Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Question for ADD woman….

Question for ADD woman….2012-09-25T15:11:23+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Medication Question for ADD woman….

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

distractedmomma

I started the generic form of Strattera almost 2 weeks ago. At first, I felt positive effects, but suddenly they went away. I was feeling really lost (spacey) a few days ago and it hit me that I was probably due to start my menstrual cycle soon. Does a woman’s monthly hormonal fluctuations affect how well meds work? If so, do some increase their dose for that week or two?

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I haven’t noticed my cycle affecting my meds, but it certainly does affect my ADHD – I’m worse when I have PMT. It’s worth speaking to your doc in case it’s an unwanted side effect, since it may not be related.

REPORT ABUSE

distractedmomma

Maybe I should clarify…. PMS seems to decrease the effectiveness of my meds. I do not see an increase in unwanted side effects. I actually don’t have any side effects to complain about anymore :)

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

I don’t know that it effects how the medication itself works, but it can make the ADHD symptoms different. The medication does what it does, but if the symptoms are worse that day, the meds only go so far. Make sense? I’ve noticed an effect as I’m aging. Stress and exhaustion both make it worse, too. Really, though, the medication does what it does, but sometimes my ADHD just won’t be helped by my meds sometimes, depending on any other conditions (hormones, stress, insomnia) I may be experiencing at the time.

Although, it does make sense to me that meds may work differently depending on your water content, or metabolism, or how much you eat or drink, maybe. I dunno. Definitely ask your doc.

Thanks for posting, though. I’m thinking about going back on the pill. This post makes me wonder how those hormonal changes will influence my medication.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

I just met with my psychiatrist the other day and told her about increasing my anti depressant during my cycle. She told me that really does not produce a significant effect. They used to think it would but clinical trials showed it didn’t. However keeping meds consistent and the time time they are taken is more effective overall.

I have really noticed as I get older (45) my ADHD gets worse and PMS symptoms get more erratic. So I try to schedule less during that time if possible, Or if I have real important stuff going on then I let some of the little things like household chores take a bit of a back seat so I’m not trying to overload myself. I also get more forgetful and spacey.

Just another funny thing-

For the last couple of years I would notice that just before my cycle I would be convinced that my boyfriend didn’t like me. Mind you he never really changes his behavior except when I would call him all upset about why he didn’t like me. After tracking my moods for a few months I’ve managed to not go through that so much. I realized I would get really sensitive to comments and actions. And not just from him.

REPORT ABUSE

distractedmomma

LOL, well I’m definitely having hormonal fluctuations! A couple of days ago I spent most of the day crying on and off about almost anything. I would think about something only slightly sad and I would start bawling like it was the end! That’s when I decided to check where I was in my cycle….and voila! I found the explanation.

I’m going to have to try to make sure to get enough sleep, cut back on caffeine and start exercising regurly again to see if it helps some :)

I haven’t been on the meds long enough to know if it’s working the way it’s supposed to or not.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

My whole life goes haywire when I’m getting close to starting my period. Just thought I’d throw in a “me too.” It’s horrible. My impulsivity takes over. I’m much more liable to say silly stuff, buy things I can’t afford and don’t need, get angry and lash out, or enter into a horrible depression. It seems completely unstoppable. Like trying not to vomit.

PMS is my ADD nausea.

REPORT ABUSE

Misswho23

Ah yes the but things I can’t afford/don’t need. Definitely done that during PMS week.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)