Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Scary experience with caffiene

Scary experience with caffiene2014-03-07T17:19:24+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Scary experience with caffiene

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kelsbabe555

Ok so yesterday was my first day taking concerta, 36mg. I took it at 7am before I went to school.. I didnt really like it. I felt sad, and every little thing would make me cry. I ate a whole pint of Ben & Jerry’s when I got home (terrible, I know but a bad day calls for it) the ice cream was coffee flavored and after I looked up the caffeine content, It was very high. I went to go to sleep lastnight a few hours after eating the ice cream, and Ive never been so frightened in my entire life. as soon as I started to doze off, my body tensed up, I got a sick feeling in my stomach, and the anxiety was horrible. I literally felt as if there was someone in the room, and weird things such as hearing tapping or someone walking kept occurring. at one point, I even heard my name being called in a loud whisper-like voice. I was so afraid that eventually I went and slept with my parents. Has a similar experience happened to anyone else or am I absolutely crazy?

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

@kelsbabe555

I’ve had the experience of taking Concerta or Adderall, and drinking coffee too – and having that just be way too much. Weird mood swings, bizarre emotional reactions, strange energy fluctuations – it is not a good feeling. There could be other things going on, like hormonal changes, maybe? I don’t know what the science or official line is on this type of experience, but it would probably be a good idea to check with your doctor. I can only say that yes, I’ve had things like that happen to me while taking these medications and adding caffeine or sugar into the mix.

REPORT ABUSE

helenboll

I have to say I think this was more to do with the Concerta being new to you than with the coffee icecream. You should expect weird side effects for the first few weeks or so. I am sorry if your doctor did not inform you of this!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I would say eating a whole pint of ice cream right before bed had more to do with it than the caffein content in the ice cream.

I’m not judging. Some days you just have to go for the Ben and Jerry’s. But an imbalance in your blood glucose levels can actually cause nightmares. Combine that with the overstimulation of your brain from the new medication, and the caffein, and that could explain what happened to you.

It is probably a good idea to cut out the caffein for awhile, until you have adjusted to the medication. And eat the Ben and Jerry’s a little earlier in the day. If you are still having problems with extreme emotional ups and downs after a few days, talk to your doctor. It may be Concerta isn’t right for you.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Or it may be that 36 mg was too high a dose for you. If you’re still having those side-effects after a few days, you might ask your doctor about trying a lower dose.

Just don’t make any changes to your medication without asking your doctor, or at least your pharmacist. However, if you feel chest pains or extreme panic, talk to your doctor or pharmacist ASAP, and don’t hesitate to call 911.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I agree with Larynxa. If it was your first time on Concerta and assuming you haven’t taken quick release methylphenidate before, you should have been started on 18 mg, titrated up to 27 and then 36 mg if necessary. Maybe you have taken MPH before which is why your doctor thought it would be OK? If not, then I would question your doctor.

I take fast release methylphenidate and tried Concerta. I hated it. Concerta made me very emotional and I stopped it after a short trial. The fast release suits me better.

Try a lower dose to get your body used to it and titrate up if necessary. If it doesn’t suit, then try the fast release – although remembering to take it is a pain.

REPORT ABUSE

sar316

That is awful. I didn’t enjoy starting concerta either. For the first week or two I felt so odd. I was emotional, and no one told me that I would feel like two completely different people or how to deal with it. I was anxious and that didn’t help the stress, but I can’t say that it made my sleep any worse than it was before I started on the med. Actually, after being on it for a little while I had actually started to sleep for the first time in my life, now I can’t miss a day or me sleep goes right back to no sleep at night.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I was going to say that the dose might be to high, but I have no experience with Concerta and wasn’t sure of the dosing.

I’m still fighting with my doctor to get my Vyvanse dose increased. And I think I would do better on a fast release med too, just going by my brief experience with Ritalin many years ago. But I will never get him to go along with it. It’s like banging my head against the wall.

I hope you got things sorted out @kelsbabe555. sar316 has a good point with the sleep. When the medication is working right, you should sleep soundly, probably better than you ever have.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)