Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Plus Other Really Tough Problems?

Plus Other Really Tough Problems?2012-08-20T14:29:17+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Other Plus Other Really Tough Problems?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have diabetes as well as my ADD. It has led to some awful experiences where I have forgotten my insulin in taxi cabs, left it in other states, forgotten to eat or take my medication, etc.

Does anyone have any strategies to help my brain keep me alive in spite of its every effort to engineer my demise?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My Dad has a little undiagnosed ADD and is always forgetting his medication like you were. The best solution for him was to have a small amount of all of his medicine in various places…including the glove box of his truck, his coat, at work, at home and in a travel kit. He doesn’t fill up all of these places, but when organizing his medication for the week he puts it where he might need it.

I’ve seen him forget it sooo many times (i’m a major ADHD sufferer, so I can empathize) and ended up having to leave work to go get it for him. It just sucks when we are out in the middle of the wilderness (I live in Labrador, where it’s all wilderness LOL) and it takes over an hour to get back into town.

I’m not sure if you are able to divide your medication that way, but it’s something that helped him. It’s just easy to forget to restock these supplies LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m lucky now, because I’m on insulin pump therapy wich means I have a lot less to carry around/forget. My insulin is now attached to my body as opposed to being in some handbag or pouch that I can easily put down and never see again. Right now my best tool for not forgetting things is my wife. She asks me about the things I might forget before we leave any place which means I forget a lot less.

For me the scariest thing is those moments when I can’t remember if I took my insulin before eating or not. Things become so formulaic that it sometimes just doesn’t even register that I might have skipped a step in the process. What this means is that I might eat something and not take insulin (dangerous because my blood sugar will skyrocket without anything to regulate it), or I might eat something and take my insulin twice (dangerous because my blood sugar will plummet and I won’t have a parachute to save me).

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)