Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

No response to stimulants or antidepressants. Now what?

No response to stimulants or antidepressants. Now what?2010-02-28T03:20:45+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community No response to stimulants or antidepressants. Now what?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Because psychology fees aren’t covered by Manitoba Health, I paid a month’s income and got a diagnosis a couple of years ago. (ADHD Inattentive.) After that, I went off to my doctor and we tried all the usual meds. To my surprise, we tried three different stimulants with no response, I didn’t even get a stimulant response, much less any relief of inattentive and organizational symptoms. Then we tried Wellbutrin, no response there either.

As far as I can tell, all that remains for treatment would be either meetings with a psychologist, or hiring a ADHD coach. Needless to say, Manitoba Health doesn’t cover those options either, and my Blue Cross would cover about 90 minutes a year with the psychologist, and not the coach at all. My income is tight as it is, I hate the idea of throwing away $200 a month or more on treatment that might be a waste of time.

Where do I go now? I was thrilled when I got the diagnosis, but now I just feel discouraged.

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

FWIW, same for me. I use Adderall daily, but it’s effect for me is simply to get me started. It removes the procrastination. For organization I have to follow all the advice of self help books and a coach. Break things into small, manageable pieces and tackle them as best you can. Keeping logs, make lists, etc. It sounds boring, but it’s not. I would strongly recommend the coach I used who is listed on this site – see below for free trial coaching session: Pete Quilly. Based in Vancouver, I was able to work with Pete over the ‘phone as I live in a rural area. He had solid advice, set up schedules for me, and I still use his stuff daily. It will cost a few $, but I think since meds seemed to not have had any helping effect, this is worth a try. Good luck, Jim

Try A Free 30 Minute Sample Session of Adult ADHD Coaching

http://www.addcoach4u.com/adhd-coaching/experiencecoaching.html

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the response and the reference, but I had a look at the site, and he wants me to answer a “coachability questionnaire” which, as far as I can tell, screens out people who most strongly need help and are foundering,

For instance, some of the questions; “I can be relied upon to be on time for all calls and appointments.” “I am fully willing to do the work and let the coach do the coaching.” “I am willing to stop or change the self-defeating behaviors, which limit my success.” If I could reliably do those things I wouldn’t need a coach, seems to me.

Then there are a couple of odd questions: “I am someone who can share the credit for my success with the coach.” “I have adequate funds to pay for coaching and will not regret or suffer about the fee.” “I see coaching as a worthwhile investment for my life.”

Well, I am not primarily interested in making the coach look good. If I got results I would certainly spread the word — but why would the coach need to know this upfront? And then, screening for solvency — everybody needs to make a living and so does he, but so do I, and my symptoms are making this awfully difficult and discouraging. If I had adequate funds I would access resources here in Winnipeg. So, stalemate.

I am glad this fellow works for you, but he doesn’t seem a good match for me.

Ducky

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

Yes but HD, it’s free, ask yourself what you’ve got to lose trying it out? Nothing ventured, leaves you right where you are. I’m not connected to Pete but he’s ADD, heads the Vancouver ADD groups that meet 1x a month, is sincere, and isn’t out to grab your loot. He has a ton of good references and lots of links on his site to help, if you want to read lots. I can’t soak in squat reading though.

Good luck, Jim

REPORT ABUSE

purlgurl

This might be a silly question (I really hope it’s not an offensive one), but are you sure you have ADHD? Other disorders (depression, anxiety, OCD), or out-and-out stress, can also cause organizational and inattentive symptoms, and you most likely wouldn’t notice a therapeutic effect from the stimulants if that’s the case.

REPORT ABUSE

purlgurl

(I’m mostly asking this because I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder at 16, operating on the assumption that it was just my wonky brain chemistry causing me to be sad all the time – a large number of doctors, counsellors, therapists, teachers etc. who worked with me never said “Hmm, might be ADD” – I didn’t get the diagnosis ball rolling until *I* figured it out for myself. I wouldn’t think it impossible for my situation to occur “in reverse”, as it were.)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is no one treatment that is IT! In many contexts, it is the holistic treatment agenda where meds may or may not play a role. No med is the solution to ADHD either, even if it works. Often times, treatment failure on meds is not because of the meds but because the other factors are not in place.

In fact, in other disorders, you can receive a therapeutic effect from stimulants. You know, one of the most common treatment for resistant depression twenty years ago were psychostimulants. Whether or not they were really aDHD can be debated but it is recognized as an adjunctive treatment.

Mood Disorders and ADHD overlap a great deal and we often have to treat both disorders concurrently

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)