Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Other People

Other People2012-02-03T14:07:22+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Strategies for Work Other People

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think my job would go lot smoother if I didn’t have to put up with other people. It’s not that I hate other people, it’s just that I have no idea what “unspoken” messages I’m supposed to be getting from them. And it stresses me out to be at the end of the day, I’ve told them over and over again that such and such a thing was happening and it’s only NOW that they finally take notice. And even though I predicted that they would willfully ignore my messages until now, it still upsets me because I don’t no how they will react – because I can’t understand the subtleties of human communication. But I gave myself a hard and fast deadline, told everyone we’ll discuss it in the morning and then worry and stress about what they might be thinking about my behavior.

There’s got to be something more than “just don’t think about it.”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a great communication course “Dale Carnagie”, that can really assist people in the interpersonal communication world.

I know many folks who have gone through it and thought it was a great tool…….might be worth having a look??

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

At the recommendation of a friend, I have acquired his “How to win friends and Influence People” book. I hope it’s not too hard to read – I hate non fiction.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Hi GG,

I hear your frustration!! A book (actually, I listened to the audio tapes) that really helped me is “Difficult Conversations” http://www.amazon.com/Difficult-Conversations-Discuss-What-Matters/dp/0143118447 It talks a lot about the emotional content behind people’s words and what prevents them (and you!) from getting the intended message.

When things are falling apart or when the deadline is tomorrow, there is no time to sit down and say, “We have a communication problem.” Do whatever you have to to get through the crisis and then, when things are calm, ask the question, “What could WE do so that this kind of situation doesn’t happen in future?” That way there is no blame and you’re including all parties in the conversation.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)