Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

nuerotoxicity in meds

nuerotoxicity in meds2010-06-22T15:18:46+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community nuerotoxicity in meds

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

veronica

Doc,

What are your thoughts on this subject? I recently “attended” a web conference with a Pych in NC, USA. She discussed the differences in the way each med works (eg… ritalin ~vs~ adderall) and how they can essentially affect individuals differently. The thing that struck me as interesting is the way she went on to describe how dexadrine (sp?) meds waste your brain’s nerve endings away.

I can’t give you specific verbiage she used, cuz’ I really can’t think about right now, but i felt as though she was basing her opinions on facts of testing that was not on humans (mainly primates and rats). So, I do understand that most medications come with a certain level of caution and warnings on side effects; however, I don’t understand why more information and study results are not available that have been performed on humans.

I hope this makes sense.

She did mention taking omega3 supplements as a good thing while taking this medication, or any ADD med for that matter. I know it’s not a bad thing to do, but still just need some clarification on the thought process of how this medicine is more damaging than good? or Is this a complete overreaction?

Also, what are your thoughts on switching meds from Adderall XR to Ritalin SR? I am currently on Adderall XR (a dexidrine med) and feel that perhaps it may be a good thing to switch…. but who knows, right?

Any info helps, thanks!

~v

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a literature about methamphetamine which is not good. That is not the same as dextroamphetamine which is good. There are no long term bad effects of dextro-amphetamine and making a switch from a medication that works may not be necessary.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)