Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Side affects of Concerta – sucking on tongue????

Side affects of Concerta – sucking on tongue????2010-06-06T06:50:49+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Side affects of Concerta – sucking on tongue????

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bettyboo

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else finds themself sucking on their tongue with Concerta. I just started sucking on my tongue and I’ve been on Concerta for almost a year…It is driving me crazy and i’m not sure why…I have noticed that when I’m stressed I seemed to be doing it more.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop? Or, even Why it happens?

Elizabeth

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very interesting. I’m on 54mg of Concerta. I too suck my tongue AND I’ve noticed i also suck, well not really suck, but more of a vacuum my lower lip. I’ve caught myself trying to suck the inside of my lower lip through my teeth causing a sore. It goes away in a few hours (I guess it heals) Only to start again. Happens ALL the time whether I’m stressed or not.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Strange… I am on Adderall extended release and have been on it for about 10 months. …I also catch myself sucking the inside of my lower lip through my teeth!!!! what is this all about??????????? Does this mean too high a dose? Is this a motor tic?

REPORT ABUSE

CherylW

Me, I think a couple reasons that I’m sucking my tounge in because one of the side effects of concerta itself is the mouth becoming ‘dry’, or at least thinking it is, and/or instead of twidling our thumbs, we’re just ‘keeping busy’ doing that instead. Have you ever seen that when some babies are in front of you, they will naturally do the ‘sucking’ action, while they’re awake or dreaming? I think that maybe when the meds go to our temperal lobe, (the front part of our brains), it is stimulating not only our concious, but sub-concious actions. When I wasn’t on concerta, I didn’t do the action, but now that I am on them, it’s like a daily action.

Think of it this way, from the time we were born until the time of the meds, our minds were going ‘a mile a minute’. Now that we have the meds, we are not only relaxed more physically, but alot more emotionally, and it might be our bodies are doing what we should have way back then! lol You never know though, one or both possibilities it might be true!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am on concerta also, 90mg’s. And I don’t find any sucking at all, no adverse affects from the pill at all for me, right away that is. I did notice I could NOT drink more then 1 cup of coffee in a day when I am on that dosage, when I am used to about 3-4 cups. My body goes into hyperdrive and I start getting anxious and jittery. So I guess that would be a good side affect, no more caffiene. BUT, my wife was complaining that I started to ‘moan’ in my sleep about 6 months ago. It is loud enough that it is disturbing her sleep, not mine. I don’t have night mares, it is when I breath out, everytime. I did a bit of an experiment with my pills(with my dr’s permission of course). We took myself right off and I stopped moaning almost instantley. I am going to go back on them here soon and see if it correlates correctly and then we will know. Anyone ever run into this?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dry mouth, activation of slight anxiety, self soothing/stimulating behavior, increase sensitivity to body sensations etc. Lots of possible reasons. It is not a reported side effect but it is understandable. Talk to your dentist for some solutions.

Always speak to your doctor or before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Bettyboo

Hi Dr J. After I read your post I realized that when I stress…I seem to be more aware of the dry mouth and the sucking on the back of my teeth. I guess I just don’t know how to stop the stress…any ideas?

Always thankful,

Elizabeth

REPORT ABUSE

CherylW

the best therapy that i’ve ever had to help deal with stress is called ‘cognitive behavior therapy’. it helped me when i was in major depression, when i finally told my soon-enough ex that i wanted to divorce him, and the times that i’m having ‘major’ issues. if you’re unable to get help through the government via public mental health worker(pmhw), and are unable to afford a private dr., then look for the book called “Feeling Good”, by David D. Burns. the book is about 2 inches thick, but the parts that helped me were the ones that showed me what ‘distorted thoughts’ were, and how i was might have been assuming what other people were saying and/or doing. he wrote another called “Feeling Good Together”, which has helped, and still is helping, me on the way that i talk to people. (it’s only about an inch thick!lol) another book, if you are having troubles with kids is called “How To Talk So Kids Will Listen; How To Listen So Kids Will Talk”. (not sure on author).

all have and still do help me often. i do need to look back into them, or the stuff i got from my pmhw, lots, (cause i’m on high dosage of concerta, lol), so don’t give up, it can get better. i know this cause since i wrote my last post on here, i’ve made sure to re-read lots, and don’t do the ‘sucking’ action anymore!

good luck! :-)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)