Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Ok… I agree with my parents, friends and family…. What do I do next….

Ok… I agree with my parents, friends and family…. What do I do next….2012-08-13T03:46:53+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Need Help! Ok… I agree with my parents, friends and family…. What do I do next….

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

ph0t0bug

Since I was a kid I have been everything that every video on this site has suggested. I have found that almost ALL of the videos on this site have hit home… in some cases a little close to home. I remember watching a few that even during the funny parts I was tearing up. Not from laughter… but from sadness…. It is like someone actually knew what I was going through. My Mom told me that she thought that I might have ADD but I always thought there was NO way that was what I had. Others pointed out that I was able to sit at a computer or play a video game and stay with it, so there was no way I was ADD. I just accepted that I was never good at anything. Only as of late have I been able to see what others were telling me. I really WAS having problems. Every problem I have reflects back to all the other problems I have had and it builds to the point where when I think there is something I can do about a problem I over think it, make wrong decissions or just try to find a way to put the issue off insted of fixing the problem. I cant do this anymore. I have been to the edge of just giving up my life rather than deal with the depression and low self esteem that I reflect on myself. But Ill stop about that… I have prob. lost most of the readers by now.

My REAL question is this…. HOW can I find help in my area. I dont have alot of money for expensive, repeted Dr. appointments. My Mother has agreed to pay to help get me to see a doctor but I dont want it to be a waste of her money. I have tried in the past to take care of myself, but to no avale. I just dont know where to start. My nephew was diagnosed with ADHD and was placed on meds and it made a WORLD of difference. He was the “bad kid” and even after the first day of taking the meds he was, as one teacher put it, a brilliant child and a compleatly different kid. I just want to a point where I can opperate normally and am ready to give meds a chance. I normaly HATE medication. I dont even take pain killers if I need them or if they are perscribed to me by a doctor. I have made up my mind… I want to give this a try… I just want to fix me. I have to fix me… I feel that I wont be able to keep it up unless I get help.

I live in New Orleans…. and if there is anyone around here who knows who I could see PLEASE let me know. PLEASE… Im desprate at this point. I think Ill start recording videos just so I can see the difference as I go along this journey… Could be very intresting.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I live in east Texas. Probably about six hours from NO. My diagnosis was quite easy. I saw the ADHD guy who dignosed my son. He gave me a TOVA test (Saturday morning) and . . . I passed? It cost about $200 for the test and diagnosis. The MD I use charges about $10 to sign a script and I get adderall across the street for about $35.

I describe the test at http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=256

If this is of any interest to you, let me know.

REPORT ABUSE

ph0t0bug

What part of East Texas? Im orig. from Hunstville. Anyway…. Yes I would be intrested in heariing more about this. Can people from otherr states go there? I wonder if there are people here that do it…. great.. more to look into 😉

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have a Pathways center here in my town that does ADHD screenings and treatments, but my insurance won’t pay them (many others will, though).

Here is a link to a Pathways center I found in your area that provides ADD/ADHD services…..

http://www.pathwaysbehavioralcenter.com/ServicesProvided.en.html

…maybe they can at least point you in the right direction.

Hope this at least helps to get the ball rolling for you! Don’t get discouraged…check all of your options!

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Hey, stick with us ph0t0bug. To begin with let your mother express her love for you by helping you get diagnosed n treated. This is an act of kindness to her as well as yourself. A big part of my problem even though low self esteem and feeling less than most of the people in my life looks n feels like the biggest, is still my pride. It makes us feel good to help folks, so letting your mom and the people here help you is letting them have the happiness of helping someone. Pride can get in the way of letting people help us.

You can keep on spending time here too. Keep watching the video’s. Read a lot too. It’s good to open up about how much pain this adhd crap has been causing in your life. You’re in the solution now, run with it!.

Plan A

How about finding out where your nephew got diagnosed n treated? I’ll bet that would be a good idea for the first phone call. Then stick with it, follow through has been one of the hardest things for me. It’s really worth it though.

Plan B

Check out as many of the different social services agencies as you can find in your area. Keep a notepad, take the time to write everything down, and be willing to tell them the whole truth about how much this is really affecting your life. It’s pretty clear you’re at a point where you’ve become willing to take some serious action.

Pick up that phone, check for local contacts on the Internet. And I hope to see ya posting here some more. Lot’s of folks here do care, we read lot’s of posts but sometimes just plain forget to post a reply even though we do care about new folks here.

Congratulations on making the beginning of a surrender to the process of overcoming your adhd struggles. Welcome to the team, in a short time you’ll probably start feeling like a bunch of us have got your back. Because a bunch of us will have your back as much as we possibly can on an Internet forum.

None of us tackle this thing alone.

Plan C,

possibly the most important one, is to make yourself a part of this community. Ya can’t get kicked out for writing too much. I promise.

Take it easy

8-13-12

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

ph0t0bug: I live near Nacogdoches. I don’t think it would be a problem being from another state. Some of the patients I have seen in waiting rooms around here look like they are from another planet.

You can email me at preenabelle@gmail.com for more info if you like.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

kc5jck – just read your post about the test. Too funny, I did a similar test and was quite proud of myself too until I was told I failed it :-) It’s amazing how many things we can think about at once!

ph0t0bug – here’s a link to some ADHD resources in New Orleans – http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=New+Orleans&county=Orleans&state=LA&spec=6

REPORT ABUSE

ph0t0bug

ok…. Its happened… I got meds…. Adderall…. Excited and scared to death at the same time. Its funny… .I cant stay concentrated enough on the excitement or the scared… He gave me the 30mg and told me to try to split the pills at first to see how it was going to be… oh.. BTW thanks for all the sound responces… sorry it took a month to get back on… but took me that long to find a doctor… then when I found him… go figure… he also has ADD!! We talked about what was going on with me and he seems to think this could help. Im wondering how it is going to help. How will I feel? Thats the fear.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)