Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Read any good books lately?

Read any good books lately?2014-05-01T10:07:15+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Other Read any good books lately?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

shutterbug55
    Participant

I was talking with someone I know from church who asked me if I had read any good books lately. So I told them about the 8 or 10 books I am reading right now and why I thought they were important to me.

Reading in general is important to me, because it is so difficult. Having dyslexia makes it difficult to recognize the symbols on the page as words, ADD makes it difficult to assemble the words into a meaningful sentence, and autism kills my reading comprehension.  I read because it is difficult and I am not very good at it.

Among other things, I like to read about history, so I started reading “Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire” by E. Gibbon. It is a REALLY dry book, but packed with information about the Romans and some of the other civilized and not so civilized nations around them. I started that as research for a story idea I had.

I am also reading one of the Dragon riders of Pern stories for fun.

So! Read any good books lately?

REPORT ABUSE

That Guy with ADHD
    Participant

I have to say that I admire your drive to read “Because” it is difficult.  For me I have only read a handful of books for pleasure.  I have the same problems as you regarding reading and comprehension.  Normally I can only read things for about 15 minutes unless I find the right book in which case I can hyper focus on it.  I first noticed that while reading “Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh” as a kid.  I couldn’t put it down.  And I also enjoyed the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” and “Hamish X” books.  I do tend to enjoy reading authors who have a quirky sense of homour.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)