Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Paying Bills on Time

Paying Bills on Time2011-05-17T00:07:32+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the suggestions. I am a business owner but I do not use a smartphone, so the alarm function is not going to do it for me. I don’t use Outlook but I do use gmail. The task list and calendar there just don’t work for me because I actually have to make an effort to look at them. I’m always checking email for my business so that works for me, kind of like SDWA.

I still don’t see the Receiver General of Canada in the list of payees online with my bank (TD Canada Trust), and that’s the one I’m concerned about.

In my early 20s many eons ago, I made the mistake of only paying the minimum balance on my new credit card (Eaton’s – anyone remember them?) and it took quite a few years to dig out of that hole. These days since I used my points credit card in my business, I do get up to the limit fairly often, so I am used to making balloon payments in advance of the due date since they refuse to increase my credit limit. Good for you CURLYMOE for digging yourself out of a hole.

I really don’t want emailed statements, Bell Canada’s are always a really big hassle to download and print and for the longest time it took me many attempts and days to print them (not me, their website was glitching). And yes, I need the printout. I’m an accountant (although I don’t work as one anymore except for my own bookkeeping) and Canada Revenue Agency needs paper, they require you to maintain a paper backup even if you do things electronically.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fair disclosure, I work in the credit card industry, but my advice would be to use a credit card to pay all your bills where possible. (I use mine for mobile phone, internet, utilities, groceries, gas, etc.) Then you have one bill to pay each month. On top of that, you get the points (for cashback or gift cards) and your credit score will improve based on frequent use and payment. (If you do this properly, your cost won’t increase, you’re just paying through a different method).

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)