Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

OMG Omega-3! What's the ideal ratio of EPA:DHA

OMG Omega-3! What's the ideal ratio of EPA:DHA2010-11-30T13:46:11+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Alternative Treatments OMG Omega-3! What's the ideal ratio of EPA:DHA

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ellamama

After taking Omega 3 fish oils for several years (and appreciating some benefits–albeit not as dramatic as Concerta), I heard that one should assure the correct ratio of EPA:DHA. (Omega 3s are a group of fatty acids. These include EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid). From what I read (which was, admittedly not the primary research but references to them) the ideal ratio is 4:1, i.e., 4 units of EPA to 1 unit of DHA. Of course, when I checked out what I had in the cupboard (some Costco store brand, some Nordic Naturals-brand) I realized that none had this ration. They all favored DHA. Then I researched further and found conflicting information. Some say that if you want to emphazie the antiinflammatory benefits of Omega 3s you should get more DHA; others assert that neurological benefits come from more EPA–but then I read the reverse and the current rage in prenatal supplements is DHA for the purported neurological benefits.

Now, I’m tossing it to you folks. (And maybe I can managed to return to the tasks I’m *SUPPOSED* to be working on.)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I would be interested too in what people have to say. I am going to enlist one of my colleagues to weigh in on this. He is a Naturopathic doc but also a Masters in Pharmacology and an expert on natural products. Give me a week but like to hear what people’s thoughts are.

REPORT ABUSE

ellamama

Thanks, Dr. J. for checking your sources. Interestingly (at least to me…) there’s an Rx omega 3 supplement (at least in the US) manufactured under the name Lovaza (http://www.lovaza.com/). It’s approved to reduce blood triglycerides, but is apparently being used “off lable” for ADD as well as to augment mood stabelizers.

REPORT ABUSE

bedelia

I have just started taking Omega 3 supplements with a 7:1 EPA/DHA ratio, and am hoping this will help. I read somewhere that it should be AT LEAST 3:1, and tHIS was tHe only one I found. I am 75 years old, and although my therapist seems quite sure ADD is my problem, she said it would be difficult to get a conclusive test result at my age. Instead she is helping me with strategies, and I am trYing the omega 3 route. The brand I found, which is American, but has a Canadian supplier, is: OmegaBrite.

I would also like to know if there is any research on ADD and the elderly. boy, I hate using that word to describre myself. but I guess it’s true. Any advice FOR an elderly ADDer?

Bedelia

REPORT ABUSE

buddha192

I started taking a fish oil tablet with an EPA:DHA ratio of 2:1.  I was taking 2,000 mg.  One in the morning and one at night.  Within about 4 days I started experiencing heart palpitations severe enough that I ended up at the emergency ward.  The doctor there told me it was an “ectopic” beat that wasn’t life threatening, even though when nurse felt my pulse I was rushed in ahead of all the other patients in line.

When I got home, I started wondering if the fish oil had anything to do with it, and so I looked it up on the web.  Bingo..first site I checked warned about heart palpitations with fish oil.  I stopped taking it and the heart palpitations gradually went away after a few days.

I took the fish oil tablets because all the pharmaceutical medications prescribed to me caused serious side effects, like not being able to pee.  Guess I’m out of options now.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

This shows us that “natural” does NOT necessarily mean “safe”.

There are many “natural” things out there that are extremely dangerous: Foxglove (AKA Digitalis—affects the heart), Rhubarb (leaves contain deadly levels of oxalic acid), Arnica (used for pain relief, but deadly poisonous). And many of the elements in the Periodic Table are deadly: Arsenic, Lead, Mercury, Thallium…

Even something as seemingly “natural” and “healthy” as Fish Oil can be dangerous, depending on your underlying medical conditions. And grapefruit (fruit or juice) can cause dangerous reactions when taken with certain medications. Heck, even too much Vitamin A, salt, or water can kill you!

So, before you go taking any supplements or “alternatives”, no matter how “natural”, you need to have a serious talk about them with your pharmacist and/or doctor.

@Buddha192, inability to urinate can lead to very serious complications. So, it should be discussed with your doctor, ASAP.

REPORT ABUSE

wilsonmadison

There is a plethora of fish oils with varying ratios of EPA and DHA long chain omega-3 fatty acids, with numerous applications. EPA and DHA are commonly found togther in some supplements and their competative relationship gives the beneficial results. Doctor suggested me to take omega-3 supplements which makes me satisfactory.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I’d rather just eat the fish.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Me, too: Eat the fish.

Steamed salmon with ginger, scallions, and soy sauce.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

What ratios do you use for salmon to ginger, scallions, and soy sauce?

I usually broil the salmon and use 2T bernaise sauce to serving of salmon.

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

Hi Dinak,

I tried the Omega 3 suppliment route but didn’t notice any effect on my ADHD symptoms so I’m not taking them now. I did watch a presentation by Dr Russell Barkley recently where he states that there are no research studies that showed any improvement in ADHD symptoms while on a diet high in Omega 3. Maybe it’s because it wasn’t being combined with other essential nutrients like the Omega 6? Who knows. Just food for thought. (Pun intended) 😀

Regards

Richard
    AKA That Guy with ADHD

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)