Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Oversleeping? One more incident and i will surely get myslf fired

Oversleeping? One more incident and i will surely get myslf fired2013-09-05T19:02:28+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Oversleeping? One more incident and i will surely get myslf fired

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

achelois

Does anyone else have an issue with not waking up even when alarm goes off?

I shut it off this week, twice and i can not even remember doing that!

I was very late to work and i am running out of excuses …..

My boss does not like it and if it happens again, i am going to be in huge trouble.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Someone posted that they set their alarm for about a half hour before they want to get up.  When it goes off, they take their meds which have kicked in by the time their second alarm goes off.

What is needed is a capsule of ADHD meds that waits for eight hours before releasing its entire contents.  Then you could take it before lights out.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Oh yes, I have done that. Many, many times. Too many to count. And it has gotten me fired.

One thing that I know many people here have mentioned that helps is setting 2 alarms a few minutes apart.

I used to do the medication trick too. Or sometimes I would keep candy beside the bed and pop it in my mouth as soon as I wake up. Of course, you have to actually wake up for that work.

Another trick I use is putting my alarm clock so far out of my reach that I have to get out of bed to shut it off. And then turning the volume up really, really loud so that it is so annoying I can’t ignore it. Once I’m on my feet it’s less likely I will lie down and go back to sleep. Also, I never shut it off the first time. I always hit snooze. That way if I do drift off it will wake me up again in 10 minutes.

Another one is changing the alarm. I use a clock radio and I find that if I leave it on the same station too long I kind of get used to the noise and it doesn’t wake me up any more. So I will alternate stations. And if I really have to get up right away for something very important I set it on buzzer instead. That has become my cue that I have to wake up. Sort of like a fire alarm.

If all else fails there are alarm clocks that flash and/or shake the bed.

REPORT ABUSE

wanderquest

My husband does that exactly. Doesn’t hear the alarm at all or turns it off and doesn’t remember doing it at all. I think he needs switch out alarms because he’s too used to the sound.

I am super sensitive to sound so I ALWAYS hear it, I can wake up to the buzz from a vibrating ringtone on my phone sitting on my nightstand. But I hit snooze 6 times so I have my alarm set a full hour before I have to get up.

I’m going to try taking my med on the first alarm. I think that could work for me. Thanks @kc5jck

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@wanderquest, when I took a more fast acting medication I found that trick would work. After about half an hour of snoozing I would suddenly get a surge and feel awake.

i am finding it harder and harder to get out of bed in the morning. I used to set my alarm 10 minutes early so I could hit snooze once. Now I am doing the same thing as you, hitting the snooze button for an hour.

I used to be very sensitive to sound as well. But it didn’t help me to get up in the morning because the sound of the alarm was so annoying I just wanted it to go away.

I smashed the first alarm clock my mom ever gave me. It went off and without even waking up I picked it up and whipped it across the room. Hearing it hit the wall and break apart woke me up and I rushed to grab the pieces and put it back together before my mother saw it. And never let on that I knew anything about why it had stopped working.

i had a couple more beeping clocks after that but they never worked because I just shut them off automatically and kept right on sleeping.

Then I got my first clock radio. I loved music and would wake up so that I could listen to it. It didn’t get me out of bed because I just wanted to lay there and listen to the music. But I was awake and would eventually get up after being yelled at enough times.

REPORT ABUSE

achelois

@kc5jck – God no.

Long release ADHD meds brought me to the ER and caused terrible panic attacks,

I only take instant release.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@achelois– I think what kc5jkc is saying is that it would be good to have a med that you could take that would not start working for 8 hours. That way it would automatically wake you up in the morning.

I almost died from a bad reaction to an antidepressant once so I can relate to your experience. I have been much more wary of medications ever since then. If you have to take the IR meds then the trick that might work for you is taking it half an hour before you get up, or however long it takes for it to kick in.

REPORT ABUSE

SpaceKadet76

I’m new to all this…  I have issues waking up on time. I down loaded a “smart alarm” on my android phone. I have to answer a question or do a math problem before I hit snooze or turn the alarm off. It’s somewhat helpful. May work better for others.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Hi @SpaceKadet76, welcome to TADD.

That is a very interesting alarm. I can’t see myself using it. Especially if the answer to the math question has to be correct. But it may work for some. Thanks for sharing the idea. 🙂

Another thing I didn’t mention before that somewhat works for me is to think about something that I really want to do. Not getting up for work or an appointment or whatever, but something fun, like if I get up now I’ll have time to play a game, read a book, eat French toast for breakfast etc. Sometimes it motivates me to take that first step. Other times I just have to yell at myself. “Come on, get up! You know you’re just going to regret it if you don’t…”

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

I can sympathize with the difficulty of waking up. It’s worse if I go to bed too late. I just kind of integrate the sound of the alarm into my dream 🙂

The phone does work pretty well at waking me up though. Is there someone you can get to call you to force you to get up? If it’s someone who knows you have to get up they’ll know not to  hang up until you answer.

REPORT ABUSE

Irish10
    Participant

When failure is not an option in getting up in the morning, i.e. a 7:30 a.m. client breakfast meeting, catching an early morning flight, etc… I’ll make every attempt to get 7 1/2 hours of sleep that night and start to wind down early in the evening.  Then I’ll set my alarm near my bed, followed by setting an alarm on my cell phone.  I found the most obnoxious alarm I could find for my cell phone. The key is to place the cell in the bathroom (plugged in and charging), so that you have to get out of bed and walk a certain amount of steps to shut it off.  I’ll set the bedside alarm for the actual time that I want to get up and the cell phone alarm is set for 5 minutes after that time.  That motivates me to get up and out of bed, because I don’t want to hear that obnoxious alarm on my cell phone.  On occasion, especially if I’m going to get less than 6 hours of sleep that night and have a critical early morning meeting, I’ll set two regular alarm clocks in the bedroom, in addition to the cell phone in the  bathroom.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I had a friend who had muscular dystrophy which made it very hard for her to get out of bed. She used to have her husband call her after he got to work.

I have had dreams where there is a radio playing somewhere and it’s really loud and annoying and I am searching everywhere trying to find it so that I can shut it off. Then when I find it I can’t get it to turn off. Even when I unplug it it still keeps playing and just gets louder and louder.

Often when I have those kinds of dreams I will start to hear my mother calling me. It sounds so real that I think she is actually calling me and I wake up. And realize that the radio is my alarm going off.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)