Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Rate problems when speaking

Rate problems when speaking2012-02-04T00:14:40+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? ADHD/ADD in Adults Rate problems when speaking

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

TripPiper

Are there any techniques or solutions to speech problems? Such as talking too fast.

The speech in which I talk is preventing my from getting really paying jobs. Is seems nearly impossible to slow down or talk in the correct speed.

When talking to my mother is the only time I can get the speed right.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

Ditto here. I embarrass myself a lot tripping and stumbling over my words. I do a lot of starting one word and switching to another in the middle of it. I sound a lot like that character from, was it Looney Tunes, I think? I get so concerned with trying to say what I want to say correctly, that I do a lot of stumbling and starting then changing my mind in the middle of a sentence. It can be very hard to have patience to listen to me. I also patch two different phrases together sometimes. I’m a waitress, and this can be, well, both hysterical and disconcerting for the guests, depending on their sense of humor. But yes, I do the talking too fast thing. When I was diagnosed bipolar it was called the “pressured speech” aspect of that disorder. I can say outrageous, embarrassing things that are inappropriate, except I happen to work in an environment where it is a little more accepting. Not that I would ever want to work in a stuffy, conservative office, but I would like to acquire more for my life than working as a waitress. I’m intelligent, and I think I am capable of doing more with my brain than serve up green beans.

It’s funny, because even though I’ll pop off with something inappropriate, I’ll get embarrassed I said it. So people look at me strange when I say something and then turn red. It’s like, YOU said it, why are you getting embarrassed???

Lord. lol.

But YES, I also have the mama thing. She’s the only one I feel comfortable with enough to get my thoughts out with.

REPORT ABUSE

Irish10
    Participant

May I suggest that you check out Toastmasters? This organization has been around for a long time and has helped a countless number of people. I would suggest that you visit as many different clubs as you want in your city until you find one where there is a comfort level.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I also have this issue. I teach in a university and frequently get complaints about the speed of my lectures. It is really difficult for me to slow down. If I do, it’s like my brain and mouth are disconnected and I have no idea what I was going to say because the thought has gone before my mouth forms the words. So I make sure they all have good handouts to make up for ‘lost’ information.

But recently I have had to go abroad a lot and give talks to people whose first language isn’t English and slowing down enough for them to understand has been an enormous challenge. But I have perservered and it’s coming with practicem. I needed help from my colleagues to get the pace right though and I think I can judge it now. But it is hard.

Yesterday I told my class (at home) that I was going to try to slow down and just made a joke of it. Before hand I took my meds and forced myself to be really slow. I failed towards the end of the session but the first half was good, or at least better than usual. The students looked interested and could clearly keep up. So it’s worth practicing even if to us it sounds stupid and slow. Normally my eccentric style in class makes things a bit more lively but I think slowing down is more important.

So best advice I can give is to pretend you’re talking to a foreigner and you have to slow down.

REPORT ABUSE

doublel
    Participant

I need serious help with this issue….

I look like an idiot, and now of course that I have recognized it, I notice it more and maybe let it happen???

Sigh….I just want to speak fluently….

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Sorry, I can’t help you to not look like an idiot. I can probably help you to look like more of an idiot though. 😛 😉

I did the supersonic speech thing when I was a kid. I used to actually run out of breath, stop and gasp for air, then pick up where I left off. I think it’s one of the reasons they put me in speech therapy.

I can still do it sometimes when I am really wound up or when I am afraid the other person is going to cut me off before I have finished.

But mostly I’m the opposite now. It takes me forever to figure out what to say and I never seem to be able to get it out fast enough. I think this is mostly an anxiety issue though, the Deer Caught in the Headlights thing.

I think Scattybird’s advice is good. Practice like as if you are talking to someone who doesn’t speak English, or to a young child.  Get a friend or family member you feel comfortable with to help you by letting you know when you start too talk to fast.

And if that doesn’t work consider looking into speech therapy.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

It’s like your tongue is trying to keep up with your brain, isn’t it? If you’re like me, your handwriting is also pretty atrocious, because your hand is trying to keep up with your brain, too.

As for the best rate of speech, it depends on what your target audience is.

I took a Broadcasting course, and I worked so hard at slowing down my rate, pausing instead of saying “Um” and other filler-words, and being measured and authoritative.  All of which is great, if you’re determined to blend in better.

But then, I decided that Cartoon Voice-Work really was for me, because I’m a natural “character”. And I’ve had to UN-learn all the stuff I’d done to “blend in”!

My voice-coach is always telling me to “play it bigger” and “faster!!!” with my characters, because I tend to under-play them, as I’m trying to find the right balance between “exuberant” and “natural”.

But when she gives me a script for a really over-the-top character, I can just run on instinct and let my Inner-Child take over.

And, when I’m doing public speaking, I do a hybrid of “measured and authoritative” and my naturally exuberant self. The actual blend depends on the audience.

Just like ADHD itself, it’s situational!

REPORT ABUSE

doublel
    Participant

but shouldn’t the meds help with this sort of thing?  speech fluency?

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I tend to talk rather slow and rarely, but sometimes, scramble up what I’m saying as if I were a dyslexic trying to read aloud. Quite often, I won’t finish sentences because I lose interest or get bored with what I’m saying.

Lamborghini brain, horse and buggy tongue.  I hope I have done better with my writing.  With the computer that is.  I hate to use pen and paper and if I must, I almost always print.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Doublel, it would be great if meds could do that, but they can’t.

Meds aren’t a magic bullet. They’re more like training wheels on a bike. They’ll help keep you upright, but you still need to learn how to ride that bike yourself.

There are some videos about Medications here: http://totallyadd.com/?s=medication%27 . They explain a lot, in a way that even *I* can understand!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@doublel– As Larynxa said, the meds can only help so much. And even if they are helping to slow down your speech, you still have the learned behaviour to deal with. You are so used to talking fast that you will keep talking fast, until you learn  not to.

I hope that makes sense. It’s early and I’m tired and I’m only halfway through my first cup of coffee.

@kc5jck– Lamborghini brain, horse and buggy mouth is my problem exactly. My brother used to laugh at me when we were kids and say “make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth”. But it’s actually the other way around.

The same thing happens when I am writing or typing. I skip letters, or words, sometimes whole lines, and get things all jumbled up because my brain is ahead of where my fingers are. I’m not as bad as I used to be. But I still edit everything, then read it again, then edit it again, then still find something that I missed when I read it later.

REPORT ABUSE

wanderquest

I’m terrible at regulating the speed of my speech, especially if I’m nervous or excited. In college when I had to give presentations I’d take a shot of vodka before class to slow me down to a reasonable speed. Probably the first thing I ever self-medicated for.

I also have atrocious handwriting, I had to take extra penmanship with all the left-handed kids. Eventually everyone figured out that cursive just wasn’t for me and I have exclusively printed since around 7th grade.

And I still start words in the middle and have to go back and fill in the first few letters quite frequently.

REPORT ABUSE

greentree
    Participant

Well this is all interesting talk when one can relate so well to the comments. I have times when I talk very very fast usually when im excited, but just the other day I refered to myself as Elvis in an office environment turning up for an app for our government  job search organization.  My name sounds  much like Elvis but isnt and to help the elderly people I look after at work to remember ,Iv told them ill answer to Elvis .Many have degrees of dementia. So thus my brain confusion. Much to the ladies astonishment each time I went to correct it , it hapened once more, looking at my husband trying for the last time, instead trying ,to use my daughters name. My husband eventually said youd better stop, ill talk , as we laughed the lady was on the outside looking in on something she was not even going to try and understand. Her face was blank unknowing just what to do or say . Im sure she thought I was high or something. Having worked with special needs chn for many years who more often need proccesing time around the spoken word. I have had much experience having to slow , simplify and wait when it comes to speeking to and listening to others. I seem to have much patience in this areena. Maybe because I know what it is to have things be difficault. I often join the first half of one word to the lastvof the next when I speek. I do this when I write as well as spell. Some words missing leleters or there back to front , fine example of difunction just prior.My daughter used to have to read things back to front, backwards before she could read forwards. Poor thing. Often had to leave shops because of it. Thank god thats no more. I also make up words in conversation which sound really good. There adaptations of the english language that sound real so much so I think they are often. My husband says , my god your talking your own language again.He agrees often its good. O well thats my input. Sunshine days all.

REPORT ABUSE

greentree
    Participant

Ps : I have 3 brothers. One can only write in upper case lettering. The other writes side ways , quite extrodernary to watch. I can not write unless my papper is on a 45degree angle and my youngest brother has the messiest writting papper on an angle. He and I are ampidextrouse at some things. You should see him weld. His bosses are in astonishment two hands at once job done no lags. Thats weld talk for no mistakes. Interesting  info I thought anyone else like this?

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)