Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Shock therapy; Why is it done? What does it do to help?

Shock therapy; Why is it done? What does it do to help?2011-10-30T04:02:57+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Shock therapy; Why is it done? What does it do to help?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MarkJ

I’m wondering why shock therapy is used on people who have “psychiatric disorders” and depression?

What function does it serve? What does it do to help?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

They are still not quite sure how it works. Something to do with invigorating neurochemical circuits. the neurotransmitter, ie serotonin and sad zoloft egg.. isn’t really how it works.

It is used for only the most severe presentations of mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder. Mostly known for treatment-resistant depression. It is an extremely effective treatment and can give people back their lives. There is some lasting memory affects. You forget some of your past, but it does not usually affect present, long-term and short-term memory storage. and proven not to cause brain damage. I think it should be used more often in people whom many treatments fail.

it does not help anything that is not mood disorder related. ie. schizophrenia, personality disorders, ADHD etc.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

My mother went through that multiple times – for depression.

It’s often viewed as cruel, uneffective, and unnecessary with more modern treatments.

I’m not rendering judgement, just passing what I heard since it hits so close to home. Frankly, living with her depression, and all the issues, and hospitalizations, etc. – we think the drugs did more good once they figured out which, and new ones came along. I was pretty young so can’t really recall the impact of the shock treatments directly.

Her brother has schizophrenia, her father we suspect as ADD, I’m severely ADHD, my youngest son is severely ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

My grandfather who is Bipolar had this done. He was in a severe depression and it was so bad he had just given up on life and thought he was dying. They did the shock therapy and it brought him right back to his normal self! He was in a psych unit for 3 months, after his therapy he is now back living on his own when we thought that wouldnt ever be possible again…

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)