Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Pharmacies keep trying to push me on to the Generic.

Pharmacies keep trying to push me on to the Generic.2011-04-06T22:52:57+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Pharmacies keep trying to push me on to the Generic.

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a great forum; though, everything that I should be doing is not being done because I can not tear myself away from all of the information. I started on medication for ADHD in June, and while it stopped me from drinking coffee, I was not finding any greater focus.

I had not yet been for a proper assessment, but based on my history, and my mental state, my GP was pretty confident in the diagnosis. As I was suffering from depression and anxiety at the time, he also put me on 10mg of Cipralex (seems to balance me fairly well).

Anyway, I finally got into the Bilkey Clinic in December, and Dr Bilkey was not surprised that the generic (I had never had the brand name, and did not even realize this) was not working well for the reasons above.

Having seen both, I can assure all that the Canadian generic is definitely not the same as Concerta (totally different delivery system) as is stated by my Canadian colleagues above.

What I did not realize until my meeting with Dr. Bilkey was the Janssen card. My insurance plan pays 80% of the generic cost only if one is available or the doctor writes no subs, so with the copay card from Janssen, I am now paying only the dispensing fee and I never have to worry about the script missing the info. My pharmacy has been very helpful in this process; though as this is a huge savings, and based on what I have been hearing, it is amazing that more of us were not advised of this from the beginning (Pharmacists should advise that copay is available). I hope that Janssen continues to provide the plan as without it, I could not afford the Concerta.

All in all though, I am not sure that even the Concerta is working (I am doing my best to fight the urge to start an e-mail I need to write, and the fact that I am still here writting this may actually mean it is??)

I have been from 18mg through to 76mg. I will say that after switching to Concerta, I had one of the biggest emotional breakdowns that I have had since this whole medication cycle began last June. It freaked me out, but since then, I have been much more balanced emotionally but still very scattered.

Thanks for the board and the opportunity to connect.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been switched over to the generic for a number of months (9+) now. It does NOT work as well as the name brand. I’m twitchy, very easily “irritated” (though I have a very loooong fuse it’s very short these days), my ability to focus is laughable, and in general I can’t seem to get out of my own way. I’m hyper-vigilant in the morning, my brain is in a blender in the afternoon, and I crash out in the evening.

All of the ‘smoothness’ that was so great with Concerta is out the window with the generic. Somebody seriously missed the mark on this if anyone thinks this ‘generic’ is the same as the name brand.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Just in case anyone missed it, I did a rant on GENERICS.

Which of course, turned into four rants.

http://totallyadd.com/generics-part-1/

Enjoy. It was fun raising all the questions. It’s frustrating to hear people are struggling. But, it’s better than not doing anything! Trust me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wish generics were so easy. I can not take any amphetamines, aneurism would likely blow up .. messy death I have been told

So, there are no options if the 2 available non speed pills dont work … ironically co pay is not available in the wilds of BC for

drugs like Strattera .. it sucks at times to not have access to all the perks and bennies that seem to be out there, unappreciatedly/

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)