Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Self Employment.

Self Employment.2010-02-02T22:45:07+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Self-Employment Self Employment.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

About my business: It was very slow and frustrating in the beginning but I didn’t borrow any $ to start out. Things got better as I hung in there but it took about 3 years to really get off the ground. Fall down 7 times, get up 8 times.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I love having my own business, it suits me and I love the hunt and the chase of a new project. However recently I’m looking at switching to a different industry in which I used to work and that has some cross over with my current business. It’s more active overall and I believe with careful analysis that it will be a much greater success than what I am doing now.

With recently being diagnosed and not yet on medication, my husband and I have determined that a business with less ‘back end’ is better for me, meaning that a business that is 80% paperwork — proposals, budgeting and admin is not right for me, there isn’t enough stimulation. Duhhhh, that’s why it hasn’t been successful and I only shine in the 20% that is creative and customer facing.

And thanks, a good comment from someone here about morning brain and afternoon brain. I’m starting to do errands and active tasks in the morning and try not to feel guilty about that, even very active early AM exercise isn’t enough to get me to focus in the mornings. Whereas afternoons I can be a machine in hyper focus — a better time for invoicing. I’m already learning from you here!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have never heard that before, morning brain and afternoon brain! Thank you! Sometimes it takes somebody else to point out the obvious.

I just naturally do all the creative stuff in the morning and the afternoon is for the boring stuff, but not too boring. I could never understand why I couldn’t get to the boring stuff (ie – get going on productive stuff) until 2 in the afternoon or even 7 at night.

REPORT ABUSE

Evelyn
    Participant

I realize this is an old thread but I’d just like to say thank you it has been inspiring. Especially the morning brain, afternoon brain thing.

I cannot get motivated to do anything outside of my brain until after noon, unless I force myself. I get plenty confused though. I have been fighting to stay in the game for quite a while now, and I’m beginning to see positive results, not good at the maintenance part yet but still working on that. There has to be a time of day or some trigger that will make that part work better. If there is such a thing I’ll find it.

I’m 55 too. had a sign business that I kept nursing back to health every time I neglected it. Sometimes for months, sometimes for years. this last time it was about 8 years I had officially retired in 2007 when I went into truck driving, not a smart choice, but I had to try it. I know one thing that I don’t want to do for a company now! …besides work in a factory, deli, or fast-food. None of those are bad choices but they are a terrible way for me to make a living.

I have these moments of brilliance, but fail at the “doing” part of it. I am feeling the pinch of the ticking clock so I get frustrated with myself a lot easier. But what is also getting easier is forgiving myself. Understanding where I fail, and looking for ways to not fail.

I get comfortable in my head and I don’t want to leave it.

I have to say I like having a job though, it isn’t paying much but I know the money will be there in a couple of days. I like knowing that. So I am building on that feeling to pull myself out of the rut I keep treading or falling back into.

I’ve been trying to use writing as a way to make money for myself. That i where some of my flashes of brilliance turn up. When I’m passionate about a subject, and it lends itself to writing about it easily, I turn out some pretty good stuff. I suppose it’s like all writers they have to get primed up to do anything worth publishing.

I have 3 websites which are in desperate need of content that I haven’t been able to deliver beyond my flashes of inspiration. I have temporarily forgotten how to organize my thoughts, or I never knew and just realized it. Not sure which is accurate but I don’t do the work enough to keep up with understanding the process of making a website. So I have to learn it all over again just to get some copy out. That is getting very boring. It would be great to have someone to take care of that part, but I have to get something a little more promising before I can attract that kind of help.

Okay I don’t know where I’m going with this now so I’ll close for now.
    Evelyn

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)