Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Recent college grad so overwhelmed by job search — advice?

Recent college grad so overwhelmed by job search — advice?2012-04-01T23:44:53+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Recent college grad so overwhelmed by job search — advice?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

I graduated from college not quite a year ago, and I’m still unemployed and living with my parents. I have a part-time job as a babysitter, so I’m not starving to death, but I’m barely scraping by paying for gas and groceries. I really want to move out of my hometown and find a “real” job, but my distractability/lack of focus/lack of self-confidence is like an ENORMOUS WALL blocking me from moving forward.

I finally got my ADHD diagnosis about six months ago (yeah…six months after graduating from college…that sucked) and I understand myself a lot more now. I think that, if I were to get a “real”, grown-up job, I’d be able to succeed in it. But my life right now has basically no external structure, and it’s so freaking hard to get myself together to apply for a better job. Especially because, as a fresh college grad in this economy, I know it’s going to probably take me MONTHS to find a real job. The idea of me coming up with the self-discipline to spend several hours a day for 3-4 months consistently putting effort into a project with no firm deadlines, structure, or accountability? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Hysterical. Pull the other one, it’s got bells on.

I’m working with a psychiatrist to find a medication approach that works for me, I’m trying to force some structure onto myself, I’ve asked me friends to help hold me accountable to my schedule…but I just don’t write the applications. I just feel so overwhelmed by the whole process that I can’t even start working on it.

I hope that all makes sense. How does everyone else deal with this? Any advice? Or anyone else out there want to commiserate?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

I know exactly what you’re talking about. Trying to launch a career with ADD can be like trying to skate on gravel. BUT… you have a tremendous advantage over many of us—you were diagnosed early, before ADD had a chance potentially to sabotage your life and/or career.

Two things come to mind: 1) cast about for something in a field you’re passionate about (everybody finds it easier to do things that interest/excite them, but ADDers find it practically impossible to do anything they don’t find interesting). 2) if 1. isn’t possible or practical—and often it’s not—see if you can find a med that’ll help you settle down and focus. A little bit of success pays huge dividends; your day-to-day efficiency will improve and with it, your attitude and self-esteem. Confidence begets productivity, just as productivity begets confidence. It’s a virtuous circle. You’ve just got to prime the pump. See if your doc can prescribe something that helps. Then see where you are and get back in touch.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

I’m am in the same boat as you are mollymolly. It is hard and I can’t seem to find anything. Yet, people are telling me that what I am looking for is smart and there are many jobs. They haven’t done job searches then, because it is hard.

A friend of mine is starting a tailoring business she knows I enjoy knitting and coming up with ideas and offered me a job when she starts it. She is busy ordering everything. This for me is a short time job, but I really want to do something outside with kids, adults, and nature. So hence, my naturalist certification program that I am working on.

REPORT ABUSE

Cyclone

Hi mollymolly,

Do you mind telling us what you studied in college and where you wanted your education to take you? In addition, what is it you like doing? Do you have any hobbies, is there anything you’re passionate about? What is it that you can’t stop yourself from talking about when out with friends?

The best, and probably most consistent advice on finding a career is to look to what you love. Certainly the best job is one that you look forward to every day, because you’re passionate. As an ADDult you might also look for something that has continuous variety.

If it’s any consolation, everyone has diffuculty finding their career, and I can guarantee what you will end up doing, and loving, will be completely unexpected. I’m not diminishing your struggle by any means, but don’t look at your ADD as a disability. Having ADD adds additional (ADDitional :-) ) challenges, but it also has it’s advantages. Knowing you have ADD will be a major help.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

@Molly:

When I am looking for a job, which is very often, because of my ADD, I look around at the things I like to do. I like solving problems, I like working on computers, I like working with people, I like starting programs(company organizations, not software), I like writing programs(software, not company policy) ;)

Once I have my list of things I like to do, I look for the jobs out there that hit the most items I like. I talk to my friends who are employed to see if they have connections into the companies I am looking at.

For me, when I am looking at a huge brick wall of a problem, I start taking the wall apart one brick at a time. First I make my contacts. Next I polish my resume, and so on. That way I don’t see the brick wall, I see the bricks. And they aren’t so bad.

Hope this helps.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

mollymolly,

I am long since graduated from university. My diagnosis came 25 years after graduating

(Nov 2011).

My advice would be to list your short term and longer term goals. At the top of the short term

list should be working with your psychiatrist to get your medication adjusted.

If you have access to a counselor/therapist to work on some issues you may have as

a result of your ADHD. An ADD coach would be probably the best investment you could

make in helping you organize yourself, support job search and develop skills to manage

your ADD.

These first few steps I mentioned will not only help your job search but help you as you

move forward in life (work and personal)

The future is yours for the taking!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The first step is to do an inventory of your strengths.

Start here:

http://totallyadd.com/your-personal-strengths/

Your job is to get a job and take it seriously. Simple rule- 100 resume drop offs, 10 interviews, 2 call backs, 1 job. If you haven’t pounded out 100 resumes out there and made diligence in calling back to ensure that the person who needs to know, knows you exist, then the job will not appear.

But the real battle is fighting off your feelings of rejection at hearing “no”. Do not personalize this. They don’t reject YOU. You and they were not right for each other. Maybe a coach can encourage you to keep on the path by giving you a pep talk but you still have to get out there. No doubt, medication adjustment can break this apart but you still have to make the commitment.

Your job each day is to get a job. And smile, chin up and walk tall…..you will feel a lot better.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Yesterday my daughter posted “I’m graduating and looking for a job, keep me in mind,” on her Facebook page. In about an hour, the friend of one of her friends contacted her, “I find people jobs.” 75% of hirings happen because someone knows someone. “She’s good.” The biggest trick, and it takes some nerve, is simply to tell everyone you know. Especially if you have friends, or parents of friends, or relatives, who are well connected. And it doesn’t have to be connected in business. That grandmother who is involved in all those charities probably knows hundreds of influential people.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

By the way, Mollymolly, as someone who has managed to avoid getting a ‘real grown up job’, I would suggest those kind of positions are overrated and not necessarily designed for the ADHD/ADD mindset. It’s a lot less strain to find a square hole rather than try to hammer that square peg into the round hole. Even better? Create your own ‘square hole.’ There’s no simple answer here, but the internet and the global economy means everything is shifting. There are whole new fields opening up that didn’t exist five years ago. But it takes some imagination and some audacity to imagine and invent a ‘new career path.’ Trust me, it’s worth it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with Dr. J

It is important to know your strengths and make the commitment.

The ADD coach can also help initially in assisting with developing

a plan and keeping motivated.

The actual job search is based on your ability to get the resumes to

the companies to the right employers.

Rick brings up an excellent point which is to tap into your personal network.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t let ADD define you. You have many other qualities that are valuable, you just need to be in the right position for others to see that. The fact that you graduated from collage is a HUGE bonus that will set you apart from others in the work field. The best jobs I have found have all come from applying to a temp service. You get to try a lot of different things so you might find something you like that you wouldn’t have thought of before! I did have to do some manual labor at times but it was optional in the application. I needed the money though and the physical work was a nice break from “brain work” in a way. Some of the companies that hire folks from a temp service are actually looking to fill permanet positions but find it easier to narrow down the search for good prospects if they go through a temp service. I have gotten three very good full-time jobs this way. One company was just starting out and trained me to be a loan processor and secretary. I am also becoming interested in working with children who have special educational needs (I have 2 kids with ADD symptoms, although undiagnosed). It seems like I “get” where these kinds of kids are coming from and at have a way with them that some adults don’t! I have started to wonder if there aren’t more jobs out there where I could be of value in a world where ADD is on the rise. Maybe you could become a tutor and help kids who are struggling in school. Tutors for kids in my area earn $40 an hour. It could be an excellent part-time job that would have a lot of flexibility. Helping kids is a big self confidence booster and they could use a good role model who has actually graduated from college. Just something to think on.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, It is not need to worry about it. I am also a recently passed out from the collage and complete my bachelor degree and was looking for the job over us, uk then I have found jobofmine where is I found the best job for me I think it’s work for you too.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

I didn’t even finish high school, and when I eventually went to uni as a mature age student I barely endured two semesters! It was so bloody boring, and the pretentiousness nauseated me….

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)