Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

On the road to learning about me!

On the road to learning about me!2011-02-06T06:11:48+00:00

The Forums Forums I Just Found Out! My Story On the road to learning about me!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

As a child I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and Cognitively delayed as a child. I was put on Ritalin *sigh*, took myself off of the medication about 1 year later because it ‘Zombied’ me… (Didn’t realize I was not correctly dosed)

So, from 1989 – 2011 I have been dealing with all sorts of issues. I had all sorts of problems with school, and my inability to function as a normal child in school. As I have gotten into my adult years, I have continued on having issues with job hopping, relationship hopping, and financial issues.

In 2005, I ended up going to school to become a truck driver. I drove truck for a total of 3 years (yes I still had issues) until I injured my knee and have been off the road for 2 years now. What I have discovered is that I do horribly in jobs where my area of focus is broad, unlike driving where my focus is narrowed and specific (looking forward, checking mirrors, etc…)

Here I am, it’s 2011 and I have decided, through the suggestion of DVR (Department of Vocational Rehabilitation), to go through and get a neuropsych done. I just finished the last test here on Friday, and then tonight I was watching the show that is associated with this website. I do have to say that I was cracking up, and for the first time ever….

I actually was paying attention, I was absorbing what was being said, and most of all… It backed up everything that has been going on in my life up until now. I am hoping that a combination of support through this site and also through DVR will be able to help me get back to driving truck and be very successful without having to jump ship as I have done so many times in the past.

I would like some input from those who read this post about your experiences, especially if you are similar to me in some of the issues that I have mentioned. Also, if you are a truck driver, I would really love to get input from you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan, Congrats on taking the exam………. Have you looked at the http://www.dshs.wa.gov/dvr/ website . It provides some not all the information about DVR in your state. What do you expect to gain from this service (DVR) If I may ask?…….. I see you would like to get back into trucking….. Are the meds an issue with driving a truck? Do you even take meds? Should you?…….. May I ask the job prospects for a truck driver in your local?

I have used the service in the past and hope to use it again in the future. My suggestion is you need to be educated about youself and your specific disability. Educate yourself about ADHD thoroughly it will greatly increase your chances at success. They really do want to assist you but they are not miracle makers. You must be willing to give 100% of yourself to the ADHD diagnosis if that is what is determined. Really pay attention to any observations and assessments made about you.

I would like to continue dialoguing with you as you (we) make this journey. I wish you great sucess? Although not a truck driver but one that loves to travel by land vehicles and had been in the service business (service construction) and travelled many miles daily I somewhat understand the driving analogy…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey there Njadd,

DVR is the one who is covering the cost of the exam. I am sooo excited and nervous to find out what the outcome is going to be. DVR and myself are working towards getting me into a job where I am going to be more successful and there is longevity but at the same time assuring that the direction I am going is going to be the best choice for me.

Medication should not be an issue, it depends on how I handle treatment. I am looking more towards the more naturalpathic way of treatment. Even though I have not been ‘officially’ diagnosed, I am still doing what I can to change things that I know I can change without any help at all.

I will keep you posted as the events unfold :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan……. Ok some thoughts……. DVR is great…. They do offer a tremendous amount of support…… I have been told it is funded by the FED and STATE coffers……… If you had the opportunity to check out the videos here on totallyadhd.com great!…….. If not, the one about the “hollistic” approach to adhd treatment I would definitely steer you towards. You know what, you really should view them all as you will find often different videos touch u in different ways and the best part is u can start and stop looking at them anytime, they have been produced for “ease” (lack of a better word) of viewing for those with ADHD……

I must say educating yourself about as much as you can regarding ADHD is going to be your greatest alli. I unfortunately put the cart before the horse when it came to the DVR and ADHD. I saw the benefits of DVR but I knew nothing about ADHD. In fact because of my lack of knowledge about it ADHD has been a great disability for me as oppossed to the great asset it should have been……..

There are many facets of DVR and the resources they offer. Check your states website. ASK ASK ASK questions. I am couriious what type of asistance from DVR are you looking for if I may ask? I have recently chatted with persons here on the east coast regarding DVR and it seems they are kinda sometimes pushing people thru the system just cauz it is again a Gov’t program and they do have to see such a large number of persons in need of real assistance………. Please keep in touch and let me know how things are working out….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hit “send” twice

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)