Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Not helping myself

Not helping myself2011-03-13T00:03:43+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! Finding Help Not helping myself

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been reading post about others who take their medication everyday. I am supposed to take methinwhatever everyday and i dont. I take it for three days then stop because i think its not working. I was under the impression that it would work right away. I do have energy and i do feel like i can complete tasks but i kinda felt a little buzzed. But i dont think i am helping my self because i am supposed to start on 10mg then go to 20 but when i start and stop i just immediatley go to the 20mg.

I really need some support. After reading someone elses post about taking the same medication, she said she started at 10 and felt the same way but finally had a breakthrough.

Im thinking if i give my self a chance with the medication i will see results. Because im in denial but relate to what everyone is saying i go back and forth on whether i need to be on medication. I was diagnosed a couple weeks ago. I know i need to straighten my life out but im not helping myself if im not going to give medication a chance.

So maybe tomorrow i will take my 10mg and work my way up like im supposed to and continue. Need some encouraging words. :?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keep at it mrsm2003. You do need to stick to it the way the Dr. told you to in order to see if it works. There’s no other way to do it. You may find you need a different med, but you won’t know unless you do the first trial correctly! Good luck and keep us posted!

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

The first 5mg pill of Ritalin convinced me I had ADD. I could walk to the bathroom do my thing and carry on the conversation where I left off.

ADD is not bad. It is what it is. There can be some very possitive factors. I did garduate from college after flunking out 2 times.

Came back later and joined the honor society. Micro focus and learning to compensate is crucial. Along with the awareness that its the ADD affecting you.

Think back before you started taking the medicine. How are you different. The medicine can help in many different ways. Some are very subtle..and some are more pronounced.

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

@mrsm2003: You can do this. Get through this trial as prescribed even if you don’t see a difference, and maybe the next med/dosage will be the game-changer. Try not to let discouragement sabotage you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, i had to start my 20mg pill today because i was afraid to split it in half. I took it at about 10-10:30. But at least i started it. I felt motivated and energetic but it only lasted for 2-3hrs. I ran a couple errands but started feeling unmotivated while i was out. I started feeling tired so i layed down. I dont feel anything right now.

I will keep going….

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

Um… if you’re on short-acting methylphenidate, or ritalin, then this is normal and entirely to be expected—it’s designed to work for only a few hours. Were you not told that, or at least instructed to take more than one dose per day?

When you return to your prescribing doctor, you can ask specifically for the long-acting version of methylphenidate, or Concerta.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was told that it was only supposed to work a couple, i thought even though the word “couple” means “two” that my doctor was exaggerating. The joke was on me (haha). I was not instructed to take more, but i will talk to my doctor when i see him. I did not know they had a long-acting version.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep updating.

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

mrsm2003

My Dr gave me the 5Mg Ritalin on a trial basis. He told me to take the first pill when I got up and the next one four hours later. Three days later on the folow up visit he asked me relate my experience. I could start to feel the medicine start to act about 30-45 minutes after taking it. The lights were on and I began to notice all the articles around me.–I would call it Spacial Awareness. If I needed an object I could go straight to it. I also knew where an object should not be….

I took the second pill 4 hours later… I can feel the energy and the awareness improve.. four hours later back to the old me trying to rush the project and can’t rememer where I left objects.

I might be wrong and if so someone please comment. There are two major parts to fix the ADD. The first is the DIAGNOSIS..The DR gave me the medicine. The second part is just as dificult as the first one, PROPER DOSSAGE. There are many perscriptions..some generics.Basically the same active ingredient but different delivery systems and dosage. It might take time for the Dr to find what works best for you. As you read thru the comments/Forum you become aware of the one size does not fit all. Work with the DR tell him what takes place and when as you try the medicine. This will aid him help him and you reach your goal.

Thank God for my wife and DR. My anxieties/wories are no longer crippling me.

Don’t give up THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IS BRILLIANT

Good luck on your journey

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, well i think this is day 3. I have noticed that the first couple hours i have energy, then it turns to calm. Maybe thats why i was thinking i needed to take more but if i measure out everything its seems to last 6 to 7 hrs. Does that sound right for metha(whatever)?

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

That sounds about right.. The length can vary due to the delivery system. 6-7 hours is not bad. Try to start when you get the energy burst. I try to pace myself and continue working. If I get sloppy I know that it has worn off. Part of the beauty of this for me is the ability to recognize the state of the medicine. I don’t want to over medicate due to over energizing and causing problems in good areas.

I have become very aware of the metal awareness differences. Clutter bothers me now I can see it. I can act on it. I start every morning now making the bed..yes Im a man and married. I clean up the kitchen, the living room. etc.

I will straighten up again at night before going to bed.

I feel much better going to bed at night and I feel better in the mornings.

Things still slip my mind when effects are lowered. I promissed to take a shower before going to bed-needed it- been working hard. Got tied in this forum and at 3 AM I start to go to bed- My wife said “MMMMM”. Ok Ill take my shower sorry forgot. My wife understands and I no longder beat myself up.

Good luck. Medicine is not a cure -For me it brings the awareness to get things organized and done. I still have to do the work…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)