Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Returning to the workforce after 18 year absence

Returning to the workforce after 18 year absence2011-04-13T16:55:33+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Struggling Returning to the workforce after 18 year absence

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lindstr7

Now that I have this ADD thing somewhat under control, I feel more confident about going back to work. I’m going to lose my income when my child turns 18, which is August of next year. I worked as a grants manager in ’93 and I know enough Word to type letters, etc., but does anyone have any suggestions about where to start? Should I go back to school? Should I go to a temp agency? I don’t even know what they use in offices anymore besides MS Office Suite, or what is most in demand these days.

Whenever I tried to send out resumes, with my work history, I never even got a response. I’m guessing its because I’ve had no actual work experience since 1993, and I never managed to finish a degree, so kids half my age are given more consideration than me (i’m 50). I did do some mystery shopping in the last few years, but its an enourmous amount of paperwork for very little reward and it looks pretty lame on a resume so I leave it out.

Some of you here seem to have pretty good jobs and college degrees, even with ADD. Can anyone offer suggestions or share their experience in returning to work after such a long absence. Do I even stand a chance? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

You don’t mention where you live, and I think that’s very relevant. Are there agencies in your community that can help you transition back in to the workforce?

I haven’t had a salaried job since 1996 so I understand your concerns. I’m inferring that you’re getting child support; maybe you can get the order revised to keep getting money as long as your child is in school? My son is 21 and I still get a little for him (about half what I should be getting under the federal guidelines but I don’t have the resources to take the bum back to court :-S ).

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Thanks buxom, I live in Seattle now but will be returning to San Francisco this summer. I don’t know of any agencies for this type of thing. There is a “Women in Transition” program at the college near me but its for women returning to college. Revising my child support is probably not an option at this point. I guess I just would like some tips from women who have gone through this, I’m just at a loss as to where/how I should start.

REPORT ABUSE

BuxomDiva
    Participant

so you’ll be looking for work in the SF area then? I have a friend who used to live there – have you lived in CA before? do you have a support system there at all? I have been incredibly lucky to have a lot of support from my mom, who is a retired teacher – if not for her I’m sure I’d have been living in a bus shelter for the last 20 years!

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Thanks, yes in San Francisco. I don’t have family there, just my ex (erg) and a few acquaintences. I was having a bad day the other day, so was just venting mostly. I’m teaching myself MS office suite with the Microsoft online training, so that should at least give me some basic skills to offer. My confidence gets stronger each day (meds are really helping!) and forming a clear path to move forward in my mind at least. Just gotta stay positive and show ’em what I can do I guess. Thanks for your responses.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)