Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

School study skills

School study skills2010-08-20T17:25:49+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments School study skills

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey there. I currently work as an EMT/Paramedic and will returning to school in a month to start a two year course for my Advanced Paramedic training. I love my job and have the ability to think fast, remain calm and work well in a practical nature. The next level course has lots and lots of memorization, reading, drug dosages, names, interactions, protocols, etc and to top it off I am undertaken their distance program… I know this course is going to cause me problems for my lack of study skills (right now I should be learning drug dosages for my pass/fail first day!).

So my question to all is… what study techniques can work with someone is newly diagnosed with ADD?

Thanks in advance!

REPORT ABUSE

Monika

Hi Ritchie,

Congratulations on continuing your education. My favorite Greek sayings are “Nothing in Excess” and “Know Thyself”. Ok, well, the first one won’t apply to you but the second quote will.

What type of learner are you?

Think about how you learn best.

Are you a visual learner?

Perhaps color coded lists/charts for the different drugs. You can organize them according to how common they are. Put all the dosages in different colors. ex. normal dose green, higher dose yellow, dangerous dose red or perhaps red for interactions?

An Auditory learner? use your MP3 player to record the drug protocols (only do 5 minutes at a time and make your voice interested and lively or perhaps you may fall asleep) then listen every chance you get. In the car, the shower (if MP3 is waterproof), when brushing your teeth

Tactile/kinesthetic? These learners need to move, so go walking with your MP3 player, or gardening or write it out, then write it again, then again.

If you want some time management tips, do a search for the great and unfortunately late, Randy Pausch’s Time Management lecture, its worth your time.

Also, although most think http://www.flylady.net is only for home management, I was able to get my distance learning doctoral degree using her system and may be of use to you.

Best wishes and keep us posted about your journey?

M

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

Is there someone in your life who can act as your “body double” for studying? ADDers often find memorization much easier and quicker when someone else systematically quizzes them out loud at set intervals. It keeps you on track, and engages the other parts of your brain. The other person needs to be someone with a lot of initiative who can be firmly supportive.

Congratulations on your accomplishments so far!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi!

I am a ‘mature’ student. One thing that I would highly recommend is checking into accomodations that are available to you. If you have proof of your diagnosis, you should be able to get such accomodations as extra time on tests, use of a laptop for notetaking, etc. It was what got me through some of my classes.

Check with the learning disabilites centre within your school and see what they can do to help you with your study habits as well. Key word: organization! I also found out that images help me learn so I would turn all of my notes into charts with graphics due to my horrible memory. I found remembering images easier than words.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi I’m a new member and just recently went back to school.I found out I am a strong auditory,kinistetic learner who enjoys learning so much that it has become a bonafide addiction. My “Achile’s heel” is my ADHD makes it difficult to sit and read Adderal helps but what I’m looking for is effective stratigies that I can use to improve the rate and speed that I read without sacrificing comprehension. Thanks in advance

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I learn best through a combination of auditory/visual/kinistetic. As you’re reading fiddle with one hand (I prefer a cereal bowl of dried beans b/c the soothing sound & texture) – only as needed b/c it’s easy to switch to focusing on that than the reading, take notes (I personaly find it’s best to do this IN the book so I only need to flip through to see what I was thinking where); as important things in plot or symbology or complex concepts/information happen/arise I summurize out loud. It takes a little longer than just reading strait through, but I spend less time reading overall than my classmates b/c I’m only reading it once. I’ve also found that with the beans I can bring a pocket sized draw-string bag of them to quizes/tests/exams b/c it doesn’t make any more noise than a tapping pencil. Just talk to the instructor before so they know what’s going on.

Happy studying :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank-you Laura your suggestions will help alot. I will put your suggestions to good use.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Laura what study stregies do you employ when you study math spicificlly… algebra?

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not exactly sure what Laura is suggesting, but something about fidgeting with a bowl of beans to keep her concentration while reading and tests.

There was something about it making no more noise than a tapping pencil. Well, I’d have to say, if someone were making that much noise in a test, I’d flat out blurt for you to stop. But first my anxiety levels would rise and I would waste precious test time being angry. And after you stopped, I’d spend more time coming down from being pissed off.

But for students too shy to say something, you’ve probably done that to a lot of people over the semesters. I’d suggest you STOP making any noise in a test. For the sake of any other ADDer present.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

X- your’e right if I were in the same room with people making noise I would get distracted this is why next semester I’ll be taking test in a private room.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kazuo,

What works well for me

Math: take as many notes as you can without missing out on info. (it will change depending on how much drawing and/or graphing is needed). If your instructor offers it, look over the notes/slides/readings for the next class. If not offered up-front, ask. Many instructors will provide them, especially if you receive “special services” (I assume you do b/c private testing). Flashcards. MAKE THEM YOURSELF!!! The act of making them is just as much studying as running through them a few times (don’t forget to run throug them several times too ;) ). Do practice problems. If your homework is #4-12 even, do 5-11 odd & compare w/ the books’ answers. If it is available & you have the time: math study lab.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

my computer’s being funky, so this will b severl small posts.

Note taking for Math:

5-10 min before class: review notes from the previous class &/or do a “memory dump”. This is not just a mini-study session, it will help your mind transition and be better prepared to learn the up-coming subject.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Note taking In Class: spiral notebook, pencils, eraser, ruler or someother straight edge.

Start each class with fresh paper. At the top class & date. Then any class anouncments such as due-dates, up-coming tests. Draw a horizontal line across the page for each new section. “Sample”: Heading, line, anouncments, line, warm-up problems (show work), line, review, line, new topic, practice problems, line.

Write down definitions, formulas, examples with all steps shown, graphs/charts. Don’t worry about neatness, your the only one who needs to read them. Circle things you’re going to need help/extra-help on. Draw a box around things that need to be made into flashcards.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Note taking After Class: separate spiral notebook, pencils, colored pencils/pens/highlighters, blank index cards

Rewrite your class notes carefully, checking against the text book. Make these notes neat so you can use them for studying & reference in future math/science classes. Use color to highlight/emphasise important information & grouping; i.e. all quadratic example problems, graphs, and “tricks” have a blue box around them; all important formulas have a red star next to them; etc.

Make the new flash cards. Color code these too; i.e. blue for formulas, green for graphs, red for mnemonic devices (PEMDAS, etc.)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Use the notes, text, returned: homework, quizes, tests for study sessions of 30min or more. Carry the flashcards w/ you to flip throug on the bus, breaks at work, waitting for your friends at the restaurant…

Studying this way got me a 4.0 in a class w/ a 50% fail rate. It works. The hardest part is sticking to it. The second is knowing what you need to know not just to pass, but to be able to continue on to the next class.

Happy Studying :)

Peace

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)