Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

No s**t, Sherlock!

No s**t, Sherlock!2012-11-22T16:09:59+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Other No s**t, Sherlock!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Swedish researchers have determined that people with untreated ADHD are many times more likely to be involved in criminal behaviour, than those who are being treated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20414822

Well, no s**t, Sherlock! We’ve known that for years!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

But the rest of the ignorant people who don’t understand or “believe” in it don’t.

Your avatar reminds me of my poor neighbors cat who was just at my sons window meowing because hes out in the cold rain! I brought him into my room to warm up a bit buy my Siamese would of flipped out if she saw or heard him. I feel so bad for him! I don’t think my neighbors are home! At one time I had 7 cats because the strays just kept showing up…. my husband wasnt very happy. I would catch them, bring them to the vet to be fixed then let them go again. All of them were feral. I would just leave out food for them… Poor kitties :(

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Cold rain and cats don’t mix. Come to think about it cold rain is pretty rubbish for everything.

I think the angle the article is taking is that medicating folk will reduce the likelihood of those with ADHD from offending, rather than saying that people with ADHD are more likely to offend.

I agree it seems like reinventing the wheel. On the other hand anything that gets the reality of ADHD into the public consciousness is good…..except those ignorant people that Carrie mentioned will read this as ADHD people are criminals.

On the other hand the more information that gets into the public domain which doesn’t question the existence of ADHD must be good.

Anyway, must dash….got a decision to make…should I take my Ritalin or rush off and rob a bank instead? Maybe the latter since ADHD is rarely treated on the NHS in the UK so I have to pay for it all privately so feel like I need to rob a bank. :)

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

I’ll provide you with an alibi if you keep in me in Earl Grey tea for the rest of my days… 8)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Ha ha – it’s a deal as long as the alibi is more watertight than the tea bags. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

I dunno. I’ve seen a lot of articles saying that if this thing or that thing isn’t treated, your child is more likely to be a criminal. One friend told me that she read something about people who had hearing loss and didn’t know it being more likely to go to prison.

My take is that if there is something wrong with you, no matter what it is, if it goes unaddressed, your life will be more miserable than if you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity, resources, and good sense to deal with your problem, no matter what it may be.

In my friends example, however, they studied hearing loss in a prison population vs. a regular city. My question was that maybe the hearing loss was caused by something in the prison (loud work areas, bad acoustics), or maybe something in their lifestyle they were doing before prison (loud music). Studies are just that. Some of them need much further study.

But really, it’s something somebody says about damned near everything. It’s why I stopped reading parenting books. I got tired of reading that my kids were going to prison if I didn’t do things the way each book said to do them. Anyway, that makes me leery of stuff like this.

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

Very few conditions make people irrationally impulsive as ADHD does.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

I don’t have the impulsivity thing. It fascinates me though! Is the ‘impulsivity’ part of the ADHD problem itself or is it the inattentiveness that pushes the impulsivity to be the most prominent symptom for the ADHD flavor? Am I just distracted too quickly to react to anything or am I really not impulsive at all? I really haven’t got a clue… but I’ve been dormant for about 30 years, so I may have not been paying attention.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Carry: I think the impulsivity is an extension of a wandering mind – flitting from one thing to the next like a butterfly.

Geoduck: Yup, I agree, that if undiagnosed, the problem can just snowball. It was pure luck, combined with a tendency to prefer to stay home, that kept me out of serious trouble. Yikes, I once shop-lifted a greeting card entirely by accident, because I forgot I was holding it – and then when I got outside the store, I was so scared, I just kept going.

I think people have trouble accepting that ADHD is “real” because it threatens their concept of free will. Yes, we can all make choices, but if you only have one leg, and you don’t have a prosthetic, your choice to climb three flights of stairs will take longer and be more challenging and potentially dangerous than for someone with two legs. People can’t “see” ADHD, so they don’t believe it’s there. We can have free will within a narrower range of options.

I’m sure there are many people in the prison system who would have had much different lives if the entire criminal justice system in relation to many aspects of the broader societal context were not so Dark Ages. We’re just animals. People don’t want to look at the science. While humanity is capable of greatness, if you look at history, the things people thought about throughout time…we haven’t changed much in thousands upon thousands of years. Human behavior in general takes up a pretty limited spectrum of possibility.

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

“I think people have trouble accepting that ADHD is “real” because it threatens their concept of free will”

Who wants to believe their success in life was mostly down to lucking out with the neurotransmitters.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

@sdwa But I have that too. My attention is like that butterfly, but I am not able or, not triggered to act upon it immediately. That’s what interests me. If we’d be able to strip the attention deficit from an ADHD person, would he/she be left with a ‘normal’ dose of impulsivity, or is the impulsivity also above normal? Probably impossible to answer since we can’t take someones inattentiveness away and leave the impulsivity untouched. My hunch would be, that the level of impulsivity is higher, but I’d be very interested if something like that was ever studied.

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

Maybe the reluctance to accept ADHD as a genuine disorder has to do with the impression that physicians and psychiatrists have been a little ‘trigger-happy’ in subscribing stimulants? And a lot of the ‘labeling’ is done on the playground by parents. And they are not to be trusted…….as far as psychiatric diagnosticism is concerned. :)

We’re bothered by this disorder, whether it’s called ADHD or Hyperactivity disorder or Lazy by nature syndrome or chicken salsa deficit disorder. It’s a disorder when it seriously frustrates your possibility to function properly. Since I’m on Methylphenidate, I’m able to act and react properly. Feels like I’m hyperactive now, sometimes, but that’s only in comparison with the zombie-like-indifferent state I seemed to be in before.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

The thing I find is that even when it’s something I’m interested in, if there’s more than five steps, it’s like Superman approaching Kryptonite. My energy just drains out of me. I can almost hear the sound of air escaping from a balloon, or a slide whistle going down…. down… down… But show me something new, novel, different… And I’ll abandon the thing I actually like more and move on to it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Carry: I don’t know if you’ve read this article, but it’s recent and makes a lot of sense to me in relation to impulsivity: http://newideas.net/adhd/neurology What I took from that article is that there is a part of your brain that tells the rest of your brain “UM no that is not a good idea…. don’t do/say that!!!” In people with ADHD who have the impulsive side, this part of the brain essentially works slower than the other parts, so by the time it occurs to you not to do it … oops TOO LATE.

I’m a woman in my late 20s, and just recently found out I had ADD, but I can recognize it all my life. I definitely have the impulsive side, but don’t really show it anymore. But in elementary school, I can remember getting in trouble a lot and then being questioned and impulsively lying. I immediately regretted it but it was too late – I had to spend the next hour, or day, or week or year or more defending that lie. I got into trouble constantly in high school, but I always just thought I was a free spirit. I never wanted to hurt anyone, I just wanted to do what I wanted to do. Same with college. Always just thought I was a “free spirit” but also got into tons of trouble! I think all the negative consequences I’ve put myself through my whole life has really made me curb my impulsivity though. I am pretty mild now – the only time it still comes out is in an argument. Sometimes I say things and then it’s just like – AHHHH I can’t believe I said that! Working really hard on it though, trust me I don’t enjoy hurting my loved ones.

I’ve always known something felt different about me, about the way my brain worked, that led me to a Bachelor’s degree in Biology. I always just wanted to figure out why I felt so different, and nothing made sense til ADHD. Then all of a sudden it’s like I found a million other people who feel exacccctly how I do.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Greetings and salutations ADHD wife! I’m a man in my late 20’s too, and…oh, I meant early 40’s, and anyway, oh okay, I’m almost 50…sheesh, yeah, the old flame-thrower tongue, eh? *grimaces* Even as the words were darting through the air the eyes would widen as the realisation that there’d be some impending collateral damage to contend with.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)