Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Nurses with ADHD

Nurses with ADHD2011-12-05T02:30:42+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Nurses with ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

addnurse

Hello, I’m addnurse and I’ve been a RN for 16 years ….and 37 jobs! I’m currently working on the short-term Rehab unit of a LTC, and can never get all my work done, again, getting tired and at 55, running OUT of options. Meds, treatments, charting, peg tubes, IV’s, families, interruptions a billion times a day!!!!! Am taking Adderall which is helping somewhat, but I can’t seem to get organized, prioritized, and done………any ideas before I (maybe) move on to job #38?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps a diary of the positives that you have managed during the day… I know that it is hard to remember to write all the time, but if left perhaps with your mobie phone, it might prove helpful! You do more and prioritized more than you think ADDNURSE :)

Or am I just rambling on?

REPORT ABUSE

billd

How about a different TYPE of nursing job?

My wife’s cousin runs/heads VNS – Visiting Nursing Services.

She’s a long-time nurse with Mercy here, taught nursing, and now is something like CEO or whatever……… of VNS.

With your abilities, I’d think the possibilities would be nearly endless. BTW – thanks for BEING a nurse!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

fellow nurse here =)

I agree with billd about considering another nursing environment. One of the best aspects of a nursing career is the multitude of different options in nursing. maybe a doc office? occupational RN? public health? telephone rn for an insurance co? just something without beeping tubes and QID 24.7min before etc meal dosing =P

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like you have options there Addnurse. The fact your tired, can never get all your work done seems “par for the course”. My experience tells me you folks are just plain…Over Worked & Can Never Get All Your Work Done……so no surprise there.

Under appreciated seems to follow suit as well……but not from me. I have all the respect in the world for you folks and the great work you do……and I don’t think you can hear that enough!!!!!

Maybe at 55 you might consider putting that vast knowledge and experience to work for “you”……….let the kids do the running now.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I owe a LOT to nurses of all types. Cousin Jeanette is wonderful, smart, kind, and has been a huge help. She’s been a nurse for many years, and taught as well.

More recently………. I owe this lady, a nurse, who led me on the path of discovery in my ADD journey. I ‘d say she was key. Yeah, there was the neuro-psychologist, but SHE suggested him, and she’s the one directing treatment, etc.

http://www.healthgrades.com/provider/waynella-runcie-2jf5w

I didn’t know what APRN was until I looked it up – this is a good description of what she does – a total package, wellness, etc. She not only knows the “condition”, but she knows the impact it has on live, work, play, family, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse_practitioner

Find a DOCTOR that can do that

REPORT ABUSE

anniea

Hello all, I am a nurse..for 26 plus years..first LPN then got my RN. I too have had more jobs than I can count. Night shift worked pretty good most of the time. I was day shift charge at a nurseing home for 4 years, I would come home and sleep for two hrs every nigt before dinner. I am working home health right now. It is low key, boring actually, but it is my favorite type of nursing. I am not getting paid nursing wages, but I can make the bills.

Looking back at all the kinds of nursing I have done, I can muli-task with the best of them, but its the sheer VOLUME we deal with that took a toll. It was a constant assault of noise, information, intercom pages, telephone, not to mention crabby aides and families.

I LOVE being a nurse, don’t give up. My thing is I never left til I was fired, and then that took a toll on my psyche too. I KNOW I am smart and a “good nurse”. Not picking up on inter-personal signals is difficult at times, as is remembering all the “stuff” I got done every day… every wk.

I too am in my 50s, sometimes I wish I had gone to get my advanced practice “license” as I am pretty sure I could have done it, but now is it worth the $$ and time.. I knew when I became a nurse I had found a home I would NEVER get bored with, and I haven’t..there is always something to learn or pass on.. I am looking to do more home health, and foot and nail care..and see what happens.. Don’t stop taking the medicine… it helps… Knowing what is the most critical things to get done of course..until it hits the fan and the “schedule” for the day goes out the window.. and remember…. nursing is a 24 hr job… where is it written we HAVE to get IT ALL done everyday?

REPORT ABUSE

billd

This is what would kill me:

>>It was a constant assault of noise, information, intercom pages, telephone, not to mention crabby aides and families. <<

anniea – thank you, too, for being a nurse.

Is the time and $$ worth it to move up that ladder? YES!!!!!

Ms. Runcie is in her 60s, and is brilliant as far as I’m concerned. She really recognizes and understands ADD.

You would too, we need you up there in that spot.

That is a wonderful post, by the way. I enjoy reading your posts.

REPORT ABUSE

Ellen

addnurse,
    I know this may be way overdue, but I feel for you!!!! Succeeding as a nurse with ADHD is truly a challenging situation. With all those jobs you have become a literal expert at landing nursing jobs. I wonder if there are any  consultation jobs out there in academia involved in helping nursing graduates find job placement (maybe at career centers for big nursing programs…).

I recently posted some tips and tricks for succeeding as a nurse with ADHD on my blog you can go to it here if you’d like. It is mostly focused on strategies for floor nursing such as try to eliminate any and all nonessentials until after your initial assessments are charted and tips for making a “brain sheet” that works for you. I hope it is helpful! All the best to you!

REPORT ABUSE

hullupoika

Ellen — thanks for resurrecting this old thread.   I hadn’t seen it before.

A little over three years ago, after a pretty severe physical and mental meltdown from PTSD, depression, anxiety, stress, etc.,  I was in serious need of a good psychiatrist. I got that suggestion from a psychiatrist in the cardiac ward where I had spent the day.

None were available, but someone in my doctor’s office (where Ive almost exclusively been seeing nurse practitioners for nearly 20 years) suggested I see a friend of her’s, who had just moved back into the local area.  Her friend was a psychiatric nurse practitioner.

I can unequivocally say that it saved my life.

I continue to see the psychiatric nurse practitioner approximately once per month.

I read your blog.  It is what she is all about.

I won’t go into much more detail.  I think she has more issues than I do, but we have many similar issues.  She has been a true godsend.  I believe I’ve also helped her a lot.

With our combined issues, we have been able to work out a lot of issues.  She is so well regarded that she almost always has psychiatric or clinical psychology students observing her sessions with me and many others.

I think you are on the right track.  I have an appointment with her in two days.  I will bring my electronic notebook with me and show her your info.  She stays overwhelmed –which she has helped me learn to overcome.  So, she may not get in touch with you.

The main thing is for people to know that there are so many good people, like you and her out there, that we all need to promote what you do.

Thanks,
    Knute

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)