Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Should medication be persued after a hiatus?

Should medication be persued after a hiatus?2010-12-07T22:38:47+00:00

The Forums Forums For The Non-ADD Relationships Should medication be persued after a hiatus?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

A little background:

I have been dating my boyfriend who has A.D.D. for almost 3 years. I love this man more than anything and he definitely keeps me on my toes!

Since his teens he has been on Concerta, which he found has really helped him while in school. Even though it helped him, he had trouble taking it as he didn’t like some of the side effects it produced. He wouldn’t take it on the weekends unless he knew that he really needed to concentrate/get motivation for something.

Recently, he graduated college, got a full-time job, and got off of his parents health insurance. He stopped taking his Concerta after he graduated because he felt as though he didn’t need it to really concentrate anymore.

He has been thinking about getting back on an A.D.D. medicine because he thinks his work performance would increase. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation. I want to make sure that we are well informed before something is pursued.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

OKay – I was on Dexedrine during university – it saved my degree. Then started working immediately following graduation and completely forgot about the meds for two years. My job was new and exiting – who needs meds. Then in about 2007 I started sucking big time. I was late all the time and it was taking me twice as long to complete projects. So, I renewed my perscriptions and started again in the summer. I got tons more done, and gained lots of respect at work and in my industry. Okay, medication disappears again. Slowly going downhill now for the next three years. Almost quit my job/career twice. Went to my doctor and renewed perscriptions last month and started Adderal XR (timed release Dexedrine basically). In just two weeks, people who don’t even know i have ADHD are like “Where have you been for the last 3 years???”. My 13 year old cousin is on Concerta and had a really rough two weeks when he first started it, but the side effects have tamed down now. I find Adderall and Dex actually helped my anxiety and improved my overall mood. Anyways, I’m sure you can see a pattern here. Now, unless I change careers, I’ll probably stay on meds indefinately as I’ve learnt my lesson two times over.

Hope this helps!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)