Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Really could use some insight on med situation

Really could use some insight on med situation2014-01-10T13:26:34+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Really could use some insight on med situation

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

sar316

Hey Guys,

I have upped my Concerta after over a year of 36 to 54mg. I have switched about a month ago over the holidays so that I would be use to the new dose once university classes started up again. I didn’t notice much of a difference over the break.

When I had returned to classes, assignments and routine I had the most fantastic, productive and encouraging start of the week that I have EVER had. I could easily work from 730-430 with very little distraction time. I not only wasn’t bothered by my usual distractions, but I was actually going out of my way to avoid them because I was so into staying on top of my stuff. I was actually annoyed when I would get pulled out of my ‘groove’ for unnecessary things.

But now it is Friday. I feel as though I haven’t taken my meds in the last 2 days. Worse today then yesterday. My mind wanders, I can’t pay attention in class, I have absolutely no desire to work on assignments, I simply don’t care about the important meetings I have today, the mental cob-webs are back in full force and this is really concerning to me.

I have now experienced what it is like to be on top of my stuff. I now know what it is like to be fully engaged in even the most boring of lectures and this is torture. I open my books and stare at the pages, I will read the same paragraph for 10 minutes before I give up. I try to work on my papers and my word recall is worse than ever, my speech is more embarrassing than usual leaving and I can’t think straight leaving me both concerned and frustrated.

I am really hoping that I just need a weekend to refresh as I have never been able to work so productively for so long. After reading this over it reads as a 3 day straight hyper-focus extravaganza. But now feeling as though I haven’t taken my meds, at all. What is that about!?! Has my dopamine decided it is now over worked and has taken a leave?

Do you guys have any suggestions as to whats going on, how I can get back on to the conscious train and ideas for solutions?

Thanks a ton!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I have no experience with Concerta, so I have a couple questions for you.

Did you get bored with the subject matter you are working on this week? Is there something you would rather be doing?

REPORT ABUSE

sar316

I think I have maintained a consistent level of interest so I’m not sure board with it is the right descriptor. I feel that even if I’m super interested in something finding the brain space to deal with more information or to simply make sense of it is severely lacking. It feels like the energy required to maintain simply at a cognitive functional level is a struggle not let alone the mental energy required to learn and expand ideas.

I don’t think there is other things I would rather be doing. I have gotten a taste of what is like to be studious and driven to get things accomplished. Try as I might over the last few days it seems to have simply left. The drive my brain had earlier this week is just gone no matter how much i try to convince it otherwise.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I don’t have any experience with Concerta either so I can’t answer any medication specific questions.

However, it could be that you experienced a slight “high”, which is normal when starting a new medication or increasing the dosage, and now you are levelling out. Also, it could be you just need a break, like you said. Pace yourself and don’t try to focus quite so hard for a few days. Give your brain a break. Then see how you do after that. You may just need a little longer to adjust. And you may also have experienced a natural decline in your dopamine levels for whatever reason. We all have good days and bad days.

i understand your frustration because I am in a similar situation right now. I felt like I was really on top of things before the holidays but now I just feel drained and I can’t seem to get my “to-do” list done or even get started on it most days. Some days I forget that I have a list. It is sad to see all my headway slowly being lost and everything descending into chaos once more.

REPORT ABUSE

sar316

Thanks for the suggestions. I have taken a few days off and it seems to have really helped.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)