Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Reading

Reading2012-02-22T02:52:48+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace School Reading

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

How do you read fast? Is it only me but when I need to actually pay attention to what i’m reading I read super slow. What art tho secrets of fast reading and obtaining the knowledge to remember what you read for 2 or 4 days later? It would be great help if you told me your secrets of fast reading :)

Taylor

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Think ahead of time – why are you reading this? What information are you trying to gain from the reading? Then perhaps you can skim over certain things and read slowly and carefully the part that is important to you. Also, you will be less likely to become bored and stop paying attention to what you are reading.

Sometimes I read several pages, and realize I have no idea what I read. I was only reading the words aloud to myself, but not paying the least attention to the meaning.

For example, with a newspaper article, there should be a who, what, where, why and when. You can skim straight to those parts and understand the article without having to read every word.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I tend to have the same problem. My eyes will scan through the pages line by line, but it’s as if the information didn’t get past the eye, so I have to start over. Especially if the material is not interesting. If I do a lot of reading and it is interesting, then I will build up speed. I find also that if I go back and read something a second time that I remember most of what I read. Hi Liters might also be an option for helping you remember key information. Or make notes.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yup! When reading fast, I have the habit of skimming so I have to read things several times to actually understand what’s being said because I might have missed something important. I don’t mind usually mind, but it’s time-consuming.

A good tip is to focus and read slow if what you’re reading is something important. Reading it slowly once is way better than reading it fast several times. Might be more difficult and exhausting though.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

Reading? I have Dyslexia and ADD. That means the words and letters are wiggling and dancing across the page in ways that would make a Hula dancer jealous!

I read slowly. One letter at a time. If I can remember the word that I was forming in my head, I plug that into the sentence I was working on, if I can’t remember the sentence or the word… I start over. Reading for me is a lot of work, and I do it as a last resort. The whole idea of reading for pleasure sounds insane to me.

It takes huge amounts of concentration for me, and a half hour of reading leaves me exhausted.

My “Non-Advise” advise? I don’t worry about how fast I read, I worry about how much I RETAIN

. Retention to me means I don’t have to re-read something over and over again.

To me, it seems like I spend more time doing something, forgetting what I was doing, and doing it again, and again, and again… and again. My challenge is cutting down the rework. It will be great if I can do that.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

If the books are available in e-book form, and you have an e-reader that lets you change the typeface and size, you’ll find it much easier to absorb what you’re reading, if you change to a sans-serif font, fairly large, so there aren’t too many words on the screen at once.

This has been a huge help to me, when I’m narrating e-books in my little home studio. Plus, an e-reader doesn’t make a crinkly noise, as paper printouts do!

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

http://www.gutenberg.org/

has public domain books and literature available for free in the form of

free ebooks

downloadable text

audio files

If you don’t like to read, download the audio and listen. I’ve occasionally listened to the audio at night in bed…sorta like a bedtime story.

Yet another random posting brought to you by Kc5jck. (hey, it’s free)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are many ugly questions that one should periodically ask themselves throughout the reading process. By doing so, it helps one synthesize the information. Its all part of the reading process that we teachers have toteach`children to employ while reading. It can turn reading into a chore for many children.

As teachers, many of us are being forced to drill children in a gazillion and one questions to ask and answer while they read- anything from the wrapper on a chocolate bar to a simple picture book.

Unfortunately, it has turned many children into ones who hate to read. Once upon a time, they were allowed to read for enjoyment. Now we`re forced to make them read, analyze, and disect everything they read. No enjoyment allowed. *sigh*

My class now groans when they hear me say that I`m going to read them a story or they are going to read a new story. They are anticipating with dread all the analysis they will have to do.

I know this hasn`t helped you with your question but I had to get it off my chest.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

my problem is that i have a deadline to read this book, and i read slow when I want to know what i’m reading because at the deadline i have to write a book report. Sadly this book is really long and thick so i’m not even half way through the book and I need to finish the book by next thursday :/

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

What is the book? Could you get an audiobook version from your library? If you were to listen and take notes, that might help you retain the information at a faster pace (although I must point out I’ve never tried it myself – this is just a random idea). Or you could just follow along with the text as you listen.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I typed in “bookreports.com” and got some interesting site links, some of which may be useful to you.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)