Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Re: Pastimes, hobbies, and downers

Re: Pastimes, hobbies, and downers2010-12-01T03:36:10+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Re: Pastimes, hobbies, and downers

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Geeb

Hockey, Yo-Yo’s (these are great for ADDers like us as you can take them anywhere and have something to do) Whittling, Soccer, Electronics, Computers, Reading, Writing, Photography, Backpacking… The list goes on and on. I’ll cycle through these about once a year maybe a little more for some of them, but I never seem to settle on just one thing completely.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i have a few hobbies. one of them is antique vehicles. i find that when i take up a hobby, it isn’t just a hobby. it is a passion. i wonder if this is typical with add or is it just one of those things.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Geeb how long have you been yoyoing? I hyper focused on yoyoing for 7 years, not picking up another single hobby outside of the skill toy relm. Kind of ruined my life at the time. I wasnt diagnosed and had no idea.

Yeah on hobbies I have a ton, I tend to cycle though them, I cant recall how long I’ll do one or the other. Yo Yoing, and photography take up most of my time. Not driving is nice cause you can walk everywhere, wait that isnt part of what we’re talking about.

Hobbies, yeah lots of um.

desoto, yes passion is a good way of saying it.

Ummm yeah I still get up despite having a lot of hobbies not motivated to do anything. Almost like everything bores me. Well it does. i can yoyo for like 5 minutes or so, enough time to practice a couple of tricks and get a knot.

I like to walk a lot when i dont feel good like enough to do anything. Walking is good.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I shuffle through things as well and come back to them later. Like I need a vacation from my hobbies sometimes. I love to read and watch flicks. I also love museums whenever I’m in NYC.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sewing, crocheting, photography, writing, make up, fitness (that was a good one, I lost 30 pounds), tarot, gardening, home design, cloth diapering & baby wearing, bargain shopping, animal rescue…

I cycled through all these things (and more) with a terrifying amount of focus and passion- and then, with each one, I woke up one day and said, “I don’t want to do that any more.”

It’s been extremely expensive.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hobby talk eh…….I’m in!!!! Nope…can’t say I hop around folks…….sorry. I have been interested in the same things since I was a small child actually. I am an avid hotrodder, as I said, I have had a keen interest in these things for ever. I built my own hotrod, I drive it all summer long. I’m also a bike freak, I have five custom Harley’s in my shop, I built them all, I ride them all (I’m not good at selling, I like what I have), one is still on the bench in development. I’m also a music person….self taught lead guitar and harmonic player (now teaching myself piano) and have my own giging Blues Band still….. at 60 yrs old!!!. Woohooo So….nope I’m not a hop around person, nor an idle person. I worked to live….. never lived to work!!!!

I do however, investigate other avenues of a more casual interest, many actually ……those I pick up, learn, read, and educate myself and maybe put them down ……some come back around….some do not. If it interests me I usually dabble in it and see where it goes. My real interests stay as constant as a rock!!!

Art comes and goes…. I guess I’m quite good at it (not my words)…. but I only draw every god knows how many years, and then the picture is done….. I’m done with it until the spirit moves me again….that’s ok too. If my partner wouldn’t frame them I’d probably throw them away….. been there done that!!!!

Anyway that’s hobbies for me…… I guess it’s an alternate view……. I don’t know that it means a damn thing really…. it’s just who i am and what I do.

Fun to share….

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a lot of hobbies too. I crave new experiences, even if it is only through reading and learning about new things. I can’t seem to quench my curiosity about everything. When I get excited about something new, I will focus on preparing and assembling or collecting all the necessary tools, items, pieces, parts, and stuff. For instance, I have suddenly become interested in building a cigar box guitar (after seeing one on antiques road show) and have purchased not one but three great cigar boxes, all the electronics, strings, maple for the neck, some new tools, etc. So when will I put it all together and play them? Well……I can’t be certain. I have four guitars, a ukulele and half a dozen harmonicas that I can’t seem to maintain a steady interest in.

I love to read but almost dread coming across something that piques my curiosity because off I’ll go on a new adventure. So, the question is, “what shall I do this weekend? Go mountain biking? hiking? play guitar? build one? work on a new stained glass project? or perhaps I should finish that wood carving? And oh, yeah….those new curtains upstairs….need to hang those (after I finish that polymer clay sculpture I started a couple months back….or well, maybe I should finish writing thank-you notes from Christmas…..sigh)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t have much in the way of what most people consider hobbies, but I do like to jump around in the creative part of my life, I get bored doing the same things over & over agian. I don’t see any thing wrong with that, I love talking to creative poeple and learning about their latest project, what ever it may be. My hobby became my profession, I can’t emagine any thing better than doing what I love every day, I think wanting to exsperiance new things what ever it may be is sign of a creative mind. It is only a problem when the jumping from one project to another when that becomes a way of avoiding following through, I have been guilty of that, so I watch for it & try to avoid doing it.

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

Ah, hobbies! So many to start, so few to continue after 2 weeks! I will never purchase (fill in hobby name here) lessons more than 4 weeks in advance… Have gone AWOL usually after the first 3!

I really enjoy running. My mind does go into overdrive, usually coming up with the next greatest ideas for work… With music keeping me going! Am a bit better after I get that energy out.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

YES to many interests. My parents refused some as they thought I would only lose interest after a short period of time.

My ADD husband is the same, but he will spend weeks and hours buying all of the gear he needs (expensive) and research books and videos, and then lose interest after a few weeks when he discovers he’s not very good at it (he can’t get past that part, it always takes time and effort to improve). So far the interests have been philosophy (although he did get a BA in that), photography, art, Buddhist philosophy, etc. At least he cycles back through them from time to time, but it drives me crazy that he stops suddenly and completely loses interest. I think part of that is some depression, which I don’t have and can’t really relate to.

Like ADHDORNUTS, my hobby is now my profession, and I’m loving it!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand about things not turning out the way you want them to leading to frustration and depression. Oddly enough, I think the treatment I’ve been getting has been making it a little easier to accept that things don’t have to be perfect. I still lose control of my emotions over little things like when my wife reprimands me for not setting the dishwasher when it was clearly full. I really wish I could get a handle on that.

I like to draw in my spare time but whenever that time arrives (even on the rare occasions when I know what I’m going to draw) I cannot seem to put pen to paper. It’s like there’s a forecefield or something. I’m also addicted to games. I have stacks and stacks of board games that I can’t play because there’s no one to play them with. How pathetic is that?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i can get the weekend blues too. i find it very qhelpful to pre plan those days with fun thing to give me ..otivation to wake and get going with my day. i dont have a lot of internal motivation. i need outside stimulation to keep me interested and energetic. i have long history of depressive episodes (although i am usually energetic and not depressed). but the weekend blues in which i dont have motivation is a constant phenomenon

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a good strategy, sugargremlin. I know I’ve used it but there are times when I run out of steam before the day is over. I still know there’s things to do, but can’t bring myself to do them. I’m sure depression has a role.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)