Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

self medicating by chewing gum?!

self medicating by chewing gum?!2012-11-07T18:10:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Alternative Therapies self medicating by chewing gum?!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know what you’re thinking “Man, this chick is whack!”, and you’re right (I’m freaking nuts man!). That said, my son and I have been using gum as an intervention for a while.

I just chew gum to end a craving, and chew it while I’m driving.

My son uses it a little differently. I started giving my son gum in the car, when he was 5. Anytime he was forced to sit still for any amount of time he would chew. His clothes, his gloves, his toys, paper, napkins, whatever he could get his hands on would go in his mouth. With experience we’ve also found while chewing, its easier for him to maintain focus so now his teacher has a supply when he seems to need it.

I always assumed it was the chewing, but I’ve recently discovered a dopamine connection.Many gums are sweetened with aspartame which contains phenylalanine, which is a precursor for tyrosine, which is used to synthesize dopamine. I don’t know if its enough to make any real difference, but one way or another it works for us :)

REPORT ABUSE

ipsofacto

Chewing gum is an accommodation that schools in the US allow for kids with ADHD.

On another note, PICA is normally associated with iron deficiency, but can also be an indication of mineral deficiency.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

We concentrate better when we’re moving around. Whether pacing while talking on the phone, or fidgeting while we have to sit through a long meeting, or chewing gum to get us through a class—it’s all movement.

I try to avoid sugar-free gums, because I fail to see why it takes 5 different artificial sweeteners to get them sweet enough. That’s like saying you need water from 5 different sources, to get your soup the right consistency!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its really weird, I usually can’t stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, I’m a supertaster so I can always taste it and can’t stand it (a friend put splenda in pulled pork recipe, I was the only one who noticed). Though, gum usually doesn’t bother me. Also I’ve tried the naturally sweetened gums (as I prefer not to ingest chemicals) and they’re not as satisfying for me. And they don’t last as long for me. (This was all before I read about phenylalanine producing dopamine).

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

That’s really interesting about the “phenylalanine, which is a precursor for tyrosine, which is used to synthesize dopamine” chemistry thing. I hope people don’t start snorting splenda! lol. I hope someone googles it and finds more interesting stuff. I’m a still a lil too spun out from all the election crap that’s been on TV lately. Oh crap!, it’s already 8:00…

Your son sounds like he’s part puppy! hehe. ***grin*** ***chuckle chuckle*** Sounds like a fun son. I think hyperactive people are just plain more fun. Last night Robin Williams was on David Letterman, (I think it was last night, not sure) And he’s still super hyperactive and funny. The world would indeed be a horribly boring place without us ADDers stirring up the doo doo. Huh?

Jimi Hendrix used to chew gum while on stage a lot. I’ll bet that takes a lot of accordianation.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Robbo, you’re right my son is a fun guy. Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately with all the impulse control issues at school its easy to lose track of his awesomeness sometimes.

And they would have to snort aspartame, not splenda. Nutrasweet or Sweet and low I think (*NOT a recommendation).

Anyway, I’m not even sure its that which is helping (diet soft drinks do nothing). It could just be the mechanics.

And I imagine that would take coordination. I tried to flip my hair while walking and chewing gum and nearly fell out a window. True story.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

LOL!, maybe stay on the first floor when chewing gum :-) Thanks for the fun visual in my imagination. I could see you lurching toward the window in my mind.

Great Avatar ya have there too. This is still my favorite web site.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I think the texture of the gum has something to do with it too. My favourite is Bubble Tape regular (the pink kind). Blows fantastically huge bubbles, doesn’t stick to your face when they pop, and has a very satisfyingly-textured gum base.

I used to love Popeye Shredded Bubble Gum, but it’s long-since been discontinued. It was essentially just Big League Chew shredded bubble gum (same taste & texture as Bubble Tape regular), but in bright lime green.

Other favourite, long-gone gums: Adams Sour Wildberry and Adams Sour Strawberry (not powerfully sour, just tangy & mouthwatering, with flavours I still taste in my dreams), Bubble Yum Fruit Punch, Bubblicious Tropical Tornado (bright turquoise gum!), and Bubble Fudge (chocolate bubble gum).

Note to self: Must buy more Bubble Tape…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)