to you to use that focus wisely.

I also take Vyvanse, for a little more than a year now. For me it doesn’t seem to be working very well, but that may be my fault. I am lousy at self regulating and self disciplining. I will sit on the couch playing Candy Crush all day while the dishes pile up in the sink, the snow piles up outside,  and I’m still paying $45/month for a cell phone that I lost 3 months ago because I keep forgetting to call Rogers (need to make a note about that one. again).

A couple of  tips that might help: Take the Vyvanse early in the morning, no later than  7:00 am, and at the same time every day. Try to get a full night’s sleep and eat a breakfast that includes some protein. Try to eat regularly throughout the day and drink plenty of water and avoid too much caffeine and sugar. In other words, do all the things that ADDers are notorious for not doing. 😉

REPORT ABUSE

RollinggCloudd

Yeah I did some research on the meds today and they’ve Ben working but I just didn’t notice it until today after my research. I definitely concentrate and see tasks through now. Especially in any writing or reading I do. The only downside is that I’ve noticed a slight change in my patience with some people I used tk be very patient with but thats because I do t monitor my sleep cycle like I should. Im a night owl lol. And I dont eat breakfast like I should because I wake up around 2pm before I go to work at 4 lol. Changing all that up is the next step though. And no conversation s about Barney dude. Iron Man and Batman are like soooooo much better lol. Mainly Iron Man though (:

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

LOL 😀 You may find your tolerance and patience level changing a little. When I first started on meds, my in-laws suddenly went from mildly irritating to so annoying I can’t stand to be around them or even talk to them on the phone without wanting to choke them. 🙄

I believe in my case it’s because the medication brought me up to a level where I am more aware and my brain is functioning closer to the way it should. So I have a lower tolerance now for some of the boring, mundane, stupid stuff I used to be able to put up with. I mean seriously, why do people talk about the weather so much? So it’s snowing, so what? It’s winter. It snows in winter. We all know this. We can all see this. Why do we need to talk about it?

Anyway… Since I haven’t even had a shower yet, and it’s noon, I better shut up now and go do some of the stuff on my “before lunch” list. Or maybe I should start with the “before breakfast” list. Or I could just scrap the whole plan and make some new lists…

REPORT ABUSE

ramblinon

@Blackdog Too funny! Thankfully my wife only brought with her a mother! No father, brother or sister in laws to be irritating! (grin)

I’m not looking forward to being more irritable that is for sure.

Ya….start a new list! (haha)

Ramblin On

REPORT ABUSE

RollinggCloudd

Settle for a “whenever I wake up I new to do these things immediately” list lol. I took my med earlier and passed out. Funny part was (and I dont recommend this for anyone) I got out of bed to shut my alarm off and when I shut it off I simultaneously tripped on….ill say it was my own feet just for my own sake. But fell flat on the floor and just laid there and fell asleep for about 20 more minutes. Then I took my med and wemt back to sleep.now im up deciding between mac n cheese or chinese for lunch before I go to work lol. Such a productive day its been.

REPORT ABUSE

ramblinon

Funny…I just did the mac N cheese for lunch. Passing is not a good thing.

Wear a helmet to bed!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@rollinggcloudd

Do you mean literally passed out, or just went back to sleep?

If you actually blacked out, that’s definitely not good. If it happens again after taking your med, call your doctor. One thing you have to watch with Vyvanse is your blood pressure. For most people, it will go up, but it can also drop, which could cause you to pass out. (just a suggestion)

As for tripping over your feet, that’s just a normal start to the day. I once tripped over a cord and fell while getting ready for work 3 times in the same week. We used to have a central vacuum system and I tripped over the hose while vacuuming pretty much every time I used it. I use an upright now and just have to remember to hang onto the cord. If I let it drop, I’ll trip over it 5 seconds later. I have tripped over just about everything you can trip over, and a few things you wouldn’t even think of. Including my own feet, of course.

I think I can remember a few times I rolled out of bed when I was a kid and just went back to sleep on the floor.  I have also fallen asleep in the shower. And in my dinner. Did a face plant right in the mashed potatoes. That one was due to lack of sleep though. It was when I was in college and staying up all night trying desperately to keep up with my assignments.

REPORT ABUSE

makwa

Welcome! It’s always nice to see new faces! My best advice:
    Keep checking back here. Daily check ins (even if you post nothing 95% of the time, like me) help a LOT.
    Good luck out there!

REPORT ABUSE

RollinggCloudd

OH HEAVENS NO! Passing out is a slang for me lololol. Sorry. I meant I fell back asleep. I remember this day very well actually. My memory is always good and vivid but wow.

And I’ve fallen asleep in the shower plenty of times. Hot water early in the morning is definitely a life luxury to me lol.

And thanks Makwa. I’m definitely make some better commitments to try getting on totallyADD at least once or twice a day and either contribute to someone’s post or share my own. Best of luck to you as well. Peace and love. Live long and prosper.

REPORT ABUSE

deebee
    Participant

Blackdog, I might have to pit your cell phone story with mine, putting it through the wash. Not because it was in a pocket I forgot to empty, mind you, but because I knocked it into the washing machine and never noticed until the dryer started clunking.

But I may have trumped my own story. I had a device on my car’s windshield, a transponder that emitted a signal whenever I drove through a traffic monitoring area. It allowed me to drive the 75 mph (120 kph) speed limit without slowing to pay highway tolls. Then I decided to donate that old vehicle to my local public radio station in exchange for a small tax deduction. I remembered that I’d forgotten to remove that transponder, which still belongs to the highway authority, until few days after the car was towed away, too late to retrieve it.

3:30 pm, time to change out of my pajamas.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)