Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Not able to make out lyrics in a song?

Not able to make out lyrics in a song?2011-01-06T02:12:02+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Not able to make out lyrics in a song?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Larynxa,

That was very insightful and I agree with you fully I love opera but often can’t understand what is said even if it is sung in english; I have the same problem with musicals although that for somereason does not deminish the pleasure I get from watching or listening either.

K

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I guess that’s why it’s easier to understand my cats? They speak pretty plainly and clearly.

If I miss something, I get the “what part of ‘meow’ didn’t you get” look.

Anyway, wow, love factual informative explanations like that! Makes sense, thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gotcha!!! When my parents listened to The Beach Boys, I (7 years old) enthusiastically belted out, “Little Loose Tooth” (Little Deuce Coupe)

Anyone have this problem with TV? Couldn’t stand always missing the joke, so I started setting the tv to closed captioning (along with sound) so I wouldn’t miss anything. I could HEAR them, but half the time I am hearing wrong and missing the meaning. The CC helps but also annoys some people (like my husband) so I can’t win! (I annoy him either way because then I keep asking, “What did he say????”)

REPORT ABUSE

billd

TV is really bad that way anyway. The little built-in speakers are second class at best – they want you to be wowed with picture quality and spend very little on sound fidelity. Basically, TV speakers and TV sound stinks at best.

I found that it’s a lot easier to understand some TV shows by running the TV outputs through my tuner/amp and some decent speakers (small, but potent)

I plan on putting 2 more speakers in the room – behind me. More speakers, more amps, better output, easier to understand.

Ever listen to your favorite song on the radio, then hear it through a high-quality stereo cranking some serious amps? It’s not the VOLUME, or loudness that helps, it’s that with the power of the amplifier, all the sound gets brought out, making it less muddy. The highs aren’t clipped, the lows are reproduced, and it’s a lot better.

I was amazed when I got into car stereo contests how suddenly I could hear instruments I never knew were in a song, and finally understood some of the lyrics – all because I was cranking it out through 10 speakers and 2 amplifiers. So crisp and clear! Even at LOWer volume.

Of course, I could not resist, and have hammered my hearing so now have hearing loss to boot (besides having to keep some tools in the glovebox to put mirrors and other inside trim back in place now and then)

Try getting a good quality amp and speakers to run that TV through – I bet it helps.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@julianna, “Little Loose Tooth” is a parody waiting to happen!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Where is Weird Al when you need him…………

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There you go… where is Weird Al when you need him… I bet he’s one of us!

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I totally agree about Weird Al; and hey, that would be a cool song!!

@billd, we do have an amp and speakers, they do help! I have noticed that clarity with the instruments on good speakers, too.

I think I miss what they say too sometimes in moments of lost concentration…have noticed that ALOT more since I have been researching ADD, that I miss(aka only tune in after) the first (and often the key) part of a conversation that usually indicates the topic; I get tired of hearing of someone’s adventure, etc, and then having to ask, “And who/what were we talking about?” –Usually when you can’t fake it anymore because someone asks your opinion!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

julianna,

Don’t you just hate that? If I had a dollar for the number of times that has happened to me, for sure I would be a rich man; a very rich man. Adderal XR seems to be helping during class lectures hopefully it will help with conversations as well. The only thing that remains constant however; is being able to get song lyrics right.

K

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

that was just great reading thanks. ha,ha,ha. very funny.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s another song that I’ve mis-understood and my wife bursts into laughter:

Miley Cirus song “Party in the USA”

Well, much to the amusement of my wife, I would hear the following :

” It’s a party only you can stay” as opposed to “Its a party in the USA”.

There’s many more funny ones, in fact I once dedicated a song to a girl not really knowing the correct lyrics. She never talked to me again….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, I am not able to make out lyrics in songs, also. I have to read lyrics at least once while I sing along.

And, my sister sang, “On the 12th day of Christmas my tulip gave to me.”

Thanks for the info: an overlap in ADD symptoms called auditory processing disorder (APS).

I also have a brain shut down when people talk too fast or there is too much ambient sound/noise.

On the other hand, I have an amazing capacity to block out low-level distractions if I really need to focus on the task.

Although I believe I’ve had ADD for most of my life, since I got a traumatic brain injury, my talking speed has accelerated to the point where I don’t recognize myself. Post TBI, I sometimes get the words in the wrong order–frustrating.

Yes, I prefer instrumental music.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hate it when a friend or someone says they want to go somewhere and talk and then they choose a loud bar or restaurant. I hear everything in the room except for whatever they are telling me. It hurts my brain to have to focus only on what they are saying to me. I always thought I had a hearing problem, but now I think it’s just an ADD symptom.

As for lyrics, I always have to look up lyrics. Be careful out there though, I’ve picked up a virus from one of those lyrics websites before and it was not easy to get rid of.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I hate loud bars & restaurants too. It’s not just hard to hear & understand when people are talking; it wrecks my voice when I try to talk loud enough to be heard over the noise.

There’s a trick which does help, though it makes you sound quite ridiculous. The secret is to “talk above the noise”. Not “louder”, but “higher”.

Most noise in bars & clubs is at a certain pitch. That pitch is relatively low, since it’s a blend of everyone’s voices, and the music (heavy on the bass). To talk above it, you talk like Lina Lamont (the squeaky-voiced blonde, in “Singin in the Rain”). Your voice will be easy to hear, since it’s pitched well above the low cacophony of the rest of the noise. You’ll sound really weird—but if you’re like me, that won’t bother you.

This technique also protects your voice somewhat, because it’s not the high notes that will strain your voice; it’s the low ones in your chest register. Julie Andrews destroyed her voice, belting out all those low-pitched songs in the Broadway version of “Victor-Victoria”. If she’d sung them in her usual higher voice, she’d have been all right.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hahaha! That’s brilliant, Larynxa.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)