Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Setting up desk space

Setting up desk space2013-05-23T16:24:03+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

kc5jck
    Participant

Tiny House – yeah.  I looked up “gypsy wagon” pictures and saw some great renditions.  You could get a horse and use him for a methane generator to power you house along with a solar cell panel on the roof when he is not needed to pull your house.  The manure would also be good for your compost pile for the garden in which you would grow all your food.  Put out a sign “Fortunes Told” and you could tax deduct the whole thing as a home office as well as generate income.  You could advertise a free tour with every fortune.

I had a horse once.  Kind of a half ton sourpuss.  She had a filly we called “Little one.”  Little one grew up to be bigger than mom.  One time after church, my daughter saw Little One lying down asleep in the pasture.  She went up, grabbed a hoof, shook it and said BOO!  It was so funny, the horse freaked and couldn’t get up quickly enough, ran a short distance, turned around and looked at my daughter as if to say “Are you crazy?”

I realize none of this has to do with setting up desk space, but – you understand.

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

@kc5jck

I like that idea a lot. I saw some great circus caravan photos while researching the Tiny House. I’ve always wanted to be a fortune teller.

🙂

I wonder if you actually could deduct the whole thing as a home office – you think?

A story like that would be great to blog about – fortune teller crosses the country while getting to know all kinds of people in national parks – with photos documenting the whole trip!

Sure, you laugh now, but just wait and see when I make national news.

Not sure about horses, though, composting aside. The last time I was on a horse, I fell off and severely sprained my ankle. Trusting your safety to a 1500 pound animal doesn’t seem like a good idea to me at all.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Maybe there are eight tiny reindeer in need of off season work that could pull your wagon.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Organize your task, that is the best way that you can do to attend to them accordingly.

Regards,
    Ricky Dotson
    “works at http://caldwells.com/

REPORT ABUSE

Alan Brown

Hi @Tiddler  — you mentioned something interesting about not being able to “work in the same place every day” — yet you seemed to want to force yourself to do so. I say it’s totally OK to move around. If you can be more productive by shifting location once in a while, go for it.

In fact, I use a little trick i call Venue Change:

When your mind becomes worn from study or a tough task, get up and go somewhere else. To another room. To another chair at the same desk or in the same room. To your porch. To a coffee shop.

The movement gets blood and oxygen to your brain…and the brief break rests your brain muscles – plus, the new environment gives you a psychological fresh start.

Yes, you’ve run the clock a bit by the time you’re back to working, but you can get gads more mileage from your brain’s fuel tank with this simple trick.

Give it a try. And never assume that just cuz “normal people” do something (like sitting in the same seat all freakin’ day and be super-productive) doesn’t mean it’s right for YOUR special wiring!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Crusher,

That’s really interesting. At the moment I am doing some really boring stuff at work (grading papers apologies to any students here!) and today I wandered from my office to a meeting room and then to a seat near the photocopier. The papers are easily transportable.

I wasn’t really even aware that I had done this until a colleague walked past me and made a comment about my wandering.  Somehow sitting in different spots helped me with the task.

So when I get bored and stagnate in my office, I will go to other places to work. This is a new concept for me and is so simple yet brilliant! Your message made me realise that actually what I was doing today was my subconscious helping me out and I might try moving around more when it’s practical to do so.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I agree with Alan Brown about moving around to a different space for working. At the moment I’m on the couch. Usually, I’m down in my office. (Basement. Fewer distractions.)

I would like to add that I used to get upset that I’d only use an organizing system for a few months, or use it sporadically. Now I have come to the realization that I have about 10 different PDF’s I’ve created to organize my day. And the one I use on a particular day or week really depends on what I’m doing. And since working in television is very seasonal, with very distinct stages — writing, shooting, post production, promotion & publicity, I have very different looking work days, and work weeks.

What matters is picking the right one for what I have to do today.

REPORT ABUSE

Alan Brown

Thanks, Rick, for the permission to shuttle between organizing documents. Could never really figure out why i had several templates that came in and out of “fashion” — now I realize why — because needs change…daily tasks change. Maybe not as dramatically as, for instance, when you’re in production for your TV show vs just regular running of your business. Will now dust off a couple of the old templates to see which might be a better fit at the moment…AB

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

If different locations works to keep sex more interesting, why shouldn’t it help to keep work more interesting.  It’s a no brainer.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Kc5jck, I don’t wish to know that. Kindly leave the stage.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen, you’ve been a great audience.

And now let’s hear it for Larynxa performing her new smash hit, “Taking Off Your Clothes.”  🙂

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Here’s an article on how to “make more time in your day”  Everyone is going to like this:

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/sex-addiction/2014/05/5-surprising-ways-to-make-more-time-in-your-day/

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Oh, that is good. Especially this part:

“For me it was always the fear that if I didn’t do something as soon as I thought of it I would forget to do it entirely.  In reality I usually remember eventually.”

For me, it’s not just a fear that I will forget, it’s  a certainty. And sure, I will remember eventually. The problem is “eventually” is usually at least one day after I needed to do it.

And this part:

“Fear of being wrong can also lead to being trapped into doing everything properly and on time.  And here again it is important to be willing to be imperfect.  Remember the recovery saying: “I am enough, I have enough, I do enough.””

Would someone like to tell all of my former employers?

Some great advice. Except for the procrastinating. Not good. Definitely not good. If I put it off until I want to do it it’s not getting done.

I think I need to try moving around more. I kind of get stuck in one spot usually, physically and mentally. Maybe a change of scenery would help unstick me. Though at the moment, I might be literally stuck. I wish those thunderstorms they keep saying we’re going to get would hurry up and get here. At this point I’d settle for the strong wind gusts.

REPORT ABUSE

ramblinon

Re: Whiteboard

i’ve had a whiteboard in the past three offices I’ve lived in…..currently a home office.

It is good to get the thought out in front of you if you are visual and write it if kinetic, but I still haven’t found a great way to use it and keep rolling with it.

I recently changed the Daily section to Weekly because I wasn’t getting things done…..so to ease my guilt feelings.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Yes. The whiteboards at our office help us track everything and keep it visual. And we use lots of colours, so it’s easy to see what my jobs are, which are Ava’s which are Jimi’s, or which might involve two or all three of us.

We break the bigger jobs down into smaller chunks as well, so rather than crossing off one thing, we can see a series of accomplishments, all checked off, and we can also see where something is stuck, and then figure out why.

And this may seem odd, but years ago I read that prolific author Isaac Asimov had a bunch of typewriters in his office, and when he would get stuck on something, he’d jump to another typewriter, or ‘document’, and work on it.  Nowadays the software lets us have as many documents open as we want.  But I actually have two computers on my desk.  One is for things I’m writing, the older one, with the older software, is where I keep lists, jot down ideas, check email, etc.. The act of shifting physically from one computer to the other does something for me.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)