Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Now "how to" if you don't tell

Now "how to" if you don't tell2012-02-14T08:33:19+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Who to Tell? Now "how to" if you don't tell

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been trying todecide wheather to tell or not, most of the posts here has convinced me that not telling might be better. Now I need tips on what to do to keep on top of things at work so that I don’t get fired. I am in admin, in building and construction. Any tips on coping mechanisms or plans of action?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s difficult. I feel that there is a stigma attached to mental illness that is not present for other disabilities. The question you have to be asking yourself is: “are there any accommodations my employer could provide to make it easier for me to perform my duties?” The ADA gives you the right to ask for those accommodations, but only if your employer is aware of your disability. Also, it only protects you from discrimination if you let them know. You can visit the ADA site or askjan.org for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

I’ve always struggled with admin, numbers, etc. In order to avoid errors which I make consistently, I do most things 2x.

Example: I’ll fill out a form or software input, trying to be careful and accurate, then set it aside and move on to the next thing. Later I return to the 1st form and check it and in effect do it again, correcting any errors I find. Yes it’s doing everything 2x, but it gets the job done accurately. Most of the time.

Secondly, if you hate what you do and you’re up to your armpits in errors and job warnings, you’re in the wrong job…assess your likes and dislikes and find a job that suits who you are, and how you perform.

Hope that helps, jc

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I have a very administrative job, and I really want to try to stick it out – at least for a respectable period of time so i dont’ seem like a “job jumper.”

I’ve been upgrading to computerized systems – more “paperless.” For example there are project management programs that are used in construction. I don’t know if you are in a position where you can make decisions like that, but if you can’t institute it company-wide, maybe you can do it on a personal basis.

I rely heavily on Outlook – synced with an iPhone – with reminders and alarms throughout the day. I’m still trying to find the right balance, but my work has improved just learning about ADD, getting onto meds, and trying not to worry about past failures. I am trying to remove all distractions from my work environment, and avoid meeting with people on the spot – I try to always work things into the schedule and do less and less spontaneous stuff.

I hope it helps :)

-munch

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There so many flavours of Admin positions……..if your looking for support, or job management tips, it would help folks if you were more descriptive Re: Job functions. Your post is maybe a little too ambiguous in that regard……..I’m jus sayin’.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)