Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Patterns & logic, yes; maths no. Different way of learning?

Patterns & logic, yes; maths no. Different way of learning?2010-03-06T00:12:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Patterns & logic, yes; maths no. Different way of learning?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

BuxomDiva
    Participant

never mind – just learned that Dr. Turgay passed away so that leaves nobody in the city specializing in ADHD other than Dr J ~sigh~

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is just incredible, it’s very interesting to hear other people’s experiences/perspective.

I’ve been trying to figure out why I’m so good at some things in math and so bad at basic calculations. I never could memorize formulas in math class, I always depended on understanding the concept and then being able to figure out the formula to get the information I wanted. This has really been a big advantage because it’s harder to forget, and I can still figure things out 20 years later based on concepts. …BUT… when co-workers are trying to figure out (in their heads) the mileage, driver costs, fuel, rental, insurance etc that it costs to make deliveries of our product for instance, I don’t even try anymore. I can’t keep up, I go totally blank. These same coworkers come to me when they need to find the volume or surface area, or anything to do with ratios, angles etc.

I get so bogged down with simple calculations. I remember doing “Mad Minute” or “Mental Math” timed addition,subtraction, multiplication,division worksheets in school and struggling all the way through and being frustrated at such simple questions, especially after grasping the concepts so easily.

Despite my difficulties, I find mathematics to be one of the most interesting subjects.

REPORT ABUSE

Sunshine1980

BuxomDiva-If you are willing to drive to Barrie, there is Dr. Tim Bilkey. I am currently under going my testing and evaluation phases of ADD. He is very thorough and specializes in education of ADHD/ADD in Canada and around the world to othe MDs.

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

Dr. Bilkie also charges an exorbitant amount for testing, and I have no way to get to Barrie anyway. With the founding of CADDRA I think Dr. J. holds the record for educating other MD’s about ADHD, but then I’ve been seeing him for over a decade so I’m slightly biased.

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

I got my initial diagnosis from Dr. Berenice Mandelcorn in Toronto. I wen to her on the recommendation of a friend who saw her and was diagnosed with a Non-Verbal LD. ( Just to avoid confusion, NVLD means that the person’s verbal skills are unimpaired, not that they are non-verbal). She’s a Psychologist though, so she can’t prescribe meds. She’s also quite expensive ($3000 for psychometric testing).

Right now, I’m seeing Dr. Domenic Dimanno at in the Outpatient Mental Health Clinic at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga. I’ve only had one meeting with him so far, but he’s been great. He doesn’t specialize in ADHD but he did tell me has experience with Childhood ADHD from his residency at Sick Kids.

In any case, he’s lightyears better than the last guy my GP referred me to, who I never came out and said it, but I’m pretty sure doesn’t believe in adult ADHD at all, as he started disputing my Psychologist’s diagnosis after having read half the introductory page of her report.

Back on topic. I was pretty good in math with the exception of transformational geometry until Grade 10. Then I really started struggling and I had no clue why. Didn’t stop me from taking all 3 math OACs, though I did terribly in Calculus and Algebra Geometry. Finite Math was ok.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)