Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Out of the Darkness

Out of the Darkness2013-05-10T15:36:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Venting! Out of the Darkness

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Normal

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:””;
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:”Times New Roman”;}

Several days ago, I attended a conference where something so incredibly dangerous, irresponsible, and traumatic was inflicted upon us—with neither our advance knowledge nor our consent, and despite the instructions of the organizers NOT to do it—that I am still very, very shaken by what happened.

However, it has taught me many things, the most important of which is, that I am so very much stronger and braver than I ever imagined, because of my ADHD.

I personally experienced discovering that, in a crisis, an ADD’er’s hyperfocus kicks in, and they become the calmest, most focussed person in the room.  Because mine did, and I was.

I now have a much better understanding of myself, and of my abilities.  And I am using what this experience has taught me, in order to educate others.

In this day and age, with such an awareness of the impact of PTSD, the heightened alertness to terrorism (especially with the recent events in Boston), and of the dangers and illegality of hazing, it is unbelievable that two so-called “master teachers” would inflict what can only be described as a combination hostage-taking/hazing activity on unsuspecting and unconsenting people at a conference.  And that the organizers would not stop it immediately—despite having specifically told the “teachers”, in advance, NOT to do it.

The story is so deeply disturbing that I will not post it here.  Instead, I have uploaded it elsewhere.  If you really want to read it, send me a personal message, and I’ll send you the link.

But, I warn you, it is definitely NOT for those who are easily upset.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

What was the conference about? It sounds intriguing but also like you were put through something you shouldn’t have been put through.

If you want to talk about it to get it off your chest then feel free to send a private message through the friends pages if you thinks it’s not for the faint hearted.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Crikey, that sounds intriguing! It is fascinating how the ADD’er seems to have a different perspective to those around during a crisis, or present as utter chaos is erupting, no? It’s almost as if a sub-conscious auto-pilot kicks in and one has a matrix-like ability to know what to do, when to do it, and how to do it, often in a nano-second! After the crisis/emergency/pandemonium, or whatever has passed, and one’s mind considers what was averted, negotiated, or dealt with that we begin to realise that we really are ‘Critical Incident Experts’ lol….it’s almost as if we’re always sleepwalking, and it takes something dangerous, exciting, or harrowing just to jolt us into action, eh? Weird…ah well, at least you now know that in the event of a very serious situation that your ADHD, for once, is not an impediment, but is in fact a strength, and a formidable one at that! Take care 🙂

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Allan-Wallace, when you add HSP (being a Highly Sensitive Person) to the mix, you really get a “Canary in a Coal Mine”.

I now know that we instinctively notice things long before anyone else has even the slightest hint of an inkling about them.  And if those things are bad, we prepare for them (whether we realize it or not) because we find them so interesting and/or uncomfortable, that we CAN’T just sit back and do nothing.

It’s the wise organizer or employer who notices that ability in a person and nurtures it, because it can be a HUGE help to them in handling (or averting) a “disaster”.  But that organizer or employer has to be TAUGHT to notice & nurture that “Canary”.

And that’s one of the things I’ll be doing when I finish my ADDCA training and get my certification as a Coach.  Training employers to notice & nurture the unique abilities and talents of ADD’ers—whether “Canaries” or not—so that everyone benefits!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)