Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Pregnant with ADHD

Pregnant with ADHD2013-12-26T13:53:46+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Pregnant with ADHD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mbadd

Hi
    I am 24 weeks pregnant! This is a much wanted, planned for pregnancy. I have continued taking my Vyvanse, after much research and thought, and discussions with Motherrisk and one of the pediatricians who is also a pharmacologist. Frankly, I just don’t cope well with life when I don’t take my meds.
    However, since being pregnant, there are times when it feels like I haven’t taken my meds at all, even though I know that I have. I am forgetful, disorganized, have NO filter between my brain and my mouth, I am losing things, etc. I know that my ADHD is always worse during my PMS week (try finding out anything about THAT in the ADHD research), but I didn’t translate that in my head to it being worse all through pregnancy.
    I currently take 90 mg of Vyvanse daily. I also take 40 mg of citralopram for anxiety, and I take some asthma meds. My cardiovascualr health is fine – in fact, my blood pressure runs a bit low.
    I took a methylphenidate one day (10 mg), in addition to my Vyvanse, and felt way better for about 4 hours, but crashed big time when the methylphen wore off. I am not sure if i was just a lot less sleepy, or functioning better, but it sure felt like I was functioning better.
    I would really appreciate any suggestions. (I am a pediatrician, and sort of need to have my wits about me at work!)

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@mbadd

Sorry you haven’t gotten any replies to your question. I think everyone is busy with their holiday celebrations.

I can’t really give you much advice since I have never been pregnant and only just started taking 20mg of Vyvanse. I can definitely relate to the worsening symptoms during that PMS week. I used to wonder why it was that I seemed to get so dopey and forgetful when that didn’t seem to really be a symptom of PMS. At one time I thought it was because I needed more iron but blood tests showed that I didn’t.

I can imagine from how bad that PMS week is that pregnancy must really be making your symptoms worse. The only thing I can say is make sure you are getting enough rest and eating properly and try to take it easy as much as you can. But you already know all that. Is there any way you can cut back on your work load a little?

i think I had something else to say when I started this but I’m too distracted right now and I can’t remember.

REPORT ABUSE

angelicdemon

I also have never been pregnant before but I do also take Vyvanse 50mg.Then i take sequel xr 50mg for my anxiety and if i don’t take it at 5pm every day i cant sleep at all and end up staying up for 24hrs.Then i also have asthma and the meds that the doctor tells u to take.YES! the PMS is the worst i’ve always been worried about since i take vyvanse to help me keep my sleeping and everything else under control.Then having to go without it from being pregnant would even be possible.Just to me in my mind i’ve ended up just thinking i never want to ever get pregnant and have kids over that factor.Just i know if i ever wanted to have kids i would have to stop taking as much meds as possible ex the asthma ones because i’ve already had my asthma doctor yell at me for not taking them and telling me if i didnt when im 50yrs old i’ll have to use an oxygen tank.Anyways then also the worries about after having the baby trying to remember to take care of them,pick them up from stuff,ect.Just the thought scares the living daylights out of me to ever forget to do important things for any kids if i ever have any.I do know if u end up screwing up the times when u take ur vyvanse and u black out,forget,and later noticed u took that vyvanse as ur night med.It’s a horrible nightmare and u feel like ur blood veins r going to all burst in ur body,u become shaky,dizzy,and ur heart is racing like mad.Then u end up staying up all night which is even worse because of the fear of if u need to go to the hospital for that.Any ways,lol i know working out helps out MAJORLY! After working out i feel so much better and the level of needing to move and stuff goes down.Also helps making myself feel more tired at night.Im not sure if i’ve answered ur question or anything to well but i hope i’ve helped in some kind of way,lol.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

hi @angelicdemon, welcome.

I understand your concerns. I’ve had them all myself. But you don’t have to rule out having kids completely, if it’s something that you want. It is possible to stay on meds while you’re pregnant, though you may have to make some changes. And of you are preoared and you have the right kind of support from your partner and familky and friends you will be able to care for them. Lots of people with ADHD have children and do fine raising them.

Also, kids can withstand being forgotten the odd time now and then. It’s not that uncommon for any parent to forget to pick their kid up at school once in awhile. And you can prevent yourself from forgetting them at times when it’s really important.

I have given it a lot of thought and I think the key is to keep it simple. You would have to simplify your life as much as possible, cut out as many distractions and frustrations as possible, so that you can focus more on the important stuff. And use lots and lots of reminders. And, as I said, have a supportive partner and/or family.

REPORT ABUSE

dithl
    Participant

@mbadd, I wasn’t diagnosed when I had my children so both pregnancies were med-free. Exhaustion was an issue for me – intended to fall asleep at the typewriter after lunch (yes, typewriter. *sigh*). And crashed early in the evening.

Are there time of the day when you are more alert and “with it”? Can you schedule your more demanding work then?

Do you have someone at work you can debrief with throughout the day? Just quickly talking over your caseload could help you catch anything and keep you on track.

Nutrition and exercise. A little awkward telling a pediatrician to eat properly, but you never know, I guess anyone could overlook it and nutrition plays a huge role in ADHD. Protein at breakfast, frequent re-fueling throughout the day can help with symptoms. Any quick forms of exercise to get the heart pumping can help keep you alert and functioning cognitively.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

ellings4
    Participant

@mbadd
    This post is from a while ago so I wonder how it went and if you have any insight for someone in your shoes now?
    I haven’t yet found meds/dosage where the side effects weren’t terrible (I didn’t get diagnosed until last year) so it was an easy decision to stop trying to find something that works until later – but this is so much worse than normal untreated ADHD and I’m not sure I can make it 6 more months like this at my job. Maybe the second trimester is better? Do you (or anyone else) have any info or stories of how symptoms changed over the 9 months? It’s nice just to hear that others have done this. Thanks!!!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)