Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Really need some advice; dosage & alternatives

Really need some advice; dosage & alternatives2011-10-13T04:03:09+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Adderall XR Really need some advice; dosage & alternatives

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, my ADD is pretty strong, especially since it’s combined with Bipolar 2 and Borderline Personality Disorder. I’m not comparing it to other people, I’m merely trying to explain the situation. The ADD is strong enough that for a few years, doctors thought I had a form of narcolepsy. I’ve been on Adderall for several years now, and over time my doctors moved my dosage up from 25 mgs a day to 75 mgs a day. I know that 75 mgs is a very high dose, but unfortunately I’ve been on it long enough that it has significantly stopped supporting me in the same way. I barely have energy anymore and I have an extremely hard time focusing. I’m a senior at a very competitive college, and I desperately need to be able to function the same way I use to when my system was still new to the Adderall. I’m not posting this as a plea for attention, I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it and get back to the normal flow of things.

REPORT ABUSE

resipsa

SammieGlow, I am 52 y.o. and am also on Adderall, 60 mg/day (30 mg immediate release tab). My ADD was diagnosed in childhood. I had to smile at your narcolepsy comment because it does not matter how much I sleep, I am ALWAYS sleepy. I have for some time wondered if the “ADD” is in fact just a manifestation of poor sleep as I frequently feel like I am in a severe brain fog (imagine chopping 30 points off your IQ and having your memory working at the same level as a goldfish). Anyway … Adderall does not give me the same “wake up” kick as dexedrine did but the Adderall does seem to help more with the executive function aspect of the ADD. Just for me to feel like I am on a level playing field, I need to get 8 – 10 hours sleep AND the stimulants. Hope this helps.

REPORT ABUSE

powcat

Hi Sammie! I’ve got BPD “traits” is what they say, on top of my ADD. I’ve been on a good combination of Wellbutrin, Celexa, and Concerta for almost a year.

Currently though I’m experiencing a really bad bout of depression that started maybe 2 months ago, so I’m looking for help myself. Don’t think I can give much advice but I thought it would help you to know that I’m out here, just as it helps me to know about you – though I certainly don’t wish this pain on anybody!

This episode was triggered by a breakup and now I’m obsessed with the poor guy, it is seriously out of control. I suppose it could be worse still, but it’s too out of control for my liking (and his). It’s really effing tough, and it’s pretty much impossible to expect any sympathy from anyone except my closest friends who know me. Even counselors don’t always get it.

I’m actually fine with the slow and sad depression. But when I’m experiencing the BPD symptoms, it’s like this totally anxious, frustrating, desperate kind of depression and it’s next to IMPOSSIBLE at its worst.

Tell me about what you’re going through.

For a couple of months I didn’t have any money, now my student loan has finally come through (I’m also in my final year at university!) and so yesterday I just bought myself a whole bunch of stuff. Pyjamas, tea, nice soap, a book of poetry, a new whiteboard… Did make me happy, actually! Be careful though, because it’s tough to curb the shopping once you get going. ;)

REPORT ABUSE

powcat

Also I’m seeing my counselor today who’s supposed to start DBT with me. And at the hospital yesterday (overdosed last week) they gave me a script for 2 other meds to take the edge off and I’ll pick those up today. Will keep you posted? Didn’t go to class though, bleh.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Instead of depending upon the drugs I would suggest you to try some home remedies for ADD and ADHD . They can be a great natural alternative if you want to adopt.

California Poppy or Eschscholtzia californica is very effective on ADD.

It is a gentle sedative that relieves psychological and emotional disturbances in kids. Soothes and balances an overactive nervous system.

California poppy is one of the oldest North American natural remedy for numerous health conditions.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been taking generic adderall xr for a month, gradually going from 10 to 20 to 30 mgs a day. I have seen no benefits. Now i’ve gone without for a couple days due to a snafu with the doctor’s office, and don’t see much from not taking either. Is it likely I’d benefit from a larger dose or should I just try some other med. I tried Ritalin, but it didn’t seem to do anything at all either.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)