Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

scared/afraid of confrontation….

scared/afraid of confrontation….2010-12-16T14:36:24+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace The Law/Employment scared/afraid of confrontation….

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

billd

We’ll just say in my job, I get to “know some things”. I deal with computer/network security, monitoring, logging, firewalls, antivirus, and use a lot of logging and monitoring tools, and know a bit about computer forensics.

I’ve recently found out, well, there’s a ton of computer abuses. Some violations that could result in either reprimands or terminations.

To be fair, I was asked to check all of the IT staff as well, and include myself and others in other departments to prove we weren’t picking on anyone (union shop)

In the process, I found some severe, very severe violations in our own area.

The first folks are getting reprimands, and are in some serious trouble – luckily all I had to do was pass my info along, they are dealing with it.

However, this other info – the boss simple told those involved “please don’t do that” – in a meeting of ALL IT staff including 10 innocent folks who had to listen to that mild chewing.

In other words, nothing is being done in our own area where the violations are so severe, they not only violate our own policies, but policies much much higher up the ladder, including mis-use of equipment, security violations, etc.

I SO want to go to the top and let them know what’s going on and how unfair I think it is that one department has folks whose jobs are on the line, where in our own area, it wasn’t really even a slap on the wrist, just a reminder to ALL staff, please don’t do that.

But I’m scared #$%less as they’d say – my hands are trembling even now……….

I can’t deal with confrontation at work, disagreements or arguing, or if I do say something having to DOCUMENT and PROVE it.

Oh, I can, trust me I can, but, well, we know ADD and documentation and finishing something…….

(I’ve even exported and included my OWN logs to show I’m not against myself being checked to prove I’m not just trying to pick on others.)

How do other AD/HD folks handle these things? Just keep quiet and hide in their cubes or offices?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

From the way you’ve described things, it seems to me that ultimately it depends on how strong a conscience you have. It looks to me like your ADD is somewhat on the periphery, I think it comes down to you answering this question – am I prepared to live with the consequences of my actions? If you are, then you’ll know what to do. If not, then keep quiet and ride it out. Please don’t think I’m trying to tell you what to do, this is only general advice from someone with ADD himself. Only you know what to do.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

This is how the test on this site summarizes me and it’s probably pretty close:

>>you’re NOT the extroverted, impulsive or restless individual. You are more the introverted, shy and quiet, albeit scattered one.<<

I just want to make sure – if I do go to upper management (and bypass the boss) am I doing it for the right reasons, or is it some “revenge” thing??

I can’t see the logic of writing some up, maybe even them getting punished or fired, while others get a message in a meeting with the whole staff – and one of them is doing far worse than the other set.

In meetings, I’m often quiet when asked to cover something I’ve found broken or wrong as I don’t want someone arguing or it to start some sort of quarrel, even thought I’m in the right and can prove it then and there.

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

just curious, but is there a way to anonymously submit the information to a higher up, without it coming back to you? like printing things up while wearing gloves, packing it all up in a nice neat envelope and mailing it to them?

i am the opposite of you, totally confrontational, impulsive, extroverted, and very restless… but i still know that i need my job and i know what it feels like to think you are doing the right thing (especially at work) and get bitten in the a55 for it. believe me i’ve gathered a lot of enemies doing this.

who was it that told you to look this information up? it sounds to me like there were suspicions of someone breaking that rule and they needed proof to do that, so they asked you.

it also sucks to be put in that position. does your boss’ boss know that this was being done?

in the future if this is requested of you, get it in writing and make sure you copy any needed individuals that you see would benefit from knowing that this was requested of you. that way you cover yourself.

i don’t know if any of that makes sense….

REPORT ABUSE

billd

There is a mandate from the central office that states that all agencies ‘shall monitor for “misuse of government resources”.’

(among other things)

(oops, more later, gotta run for groceries! The cats are out of food and litter……… they’ll be ticked.)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I saw this topic…boy…a sigh of relief. I have this particular ADD trait for quite some time. Now I am a boss and its actually even harder. Although my situation isnt quite the same as the one starting this thread, I still can relate to the position he’s in being another ADD person (and a boss)…IMHO, in this situation, its better to keep quiet (IF you can, and I DO know how HARD that can be)…again being ADD…blirting is another ‘weakness’… *sigh*

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Update – more info – Because I’ve found evidence of what *MAY* be a federal crime, it’s now an obligation to go to the proper “authorities”. It’s a moral and ethical responsibility, and I can’t sit with the knowledge. It’s beyond “improper use of time and resources”.

I went to my boss Thursday last week, and he says when he’s back from vacation this week he’ll take care of the situation…….. we’ll see. Otherwise, yes, there are two sites I can go to and not reveal who I am.

I’m SO good at my job and computer forensics and investigations…………. I end up in these situations.

Several years ago, I found some things on an employee computer, the DCI came in and confiscated the computer and it became a criminal investigation.

REPORT ABUSE

veronica

wow! dude, that’s great. you should feel fabulous that you are able to do these tasks and put people in “check”. sometimes reality hits some not so hard as others and a simple ‘slap on the hand’ won’t cut it. glad to see that you followed your gut with this one.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Amazing indeed. Keep us posted!

What came up for me in reading your first posting is that while your situation actually is quite serious, I used to be able to work myself up into a real state of hand-trembling, pacing and muttering, hand-wringing, “Oh My God” agitation over things that were far less serious. Trying to control everything.

Especially around the kids. And the divorce.

And of course, it was never as bad as my runaway thoughts would imagine.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)