Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

new to concerta

new to concerta2012-05-12T17:56:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta new to concerta

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

My thread with my first day’s experience isn’t loading so I thought I’d start a new one.

My first day was quite something – it felt like I’d been trapped in a thunder storm my whole life and someone put the windscreen wipers on.

A couple of days on and I think it’s reasonable to say that it is working but very subtly. It has worked most effectively 2 hours after taking it and for the following 2 hours. By 6 hours I can’t really feel the effects any more, in that I’m tired and losing focus. A couple of hours after that and my head is as busy as it’s always been.

However, the effects are such that I am calmer and happier and sleeping better. I am waking up more easily in the mornings and able to get on with sorting out stuff I never get round to.

So it’s working and I’m thrilled with that and if it continues I’ll be very happy. I feel that perhaps I need a higher dose or maybe a short acting version around 1or 2 o’clock to ‘top up’.

Good to be working it out and would love to hear more from other people who take it.

And wow! The capsule and method of release is nothing short of pure genius. I’d love to shake that person by the hand!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you are new to concerta, they start you at quarter dose, double you after a week or so and can give double again depending on how you are doing.

I guess you are on 1/4 dose.

Remember 22% is released straight after ingestion and the rest over 10/12 hours… perhaps its time to step up the dose ;)

Pete x

PS: thats UK<<

WOFH

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

thank you. yes, I’m on the lowest dose, 18mg. I’m in the UK. I’m not seeng my doc again for a couple of weeks so I’ll maybe try to speak to her by phone. I’m being prescribed it by my GP which is unusual and off protocol but she knew I was desperate and I couldn’t get in to see the psych till October so they agreed together that the GP could do it and I guess I may have to wait a bit longer than is expected to up my dose as a result. But it’s working and that’s amazing!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Good to hear from you Pete.

I am still stuck down a rabbit hole trying to get my hat sorted out!

:)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Tiddler – I am glad the meds are working!

:)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Miss Scatty :D

@ Tiddler : Until they do top up your dose, energy drinks are a good short term substitute ( well they were for me )…

If you flag late afternoon as I did, two within an hour gave me the burst needed to make tea, shower, check emails and empty the bins lol ( as long as you can do all that in 45 mins )…

I do wish you all the best and know that you are more than half way there Tiddler.

I enjoy your journal ( its a great idea ) please keep it up for new people on the site to read.

Fab :)

Pete x

WOFH

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thank you so much Pete. good to see you here. I’ll give that a go. I was hoping I’d be able to avoid caffeine and alcohol completely but it makes sense to try a cup of coffee when I’m flagging. and maybe the meds will help me focus enough to get back to the journal.

thanks too scattybird. it’s a good time for me!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I’m now on 27mg and it’s working very well.

Unfortunately, I think I may be getting formication. I keep trying to brush away something from under my eye and above my lip, like there’s an ant crawling on it or a hair tickling it.

I’m optimistic that it will go away but keeping aware as I don’t want it to get to the point where it’s causing me any distress. So far it’s just a mild irritation.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I took a coffee in the afternoon when I was still on the 18mg and it made me feel really stoned so it’s best I avoid that one I think. I’m avoiding alcohol too.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I read that alcohol can exacerbate side effects – can’t speak from experience as I avoid it.

Coffee and Ritalin do not mix (Concerta is the same drug) – at least in my experience. I have my morning coffee when I wake up because I enjoy that one and then I take the meds a couple of hours later. When it’s wearing off I have another coffee or tea (but that’s in the evening – or afternoon if I only take a morning dose – I am on fast release).

I don’t feel the need for caffeine anymore. But a coffee when it wears off is nice.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Tiddler

I to had the same side effect :

Ok so heres the weird part, please “bear” ( growl ) with me…

As it is a matter of the mind that you feel this irritation, i looked into ways to control it.

I cant say i am Buddist or anything but now you are medicated it may be worth a shot…

I use it to empty ( as much as possible ) my mind and sensations. No need for bells/chants/music/cats or hippos… Once you get the knack you can use it to dismiss formication ( well i have managed ).

Thanks for “trying” to follow this post, even i am a little confused with it… What I am saying is you can subtly use the mind to control sensation

no harm in trying

Pete aka ummmmm me!!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks, Pete. Since beginning the pills, I actually feel like I’m in a place now where I really could learn to meditate. Maybe even snuggling up to a hippo or two…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)